2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

We all appreciate new members, esp. those that have such interesting scoops. But it's all so out there, you gotta provide some semblance of evidence or proof. The nonsense that flew ahead of the Marlins re-brand was so ridiculous, especially with the poster saying, "I'm right, you are all wrong, and you'll all be shocked", and then getting beligerent about it when he got called on it.

And if someone in the know can clarify the rules on uniform changes, that would be helpful too.

I figured out quotes haha.

Anyways, I'm not here to pretend I'm better than anybody else, and I won't act like it. That's unfortunate about some one becoming belligerent of something they had absolutely no way of controlling. I can promise you, you will see absolutely none of that from me.

One of my buddies, who I have known for a looooong time was brought on a couple years ago right around the time that Oregon unveiled their first chrome helmets to be a part of the innovative design team at Hydro Graphics Inc, which for those of you who do not know, is a company that works very closely with Nike and other sporting brands. It's partnership with Nike is mostly for helmets. They are responsible for nearly every helmet you guys love to hate. Anyways my buddy's job is to work with his team and pitch designs to Nike and whatever franchise/university/client is paying for their services. He keeps me in the know. It was right around training camp last year when he sent me text saying "Dude, you'll never guess what team just hired us" and he was referring to the Cowboys. I only made the account and posts because I saw Mile High Magic talking about things that do seem pretty out there, and I didn't want him to be crucified for (somehow) being in the know.

Who is gordie_delini?

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been lurking these boards for a long, long time. I don't know how Mile High Magic knows what he knows but he is correct in everything except (as far as I'm aware) the Tampa Bay Pro Combats. That's not to say that they won't happen, but everything else I can confirm.

A lot of you people on these boards are not going to be happy with the changes coming to most of these teams. I'm new to forums with this interface, so I don't yet know how to quote posts, but I saw many of you talking about, for example, the Cowboys switching shades of blue, or the Packers re-aligning stripes on a uniform. You are thinking way too small.

The changes coming to these teams is going to be dramatic. I can't get into a whole lot, but I can tell you a few things:

The Vikings are blending modern and traditional. I have zero idea what the Browns are doing. When you see the Dolphins uniform and logo, you may be shocked for all the wrong reasons. The Eagles are going full Oregon. The Cowboys though, this is the one I feel people are either going to love or hate. I will tell you right now, the main colors will be Royal Blue and Chrome. I'm not just talking about chrome helmets either (yes, chrome helmets will be featured) but Nike and HGI are also trying to figure out a way to incorporate chrome into fabric. The "surprise" team is going to blow you away. I could show you a picture of one of the proposed domes and you would still have no idea what team it was for, That's really all I can say at this point.

I will answer questions if I can answer them, so feel free to fire away but if you don't get an answer then I can't tell you, so please don't pester me.

Eagles isn't all that shocking, but I'd be surprised if they move from those colors. They're (for whatever...read:ownership...reasons) very tied to that drab green. As for the Packers, I still can't see them making a dramatic change. I can see something that, relative to what we're used to, is dramatic, but I doubt history is thrown away. Same for the Cowboys. It may be a departure, but it'd be in line with what we think of when we think of that brand I think.

Can you say that the surprise team isn't the Bears please?...lol

I have been lurking these boards for a long, long time. I don't know how Mile High Magic knows what he knows but he is correct in everything except (as far as I'm aware) the Tampa Bay Pro Combats. That's not to say that they won't happen, but everything else I can confirm.

A lot of you people on these boards are not going to be happy with the changes coming to most of these teams. I'm new to forums with this interface, so I don't yet know how to quote posts, but I saw many of you talking about, for example, the Cowboys switching shades of blue, or the Packers re-aligning stripes on a uniform. You are thinking way too small.

The changes coming to these teams is going to be dramatic. I can't get into a whole lot, but I can tell you a few things:

The Vikings are blending modern and traditional. I have zero idea what the Browns are doing. When you see the Dolphins uniform and logo, you may be shocked for all the wrong reasons. The Eagles are going full Oregon. The Cowboys though, this is the one I feel people are either going to love or hate. I will tell you right now, the main colors will be Royal Blue and Chrome. I'm not just talking about chrome helmets either (yes, chrome helmets will be featured) but Nike and HGI are also trying to figure out a way to incorporate chrome into fabric. The "surprise" team is going to blow you away. I could show you a picture of one of the proposed domes and you would still have no idea what team it was for, That's really all I can say at this point.

I will answer questions if I can answer them, so feel free to fire away but if you don't get an answer then I can't tell you, so please don't pester me.

Eagles isn't all that shocking, but I'd be surprised if they move from those colors. They're (for whatever...read:ownership...reasons) very tied to that drab green. As for the Packers, I still can't see them making a dramatic change. I can see something that, relative to what we're used to, is dramatic, but I doubt history is thrown away. Same for the Cowboys. It may be a departure, but it'd be in line with what we think of when we think of that brand I think.

God, I hope you're misinformed about Dallas. I get that people dislike the team and the mismatched blues, but at the same time I would be repulsed if the Cowboys had chrome helmets ala Oregon or Rutgers.

newsig.jpg

God, I hope you're misinformed about Dallas. I get that people dislike the team and the mismatched blues, but at the same time I would be repulsed if the Cowboys had chrome helmets ala Oregon or Rutgers.

If it's a brushed chrome type of helmet, I think that could look really, really sharp. But, they'd have to be consistent in its application (which is where the chrome bit in uniforms comes in).

I could deal with a Bears rebrand as long as they kept it insanely simple and left the numbers font alone. Matte helmet would be cool.

If they go grey-facemask/goofy nike crap/seahawks, fires will be set.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Fingers crossed that the Packers finally move their sleeve stripes to the compression undershirts...

I don't think that's gonna happen because there are too many players who don't wear compression undershirts to make them mandatory.

I'm hoping for an elimination of the Forrest Gregg collar stripes and a return to 5 stripes on the sleeve.

In a perfect world, we would see a return to green-gold-green-gold-green on the white jerseys.

1031_large.jpg

This would also make it easier to add an alternate set of pants on the road:

8501944959_3ce047ac07_z.jpg

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

A local store has all navy blue Cowboys merchandise 50% off. I'm hoping it means they're standardizing all their blues to royal blue, but it probably means nothing.

Hey y'all, just found this post stashed earlier in the thread. Maybe this local store got the heads-up about the new change next year? I really hope they unify the silver on the helmet and pants, or even use white helmets/pants like the Thanksgiving throwbacks.

I was also able to get a little clarification on the 5-year rule. A handful of these uniform rules actually have been rescinded and relaxed since Nike took over Reebok's contract. It was one of Nike's demands in their new contract; and they convinced the owners that it was a cash-grab (not surprisingly the owners agreed to more profit). He offered the Jags as an example; who got their Reebok makeover in 2009. When they unveil their new uni's around April, it would be barely pushing 4 years, and not the necessary 5 years that Reebok demanded.

Nike's current deal with the NFL is only for 5 years (yet they'll probably extend the contract after, depending on how the next 4 years go). However, Nike is basically starting off with a clean slate, and they are offering ONE redesign per team, until Nike's current contract runs out. That means that if they wanted to, teams that just received makeovers from Reebok (Buffalo, Detroit, etc.) can still submit for a Nike redesign. And of course, the rules can always change if Nike extends their deal with the NFL, but for now teams can only get new uni's once for the next 4-5 years.

Another rule that was relaxed/rescinded was the "Allow the League 2 years heads up about wanting new uniforms/logos" rule. The rule has now been rescinded to just one year's notice. Reasoning behind this slight change is that there are some very traditional teams who want to re-brand and get a whole new makeover, but don't want the criticism from media and the fan-base for two years. Additionally, I wasn't able to get as much as a single hint about this "mystery" team. Job security of the source was the main reason behind that. So I guess we'll have to wait and see for things to come!

Wait, wait. Exactly where is this information coming from?

My apologies if I didn't explain well enough but it's from an inside source that works at Nike. They're currently working under an internship there and obviously would like to stay for the long run if possible. Like past "Nike sources" have been able to provide for us, they can give us info/details, but they're extremely limited in what they can/can't say. I understand that what I've told everyone so far is indeed "out there," but trust me I've relayed basically everything that I've heard so far.

