2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

There is now way you're 21. you have to be 12 or the best tro ever. So I will say congrats dude. Well done. Best trolling I've seen on these boards.

Don't feed it!

While I'm less than thrilled with the new jaguars logo, I can't wait until the uniforms come out. Anything they do will be better than the last set.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they changed I hope they go in a new direction and not revert back to the past, but I do hope they keep the metallic purple as it looks outstanding on the field.

good luck with that

If anything I hope they don't revert back to the helmet being a different shade of purple than the jersey. That was horrible looking.

Even if they did go to an updated throwback I doubt that they would go full throwback where the helmet didn't match. That was mostly due to the helmet technology of the 70s - teams with non-metallic helmets switched from pained colors to molded colors that didn't necessarily match. The Vikings, Rams and Giants were probably the most egregious cases of mismatch. Doing the mismatch is "being authentic" with a throwback worn once or twice per year but it shouldn't fly for the full-time look.

I suspect that the Vikings would keep the new helmet (or at worst just go back to the old-style horn on the current helmet) and do something that kind of updates the throwback - think Bills and 49ers most recent designs or possibly the 49ers 1996 design.

The Dolphins wear white at home to force the opposing team to use their dark uniforms, and there IS an advantage. For example, this past year they forced the Raiders to wear their black uniforms in Week 2. Wearing black in that oppressive South Florida heat in September is no joke. I watched that game, and the Raiders were gassed by halftime. Ya, the Raiders sucked this year anyway, but the heat definitely played a role in their blowout loss to the Dolphins.

With all due respect, bull.

Where was this huge "advantage" in 2009, 2010 and 2011, when the Fish won all of ONE game played in the daytime at home in September and October? Remember the game in 2011, when Timmy Tebow rallied the Broncos late in the heat in Miami? You would have thought that the Broncos would have been so "gassed" in the 4th quarter and OT, that they would have had no energy left in their navy jersey's. Must have been divine intervention.

Again, why does the University of Miami not use the same 'strategy' in home games in the same stadium in the same weather conditions? And they actually win games at home (at least more then the Dolphins have in the past decade) wearing either orange or green home costumes.

Its time for the Dolphins to follow the Redskins and Texans lead and end the white at home nonsense all year long. Leave that "tradition" to America's Past-Its-Prime team in Dallas.

See, to me, having followed them for most of my life, the Dolphins have always been a white team. Monochrome white just looks right with them, where it looks out-of-place on most other teams. For that matter, the Buccaneers were the same way until 1996's uniform change. The throwback Bruce games still seem funny to me, since i remember so few games in the orange jerseys. The Cowboys, while their white-wearing ways are tradition at this point, have never been a white team in my mind, due to the silver helmets and pants.

I think the Dolphins just look right when wearing all white. I don't care if the choice has any justification because aesthetically all-white just seems right. I don't see any reason to switch to aqua full-time at home. However, if the new uniforms feature anything but a white helmet, that goes out the window.

See, to me, having followed them for most of my life, the Dolphins have always been a white team. Monochrome white just looks right with them, where it looks out-of-place on most other teams. For that matter, the Buccaneers were the same way until 1996's uniform change. The throwback Bruce games still seem funny to me, since i remember so few games in the orange jerseys. The Cowboys, while their white-wearing ways are tradition at this point, have never been a white team in my mind, due to the silver helmets and pants.

I think the Dolphins just look right when wearing all white. I don't care if the choice has any justification because aesthetically all-white just seems right. I don't see any reason to switch to aqua full-time at home. However, if the new uniforms feature anything but a white helmet, that goes out the window.

Just for gits and shiggles, here's some info on the white-at-home phenomena in the NFL:

1. The NFL started allowing teams to wear white at home in 1964. Almost all NFL teams wore white at home at least a few times during the 1960s. The Cowboys were the one team that has kept that tradition.

2. Amazingly, the Buccaneers only wore white at home for full seasons six times: 1976, 1989-91, 1994, and 1996.

3. The Dolphins have not worn aqua jerseys at home for a full season since 1971.

4. NFL teams wearing white at home win 51-53% of their games...not exactly an overwhelming advantage.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

4. NFL teams wearing white at home win 51-53% of their games...not exactly an overwhelming advantage.

And if you took the Cowboys out of that equation (because the Cowboys are, traditionally, a team with a higher winning percentage who makes no claim to wearing white for any "heat advantage") the percentage would drop even more.

The "white is an advantage in warm weather" stuff, is IMO nonsense.

And if you took the Cowboys out of that equation (because the Cowboys are, traditionally, a team with a higher winning percentage who makes no claim to wearing white for any "heat advantage") the percentage would drop even more.

It's more psychological and superstition than anything else really

Go A's!

Really? Apples and oranges perhaps but this reminds me of a golden moment where the little guy's common sense left some big cheeses stammering. My first airline had cream-colored planes and after we got bought out, they paid somebody a bunch of money to come up with a new livery. They gathered a bunch of employees and had a huge draped model to show off. They pull off the drape...

