2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. The NFL started allowing teams to wear white at home in 1964. Almost all NFL teams wore white at home at least a few times during the 1960s. The Cowboys were the one team that has kept that tradition.

Teams were allowed to wear white at home prior to 1964... In fact Paul Brown's Browns often wore white at home.

Here are pictures of Cleveland at Home in the 1950 NFL title game and of Otto Graham taking the field at home in 1954. See white uniforms.

Otto-Graham.jpgOttoGraham_display_image.jpg?1309831648

That's technically true, because the NFL didn't have a policy on jersey colors until 1957. That was the year they mandated that all teams had to have a color jersey (worn at home) and a white jersey. It was too hard to tell the Lions from the 49ers on black-and-white TV. All this info (and from my previous post about the Buccs) is courtesy of timmyb.

The Falcons wore white for all their home games in 1986 and 1989

Is he wearing Chuck Taylors?

My take on what the Vikings should do:

66111_10151593081148296_266247623_n.jpg

That's pretty close to what I'd do... but, is that gold piping down the side panels? If so, weird choice on an otherwise traditional look. Ick.

(I'd also strongly consider a gray facemask... mainly just to annoy certain members of this board :P )

The Dolphins wear white at home to force the opposing team to use their dark uniforms, and there IS an advantage. For example, this past year they forced the Raiders to wear their black uniforms in Week 2. Wearing black in that oppressive South Florida heat in September is no joke. I watched that game, and the Raiders were gassed by halftime. Ya, the Raiders sucked this year anyway, but the heat definitely played a role in their blowout loss to the Dolphins.

With all due respect, bull.

Where was this huge "advantage" in 2009, 2010 and 2011, when the Fish won all of ONE game played in the daytime at home in September and October? Remember the game in 2011, when Timmy Tebow rallied the Broncos late in the heat in Miami? You would have thought that the Broncos would have been so "gassed" in the 4th quarter and OT, that they would have had no energy left in their navy jersey's. Must have been divine intervention.

Again, why does the University of Miami not use the same 'strategy' in home games in the same stadium in the same weather conditions? And they actually win games at home (at least more then the Dolphins have in the past decade) wearing either orange or green home costumes.

Its time for the Dolphins to follow the Redskins and Texans lead and end the white at home nonsense all year long. Leave that "tradition" to America's Past-Its-Prime team in Dallas.

are we really suggesting jersey color makes your team win more games? if that is the case, i'd like the dolphins to switch to purple jerseys maybe we will win more games and make a super bowl every year -_____________________________________________________________________________________________- (yes you deserve this long stale face, both of you)

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I could be completely wrong but didn't Benjamin Franklin of someone famous do an experiment and conclude that blue is the coolest color??

Also I live a few minutes away from Brownsville and can confirm it gets hot as balls.

How hot, exactly, are balls? B)

My take on what the Vikings should do:

66111_10151593081148296_266247623_n.jpg

That's pretty close to what I'd do... but, is that gold piping down the side panels? If so, weird choice on an otherwise traditional look. Ick.

(I'd also strongly consider a gray facemask... mainly just to annoy certain members of this board :P )

You know at least my hatred of the gray facemask is not to annoy other people, it is just my opinion. BTW, I hope the Vikings don't with this type of uniform, but at least the helmet matches the uniform.

spacer.png

I know this is coming out of left field, but the Redskins seriously need to wear the 2002 Fauxbacks again.

Redskins-kickers005.jpg

It's honestly one of the best football uniforms I've ever seen. It should be a full time set!

My only gripe is too many spears. But those pants are just about the shade of gold I wish the Saints would go back to.

The Saints wore white at home quite often back in the day and still do. Under Payton they wear white for the first few home games then switch to black. Seems goofy but oh well.

And speaking of the Saints in white...

2164845.jpg

So much to like in that pic...the "Hey, I'm open! Me! Me!" from the RB while Archie throws elsewhere, Manning's one-bar mask, the sparse crowd...yeah, that was the Saints of the '70s. :D

These are the whites I get a little misty for. Love those gold numbers, especially the "skinny" ones from '67-'68. That's Doug Atkins btw...6 foot 8 of pure badass who was still playing at a pretty high level while finishing out his HOF career in New Orleans. My first Saints game in '69 was his last one and it ended in a huge bench-clearing brawl with the Steelers. Atkins punched some Pittsburgh lineman and crushed in the guy's cage facemask.

Atkins_1967.jpgAbramowicz_1969.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

My only gripe is too many spears. But those pants are just about the shade of gold I wish the Saints would go back to.

The Saints wore white at home quite often back in the day and still do. Under Payton they wear white for the first few home games then switch to black. Seems goofy but oh well.

2164845.jpg

So much to like in that pic...the "Hey, I'm open! Me! Me!" from the RB while Archie throws elsewhere, Manning's one-bar mask, the sparse crowd...yeah, that was the Saints of the '70s. :D

These are the whites I get a little misty for. Love those gold numbers, especially the "skinny" ones from '67-'68. That's Doug Atkins btw...6 foot 8 of pure badass who was still playing at a pretty high level while finishing out his HOF career in New Orleans. My first Saints game in '69 was his last one and it ended in a huge bench-clearing brawl with the Steelers. Atkins punched some Pittsburgh lineman and crushed in the guy's cage facemask.

I'd love to see the Saints go back to a gold like this. It just feel it has so much more character than the washed out gold they use now. I think the NFL as a whole could benefit from going back to more vibrant colors (Saints, Eagles, Rams, etc.) I think that's what I like most about the NFL of the past.

Badger_zps8961c467.png

I know this is coming out of left field, but the Redskins seriously need to wear the 2002 Fauxbacks again.

Redskins-kickers005.jpg

It's honestly one of the best football uniforms I've ever seen. It should be a full time set!

2164845.jpg

Wow, the gold on the sleeves of the Archie pic are so much different than the rest of the golds.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Redskins-kickers005.jpg

2164845.jpg

Wow, the gold on the sleeves of the Archie pic are so much different than the rest of the golds.

Yeah, that's around the time their unis turned into a shadefest. Pants stripes vs. socks stripes for starters, the helmet, the sleeve stripes...meh.

aabf025_archie-manning-photofile-posters.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Redskins-kickers005.jpg

I feel like that uniform has become extremely overrated on here. I like the color scheme, but the current uniform design in and of itself is fine. They just need to match the damn stripes, like so:

605632_display_image.jpg?1294277442

$(KGrHqVHJ!sE63KspWjwBO3Yk!TQJw~~60_35.JPG

dt11gold2-copia.png

And then switch to this helmet with a gold facemask:

dhf_82152_l.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived