2012-13 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

If the Football thread can start seven months before the season actually starts, I don't see why the Basketball thread can't start one month before the season actually starts.

I predict Duke will finish the season unranked. There. I said it.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Louisville is going to be really good. Like top 2 in the country good. And I've heard it a lot of different times. Strangely, all from the same person...

As a Louisville fan myself, this is probably the best team they have under Pitino. Of course, Siva is a defensive monster; Dieng and Behannon can rebound and block like crazy; and Blackshear and Harrell can grab rebounds. They have the depth of Mangok Mathiang, Russ Smith, and Luke Hancock (Transfer from George Mason). One of the main issues of this team is scoring points, but they have the defense to carry the team. If there is a team that can challenge IU, it would be Louisville. Not to mention, Louisville will be playing in the Battle for Atlantis tournament that has teams including Duke, Mizzou, Stanford, and VCU and will face Kensucky in December.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I'm curious to see how the Big Ten stacks up top to bottom this year. Indiana will for sure be on the upswing, but what about teams like Sparty, that team up north, Purdue. I know I'm probably conceived as biased on this but I still see Ohio State as the top team in the league until proven otherwise.

I'm curious to see how the Big Ten stacks up top to bottom this year. Indiana will for sure be on the upswing, but what about teams like Sparty, that team up north, Purdue. I know I'm probably conceived as biased on this but I still see Ohio State as the top team in the league until proven otherwise.

The Big Ten will be really good as they always are. Unfortunately, it looks like Indiana is the best team going in, but they're not a lock to win the conference by any means. I'd expect Ohio State and Michigan to be up there as well.

As for the obligatory homer post, I haven't been this excited for Illinois basketball in a while. John Groce is really working hard on the recruiting path and I'm confidant will have Illinois back at the top of the league in no time. In his short time he's already grabbed two players from Chicago (from the best team in the country even) and just barely lost out to a 5-star recruit from Indiana that wasn't thinking about Illinois until Groce got hired. Who knows what to expect this year (probably tournament, nothing more) but the future is really bright and I think Groce was a great hire.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I guess I can simply take this opportunity to declare myself one of the few die hard Georgia Bulldogs basketball fans out there. Dawgs had their chance in the spotlight with TreyCube and Travis Leslie. Don't think Mark Fox has as much recruiting leverage as we thought he might be able to bring in. Program is better...but I'm expecting a lot of doinks this year.

/Indiana's overrated.

+1

Yet you say this after saying "If there is a team that can challenge IU, it would be Louisville."

So let me get this straight, there's only one team in your opinion that could be as good as them, but they're overrated? LOL

Indiana is overrated, but many pundits say that they're number 1 so that why I said it.

/Indiana's overrated.

+1

Yet you say this after saying "If there is a team that can challenge IU, it would be Louisville."

So let me get this straight, there's only one team in your opinion that could be as good as them, but they're overrated? LOL

Indiana is overrated, but many pundits say that they're number 1 so that why I said it.

In the first nine comments, do you realize that you were mocked twice? 'Ben5' gave us text in white typeface and 'crachcarson15' got you on your earlier comments.

While you are not going to give rebirth to "Professors of Press", what other nicknames have you thought of since we know you have them ready as a Louisville homer.

/Indiana's overrated.

+1

In the first nine comments, do you realize that you were mocked twice? 'Ben5' gave us text in white typeface and 'crachcarson15' got you on your earlier comments.

While you are not going to give rebirth to "Professors of Press", what other nicknames have you thought of since we know you have them ready as a Louisville homer.

I am a changed man 'dfwabel', but I still support Louisville. Now I got a question; Which team do you support?

Looking forward to another exciting year of college hoops! Without the NHL for the time being, it looks like I'll be following college hoops even closer this winter. That means catching up on some more mid-major goodness as well (thank you very much NBCSN and your CAA contract)

As for Syracuse.. well, this actually looks like a pretty good non-conference schedule, especially in Boeheim-standards. We technically aren't in a pre-season tournament (I'm not counting the Gotham Classic as one), but we do have ACTUAL ROAD GAMES! So heading to Arkansas should be a pretty good test. Plus PRETTY GOOD MID-MAJORS! Usually Boeheim ends up selecting teams that don't look that good in November but end up being strong come the end of February, but right off the bat Long Beach State should be a good test, Temple's got the A-10 brand of basketball that's always tough for the big boys, plus Princeton's track record against BCS conference teams make that game stick out a bit as well. Oh, and most un-Boeheim-like of all... going ALL THE WAY TO THE WEST COAST to play San Diego State ON A MOTHER F'N BOAT. So it should be a fun non-con lineup this year. The swan song in the Big East will be entertaining like always, but even more magnified with us leaving the conference after we're done at the Garden. All in all I think we're looking probably at a 3-seed this year. I don't think we'll be on the level of Louisville in the Big East, but we should be in the running for 2nd-4th I think.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

I won't be watching much basketball this year, mostly because Mississippi State is going to suck really bad this year. New coach, half the players left, barley had enough for a team.

At least they'll be better than DePaul.

I won't be watching much basketball this year, mostly because Mississippi State is going to suck really bad this year. New coach, half the players left, barley had enough for a team.

At least they'll be better than DePaul.

Mississippi State won't be too bad this year if they can win in conference play.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump for business + Hurricane Sandy

Why is Texas ranked? Honestly, haven't we had enough of Rick Barnes not living up to lofty expectations every season?

1. They're ranked 25 so it's not that big of deal.

2. The expectations would be lived up to if we didnt have half the team leaving every freakin' year.

3. It's preseason so it does mean that much.

Archived