I also hope I'm not coming off as that "I'm better than you because I know a thing or two more" personality, because I'm not that kinda person. My personality is better explained as the guy that can't hold in good secrets because I have to tell them to someone haha. Additionally, thanks to BradyIsMyHomeboy for supporting some of my claims and welcome to the boards! I'm very envious of you that you know this mystery team, and maybe a couple more hints won't hurt anybody...

noalps.png

R.I.P. Darrent Williams #27 (1982-2007)

We've heard that the " :censored: will hit the fan" for a while now. I can't justify your sources, but what your saying makes sense.

- Chip Kelly goes to Eagles, Eagles scrap plans for throwback because Kelly wants Nike Armor ®.

- Of course Jerry Jones, the man with the billion dollar playpen, would be the first to move to a chrome helmet/uniform features. That's pretty logical.

-The Dolphins, Miami's team, will go with something BOLD to try to compete with all the Heat gear flying off shelves.

Again. I have no inside sources and tend to take your word with a grain of salt. But it does make a lot of sense and I'm interested to see this play out.

EDIT: Thanks for finally stopping by and feel free to stick around.

Just to clarify, Chip had almost no say in the uniforms at Eugene. Agreed he was all-in for the sleek and modern revolution, but he didn't design them. He didn't even choose which color scheme to wear on gameday; he usually let his team captains decide, or the team put in a vote. That being said, don't be shocked if they (the Eagles) change back to the Kelly green and Silver/chrome scheme, but with the obvious Nike modernized twist. Something similar to Oregon's season openers last year is my two cents.

Marcus+Mariota+Arkansas+State+v+Oregon+uU6yRRbUv8cl.jpg

noalps.png

We've heard that the " :censored: will hit the fan" for a while now. I can't justify your sources, but what your saying makes sense.

- Chip Kelly goes to Eagles, Eagles scrap plans for throwback because Kelly wants Nike Armor ®.

- Of course Jerry Jones, the man with the billion dollar playpen, would be the first to move to a chrome helmet/uniform features. That's pretty logical.

-The Dolphins, Miami's team, will go with something BOLD to try to compete with all the Heat gear flying off shelves.

Again. I have no inside sources and tend to take your word with a grain of salt. But it does make a lot of sense and I'm interested to see this play out.

EDIT: Thanks for finally stopping by and feel free to stick around.

Just to clarify, Chip had almost no say in the uniforms at Eugene. Agreed he was all-in for the sleek and modern revolution, but he didn't design them. He didn't even choose which color scheme to wear on gameday; he usually let his team captains decide, or the team put in a vote. That being said, don't be shocked if they (the Eagles) change back to the Kelly green and Silver/chrome scheme, but with the obvious Nike modernized twist. Something similar to Oregon's season openers last year is my two cents.

Marcus+Mariota+Arkansas+State+v+Oregon+uU6yRRbUv8cl.jpg

That, if true, is something I could get behind. That fauback-ish Oregon uni was a beautiful, modern iteration of a more recognizable, traditional design.

Philly going to Kelly with a hydrographic wing in some kind of placement on the helmet and "wing elements" on the shoulders would be a nice touch (and frankly something I thought we'd see with Seattle as opposed to the...thing...we got).

This thread has taken an interesting turn what with the newcomers bearing inside news. Welcome, but if you've been around any kind of board before you'll realize this kind of thing sets off a few pings on the troll sonar. Nothing personal and no offense, it's just quite the coincidence that two different people with inside sources show up at the same time.

When are all these rebrands and shockers going to be unveiled? Wouldn't it be by the draft? No owner with a lick of business sense is going to want his #1 draft pick to be up there with Goodell holding up the current jersey if he's going for a total rebrand.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Fingers crossed that the Packers finally move their sleeve stripes to the compression undershirts...

I don't think that's gonna happen because there are too many players who don't wear compression undershirts to make them mandatory.

I'm hoping for an elimination of the Forrest Gregg collar stripes and a return to 5 stripes on the sleeve.

In a perfect world, we would see a return to green-gold-green-gold-green on the white jerseys.

1031_large.jpg

That would make me very happy.