MuseAir+pictures-4.jpg

...and everybody oohs and ahhs until a guy in the back finally raises his hand. The bigwigs call on him and he says, "Sir, that's a fine looking airplane and all but I work down in Brownsville and it's over a hundred degrees a lot of the time during the summer. Seems like that dark color will just soak up that heat, won't it?." The execs all look at each other and at the design people and it's obvious nobody ever even considered that. Well, those planes were like ovens on the ground in hot weather, to the point that they added a request to the F/As' "Welcome to wherever" announcement asking people to pull down their window shades to help keep the airplane cooler.

I worked in Tampa and they were no picnic there either.

603456_4027025605416_2092544719_n.jpg

Maybe the most memorable passenger reaction was some frat boy that came up to the gate one day, took one look at those pink, green, and blue pinstripes, and said to his friends, "Dude, it's like a party plane!"

Getting back to the NFL, wonder if anybody's ever asked the players and gotten an honest reaction? I've seen the Saints forced to wear their black in hot weather many times and they don't look too comfortable.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The idea of "make the opposition wear dark jerseys in the heat and we'll wear white" died for Houston on Sep 18, 2005. Management thought it would be a great idea to wear white against the Steelers (who wore black, obviously) with the roof open. No one in management thought about the fans, since Reliant turns into an oven with the roof open when it's warm, much less above 90 degrees. The Texans got crushed, there was a rash of heat-related fan illnesses, and that was that.

They wore white at home for the first half of the season for the next few years, but went to the only-all-white-once-a-year-at-home look after that.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Really? Apples and oranges perhaps but this reminds me of a golden moment where the little guy's common sense left some big cheeses stammering. My first airline had cream-colored planes and after we got bought out, they paid somebody a bunch of money to come up with a new livery. They gathered a bunch of employees and had a huge draped model to show off. They pull off the drape...

MuseAir+pictures-4.jpg

...and everybody oohs and ahhs until a guy in the back finally raises his hand. The bigwigs call on him and he says, "Sir, that's a fine looking airplane and all but I work down in Brownsville and it's over a hundred degrees a lot of the time during the summer. Seems like that dark color will just soak up that heat, won't it?." The execs all look at each other and at the design people and it's obvious nobody ever even considered that. Well, those planes were like ovens on the ground in hot weather, to the point that they added a request to the F/As' "Welcome to wherever" announcement asking people to pull down their window shades to help keep the airplane cooler.

I worked in Tampa and they were no picnic there either.

603456_4027025605416_2092544719_n.jpg

Maybe the most memorable passenger reaction was some frat boy that came up to the gate one day, took one look at those pink, green, and blue pinstripes, and said to his friends, "Dude, it's like a party plane!"

Getting back to the NFL, wonder if anybody's ever asked the players and gotten an honest reaction? I've seen the Saints forced to wear their black in hot weather many times and they don't look too comfortable.

I love stories like that. The executives and design people never considered functionality or bothered to ask the people who directly work with the planes.

Now, paint on metal is a different story than fabric colors.

I used to work on golf courses and one summer the folks in the air conditioned office decided to give us black golf shirts to wear. Outside. All day long. I lost a lot of weight that summer and it was hot, but it was still unpleasant after management ceded to our complaints and gave us white shirts. When you're already wearing shoulder pads and tight spandexy pants, it's going to be hot and uncomfortable for both teams regardless of the jersey colors.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, our ramp unis were navy blue head to toe and we asked for khaki (we got too dirty to wear white) to no avail. Probably wouldn't have made that much difference. Funny you mention losing the weight...when I was working the ramp in New Orleans in '86 we had several days with triple digit temps AND humidity. I lost over 25 lbs in the first couple of months I had that job and I was eating like a horse.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Just for gits and shiggles, here's some info on the white-at-home phenomena in the NFL:

1. The NFL started allowing teams to wear white at home in 1964. Almost all NFL teams wore white at home at least a few times during the 1960s. The Cowboys were the one team that has kept that tradition.

2. Amazingly, the Buccaneers only wore white at home for full seasons six times: 1976, 1989-91, 1994, and 1996.

3. The Dolphins have not worn aqua jerseys at home for a full season since 1971.

Thanks for that. :D That's great info. Where did you find it? I'd be interested to see what the ratio is overall for the Dolphins and Creamsicle Bucs as far as white-to-color home games.

Teams were allowed to wear white at home prior to 1964... In fact Paul Brown's Browns often wore white at home.

Here are pictures of Cleveland at Home in the 1950 NFL title game and of Otto Graham taking the field at home in 1954. See white uniforms.

Otto-Graham.jpgOttoGraham_display_image.jpg?1309831648

Teams were allowed to wear white at home prior to 1964... In fact Paul Brown's Browns often wore white at home.

Here are pictures of Cleveland at Home in the 1950 NFL title game and of Otto Graham taking the field at home in 1954. See white uniforms.

Otto-Graham.jpgOttoGraham_display_image.jpg?1309831648

That's technically true, because the NFL didn't have a policy on jersey colors until 1957. That was the year they mandated that all teams had to have a color jersey (worn at home) and a white jersey. It was too hard to tell the Lions from the 49ers on black-and-white TV. All this info (and from my previous post about the Buccs) is courtesy of timmyb.

The Falcons wore white for all their home games in 1986 and 1989

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived