Teams Sharing Names

oaklandhusker

As did the Redskins and Braves when they were both in Boston. The Pittsburgh Steelers were for a time known as the Pirates after the baseball club.

Those, along with the Giants, were deliberate. The two St. Louis Cardinals was a coincidence.

Then there were the two Browns, a football version in Cleveland and a baseball version in St. Louis, from 1946 through 53.

There was also a hockey team named the Pirates in Pittsburgh shortly before the NHL formation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Pirates_(NHL)

As did the Redskins and Braves when they were both in Boston. The Pittsburgh Steelers were for a time known as the Pirates after the baseball club.

Those, along with the Giants, were deliberate. The two St. Louis Cardinals was a coincidence.

Then there were the two Browns, a football version in Cleveland and a baseball version in St. Louis, from 1946 through 53.

Don't forget the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yanks in the NFL.

Sort of... from what I've gathered the New York Yanks were the result of a convoluted merger between the New York Bulldogs (who were the Boston Yanks) and the AAFC's New York Yankees.

Didn't they start out as the Boston Yanks?

I know, right...that'd be like naming a team the Chicago Packers!

Oh, wait...

5598.gif

PS: they were the original name for the franchise now called the Washington Wizards, apparently...

bYhYmxh.png

Didn't they start out as the Boston Yanks?

I know, right...that'd be like naming a team the Chicago Packers!

Oh, wait...

5598.gif

PS: they were the original name for the franchise now called the Washington Wizards, apparently...

I'll see your Chicago Packers and raise you...

4915747189_1048bb21b3.jpg

AHL: Norfolk and Milwaukee Admirals.

You beat me to it.

PEI and New York - Islanders

UCLA, Providence, and Boston - Bruins

UConn, Washington, and Northeastern - Huskies

Utah and Memphis - Grizzlies

New York, Texas, Kitchener, and Rangers FC - Rangers

Detroit and BC - Lions

LA and Sacramento - Kings

Hold on, PEI changed their name to the Islanders? So now they're the Prince Edward Island Islanders? Who was the genius who came up with that?

To be completely honest, I think teams in the same league should never have the same nickname. College is an acception since there are so many schools, but when you have two Admirals teams in the AHL, that is a problem. Whoever was there first gets to keep it, anyone after that has to change, IMHO.

UniJ

To be completely honest, I think teams in the same league should never have the same nickname. College is an acception since there are so many schools, but when you have two Admirals teams in the AHL, that is a problem. Whoever was there first gets to keep it, anyone after that has to change, IMHO.

UniJ

In any Israel sports leagues, there's always like half the teams named Maccabi

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

UniJ

Norfolk joined the AHL first in 2000, but Milwaukee has been using the name since 1971. The AHL couldn't ask them to give it up.

To be completely honest, I think teams in the same league should never have the same nickname. College is an acception since there are so many schools

I'd still say there's no excuse for multiple teams to share generic mascots like Bulldogs, Wildcats, Eagles, Tigers, Panthers, etc. Every university.... or at least geographical area its located in... has SOMETHING that a unique identity could be based upon. For example... with all the Irish-Catholic history in Boston, are we really supposed to believe something as milquetoast as "Eagles" is the best BC could do?

Archived