Sign in to follow this  
bradsbeard

Paintbucket MLB Tweaks

Now that the regular season is over and before all the changes for 2013 start popping up, I wanted to share some ideas to improve several of the uniforms in MLB that I feel could use some work. Not sure how many I'll post, but it won't be the whole league and some will just be an alternate or tweak to one of the jerseys in a set. I do everything in MS paint because (1) I'm not a graphic artist by any means, and (2) I get a certain sense of satisfaction from playing around with the limited format. I'm open to comments and criticism, but I'm not sure I'll be doing much in the way of updating as I don't have a lot of time, and as I mentioned, I've got limited capabilities. I think of them more as idea sketches than a finished product anyway. I made most of these over the span of the last year, and am just now getting around to sharing them.

I'll start off with the first two that I started with. The Rockies and Marlins.

Rockies: No more black. The Rockies should be to purple what the Dodgers and Royals are to blue - they should emphasize and own the color. I know a lot of people don't like the current black vest/black sleeve look, but that's actually a unique element that I appreciate about the current set, so I decided to turn it purple instead. I like the idea of silver pin stripes, although I'm not sure how well you could see them from the stands/on TV. It can't be any worse than the current purple pins that look black on TV. I toyed around with a lavender road set, and if anyone wants to see it I'll post it, but I didn't like it as much as the greys. I think it could work in the powder blue road vein though.

RockiesFinalFinal_zps81694209.jpg

Marlins: Just wanted a simple fix to this mess. Take away the black and the distracting yellow from the logo and all of a sudden the logo doesn't look so bad. With a streamlined orange and blue look, things can still be out there in a Miami sort of way without being too hard on the eyes. I also thought I could throw in a nod to the Expos with the white front panel hats.

MarlinsUniTweakFINAL_zps4e7202c3.jpg

Not gonna lie, both are downgrades, but even moreso on the Marlins. It now looks likes some rejected 70's design for the Expos. Why would the Marlins need to throw a nod to the Expos anyway? They have absolutely no connection to them whatsoever other than Jeff Loria, who got the hell out of Montreal as soon as he could. The wordmark is far inferior to the current one. Alternating colors with the letters, and no marlin on the 'M' at all, looks extremely amateurish. The Rockies look a little more legitimate, except the new home wordmark is not an improvement of the current one and doesn't fit at all with the roadmark or cap logo, which still features the R in the previous font. It's one thing to do a script at home/block on the road, but the original font is not near a block font and is more like an across the board font.

I can understand those criticisms.

With the Rockies, I wanted something more lively than their current "Rockies" home script. It's obviously just a mashup from one of the fonts in Paint. I still like it more than the current script, but I do see how it's a little out of place with the other lettering. Maybe I'll try a true block "Colorado" to go with it, as I'm not particularly fond of the "Colorado" font either. I do like the current cap logo though, and I don't think it's too unusual for cap/logo font to be different than the script fonts on the jersey (see Tigers, Twins, Dodgers, Reds).

With the Marlins, I was basing the color scheme off of the revised logo. I wanted to emphasize the simpler orange/white/blue alternating color scheme. There's no reason for Miami to throw a nod to the Expos, but I did have kind of a 70s Expos design in mind because of the Loria connection and some reactions to the new logo that it sort of looked like the old Montreal "M." Regarding not having the Marlin on the jersey front, I thought two flying marlins on the cap and sleeve were enough (it's one of the thing that bothers me about the current set - Marlins everywhere).

With the Rockies, I wanted something more lively than their current "Rockies" home script.

With the Marlins, I was basing the color scheme off of the revised logo. I wanted to emphasize the simpler orange/white/blue alternating color scheme.

With the Rockies, I LIKE the new script, but then go all the way with it. I think the script R is pretty strong for a cap logo myself, so trash the old CR lettering altogether and go cursive, the way the Dodgers and Royals do, if that's how you want the Rockies to be. Also, darken the gray if black is going to go - I always though their silver/gray wasn't strong enough, especially near their white.

I think the yellow may have been the wrong color to drop for the Marlins. I get a Rangers vibe as much as I get an Expos one from your current concept. I'd either go blue/yellow or red-orange/yellow, as both would be fairly unique MLB colors and capture the vibrancy of Miami. And while I love tri-color caps, I don't know if they work for an ultra-modern logo like Miami's. Good start, but I would cut each identity down to a home/road and build your alternates off that.

Also, the green background for the presentatiopn is making my eyes bleed, but that is no criticism on your concepts. :grin: Keep it going!

The Marlins is actually something I'd like to see, but the way you went about it doesn't work. The script needs to look like the hat logo and the hat needs to be a solid colour (Blue and Orange caps, to be worn with every jersey except Blue/Orange alts). Less Expos, more Marlins.

So I've finally found a moment of free time (insomnia) to think about some of these suggestions. A quick update to the Marlins home jerseys trying to match the fonts on the hat and jersey:

Marlinshomeupdate_zpsd5fdd3d8.jpg

If you could, I'd really like to see what the uniforms would look like in Miami Vice colors (black, teal, and pink).

I'd do it myself but I don't know how or what program to even use lol.

I think as long as there isn't too much pink, like only using pink for the outline, it could look really cool.

Think old school Vancouver Grizzlies, but with the Marlins modern logo, just different colors.

What do you think?

If you could, I'd really like to see what the uniforms would look like in Miami Vice colors (black, teal, and pink).

You mean something like this?

photo_4.JPG

Ya, exactly. But I'd like to see what the actual uniform would look like under those colors.

On the logo, I'd switch the middle of the M, the pink area, with the black on the ends of the M.

So I started over with my Marlins tweak, and decided to go for the "Miami Vice" look instead of what I had before (it might be hard to make out the pink drop shadow on the road greys but it's the best I can do with my paint skills). Went ahead and used "Marlins" for the home as well.

Primary home and road:

MarlinsVicePrimary_zps46188568.png

Alternates:

MarlinsViceAlternates_zps147ea001.png

I realize I've got the "Miami" alt paired with home white pants (and that city name is usually worn on the road). I like how the blue looks with the white better, but they could be mixed and matched anyway.

I love the Miami Vice colors for this concept. I wish the Marlins took the Miami nightlife to equation when rebranding their team. While I think that the minimal use of pink here is great, I think hot pink would complement the neon blue here more IMO.