And FWIW, I'm happy with only half the players wearing stripes if those that do are wearing proper Packer stripes.

This thread has taken an interesting turn what with the newcomers bearing inside news. Welcome, but if you've been around any kind of board before you'll realize this kind of thing sets off a few pings on the troll sonar. Nothing personal and no offense, it's just quite the coincidence that two different people with inside sources show up at the same time.

When are all these rebrands and shockers going to be unveiled? Wouldn't it be by the draft? No owner with a lick of business sense is going to want his #1 draft pick to be up there with Goodell holding up the current jersey if he's going for a total rebrand.

I expect the Dolphins, Jaguars, Vikings, and maybe the Bucs to unveil their new uni's either during or right before the draft. However that isn't always the case. In 2011, we all thought the Bills would show their new jersey during the draft, but when they called Marcell Dareus' name he held up the old Bills jersey

Marcell-Dareus-draft.jpg

nfl_a_dareus_bl_600.jpg

They even issued him a jersey with his assigned number when he landed in Buffalo. If I'm correct the Bills waited until June/July of that year to release their uniforms. Although the NFL lockout may have been a factor for that. As for the Eagles, Cowboys, Browns, etc., we're going to have to wait until this time next year before we see official leaks

noalps.png

Who is gordie_delini?

He's someone who posted on here that did some work for Nike, until posting in this board got him fired from Nike. He designed this year's Pro Bowl uniforms and a lot of college stuff. Your post sounded a lot like the info he provided.

Call me a skeptic, but I just don't really believe all these crazy rumors popping up out of nowhere from sources with no established credibility.

I agree. I'm not sure why there would be a huge swath of owners making dramatic changes, especially because merchandising revenue is divided 32 ways.

Also, if team owners were so impressed with Nike's portfolio that they were going to do a redesign, wouldn't it have happened last year? (see Seahawks, Seattle)

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

O ya, I get that. I'd be more than willing to have an admin come along and verify I am not Mile High Magic and vice versa. I'm pretty sure this can be done through IP addresses.

I'm not sure of the changes this year will be done by April or not. I would guess Minnesota is, because they have finalized a design, but Miami is still picking between three proposals and then there will be touch ups to that. I would be shocked if the Dolphins are ready to unveil by the Draft.

Call me a skeptic, but I just don't really believe all these crazy rumors popping up out of nowhere from sources with no established credibility.

I agree. I'm not sure why there would be a huge swath of owners making dramatic changes, especially because merchandising revenue is divided 32 ways.

Also, if team owners were so impressed with Nike's portfolio that they were going to do a redesign, wouldn't it have happened last year? (see Seahawks, Seattle)

Owners wanted to gauge the reaction from fans and athletes about the Seattle overhaul before they themselves decided to commit to anything. The feed back has been overwhelmingly positive, so owners are more comfortable about handing their brand to NIke.

O ya, I get that. I'd be more than willing to have an admin come along and verify I am not Mile High Magic and vice versa. I'm pretty sure this can be done through IP addresses.

I'm not sure of the changes this year will be done by April or not. I would guess Minnesota is, because they have finalized a design, but Miami is still picking between three proposals and then there will be touch ups to that. I would be shocked if the Dolphins are ready to unveil by the Draft.

Owners wanted to gauge the reaction from fans and athletes about the Seattle overhaul before they themselves decided to commit to anything. The feed back has been overwhelmingly positive, so owners are more comfortable about handing their brand to NIke.

1) Thanks for not getting all offended.

2) That actually makes sense to me.

Hmmm...

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I agree. I'm not interested in pointing fingers, or calling anyone out, but we have a small handful of OG insiders here, folks who's credibility has been well established in the past (most of them were posting a few tidbits earlier in this thread), and none of them have said anything like this. In fact, it’s usually the case that anyone who might really have this type of inside info wouldn't be nearly as open about it as the new guys are being.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I actually hope you guys are on the level. It would be fun to get some serious and juicy leaks. We'd all be able to enjoy it, at least until you two get your "buddy’s" fired. Either that, or Chris Creamer gets a cease and desist notice :P .

Until then, don't be offended if most of us remain fairly skeptical.

Archived