Rivalry Trophies

raysox

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the Big 8 days, this was the Rivalry Trophy that Nebraska-Oklahoma played for every year:

Big8.jpg

Out of the official 89 years that the Big 8 was in existence, the Huskers (41) and Sooners (33) combined for 74 titles or 83%.

Missouri was a (very) distant 3rd with shares of at least 12 titles.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Rivalry trophies don't seem to be very common in Canada but there is the mighty Banjo Bowl trophy, contested each year between the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Saskatchewan Roughriders:

The-Banjo-Bowl-Trophy-e1347294709678.jpg

Just so there is no doubt where my personal allegiances lie:

banjo.jpg

Probably one of the oldest rivalry trophies in the world. The Calcutta cup. Contested for by England and Scotland's rugby teams since 1873.

2451170086925.jpg

And perhaps one of the more bizarre. The rag doll awarded to the winner of the annual preseason game between Bath and Llanelli Rugby clubs. It is hung from the goal posts for the duration of the game and wears the colours of the team that currently holds it.

CDF_Llanelli_V_Bath59.jpg

There is also one last odd one. Im not sure it actually exists, it may just be notional, but the team that finishes bottom of the 6 Nations rugby tournament (England, Scotland, France, Italy, Ireland and Wales) is said to hold the 'Wooden Spoon'.

Platypus trophy presented to the winner of the Civil War (OSU vs. UO) was lost in the 60's and found in 2005 and is now given to the winning school's alumni association.

medium_platypus.jpg

Would love to see a modern update and get it on the field during the games so the players can celebrate with it.

As would I: the platypus is an inspired choice.

One of my favorite elements of college football is the rivalry trophy. Unfortunately, these days my team, Northwestern, only has the Land of Lincoln trophy and it's pretty awful. They definitely should have made it a hat that could be worn, like that Texas/Oklahoma hat. The LOL trophy's predecessor, the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk was good, not great. Before the tomahawk they used a cigar store indian. That's probably my favorite version of the rivalry's trophy.

Northwestern did play Notre Dame for a shillelagh from the 1930's to the 1970's. That shillelagh pre-dated the ones ND plays for against both Purdue and USC. It's been lost to history though.

8078895731_fbc932c955.jpg

• 3 years later...

My favorite is rather unknown these days, because it has not been given out in almost 18 years.  The winner of the Tennessee-Kentucky football game used to go home with the Ol' Beer Barrel, a wooden beer barrel painted with both schools colors and the scores from every year dating back to 1925, the first year of the barrel.  Sadly, two UK players died in an alcohol-related car crash a week before the '98 game, the two schools agreed to end the tradition, and the barrel has remained somewhere unknown at Tennessee ever since.

635515890907645480-beer-barrel.jpg

beerbarreltrophy_display_image.jpg

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

11 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

The $5 Bits of Broken Chair...between some people who grow corn and a bunch of chipmunks gerbils :P

B2-QScWIIAAeACB.jpg:large

It makes me beyond happy that this is official. It's exactly the kind of thing that I think a stuffy stuck-up administrator at one of the two schools would probably try to stop because it started out as a joke.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived