Who is the Worst Champion?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I think of past champions I like to think about what made them remarkable, both in their season and when compared to teams of the past.

MLB

I'd say most of the teams that have won as the wildcard belong in the discussion. That is, unless they were only the wildcard because the team ahead of them in the division was the overall top seed. I still feel like if you can't win your division over 162 games then you shouldn't be allowed to win the World Series over 11. Also, even though they won the division, the 2006 Cardinals continue to be the biggest joke of a champion I've ever seen in baseball. That team was awful that year and had baseball's 11th best record. Toronto had more wins.

NFL

Last year's Giants, 2008 Steelers, 2005 Steelers, 2001 Patriots

NHL

2012 Kings, 2006 Hurricanes, 1995 Devils

NBA

I don't know. A deserving team seems to win pretty much every year. I guess the 04 Pistons just because there was no huge star, they just used the novel concept of playing team basketball with defense.

Still a good team; more like "David Stern's Worst Nightmare Team."

I'd say the NHL is most conducive to this discussion. First, so many teams make the playoffs. I know that's the case in the NBA, but in the NHL, sometimes teams just ride a hot goalie. I have never heard numbers, but I'd guess upsets in seeding are WAY more common in the NHL. I recall the Wild getting home ice in the conference finals as a six seed (and doing nothing with it thanks to JS Giguere...hot goalie).

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the 1987 Twins. They had some decent star power (Kirby Puckett, Frank Viola, Bert Blyleven, Gary Gaetti, Kent Hrbek), but they only won 85 regular season games (good enough for 4th in the AL East under the old two-division format) and benefited with home field due to alternating years not only in the World Series, but the ALCS against the superior Tigers. In fairness, had they not tanked the last five games after clinching, the could have won 90, which would have looked much better; and they took 2 of 3 in Detroit in the ALCS. I'd say the 83-win Cardinal team was probably a bit worse.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2002 Anahiem Angels maybe? Just going based on memory I can't remember anything too spectacular about that team. Garrett Anderson was their best player I think? Pretty sure they flopped the next season.

Actually, the 2002 Angels were a pretty good team. Along with Anderson, they had Troy Glaus and Tim Salmon. Adam Kennedy had a pretty good 2002 season, hell, David Eckstein drove in 63 runs in '02. The starting pitching staff was pretty good and Troy Percival anchored a very solid bullpen. Anyway, the 2002 Angels may not have been the '98 Yankees, but they're hardly candidates for this thread.

Of course those players were solid that season, any team that wins it all is going to have solid players that season. Someone has to be the worst though, and I just think for the 2002 Angels its easy to continue on with your point that they weren't the 98 Yankees. I think you could go on to say they weren't quite a few teams ('01 Diamondbacks, '04 Red Sox, '08 Phillies, etc) to the point where you could consider them a candidate for this thread.

(Removed for length)

I think the reason people may mus-remember how good that Angels team is in part because of the absolute shock that they beat the Yankees, who had been to the past four world series. As a Twins fan, I was pumped that someone else took care of them...then the Angels proceeded to beat us in 5. That was a good team.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2006-Carolina Hurricanes and 2010 Chicago Blackhawks.

54-22-8, #2 conference seed who trumped Rinne, Luongo, and the #1 seeded Sharks before winning the cup in a 4-2 series. Stacked roster.

Where does the "worst champion" part come in?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On topic: My vote has to go to the 1988 Dodgers. Orel Hershiser and a bunch of guys named Mickey Hatcher beat an A's team they had no business beating.

This could also be filed under colossal championship collapses. A 104-win A's team with McGwire, Canseco, and Eckersley can't beat a bunch of guys named Mickey Hatcher.

I'd have to go with the '81 Dodgers. If you get rid of that first half/second half strike season crap, they don't even win their division.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

NBA

I don't know. A deserving team seems to win pretty much every year. I guess the 04 Pistons just because there was no huge star, they just used the novel concept of playing team basketball with defense.

To be fair, Sheed, Ben Wallace, and Chauncey were all pretty noteworthy players.

I'd argue that the worst NBA champion was the '94-'95 Rockets. Sure, Hakeem was a beast, but they were third place in their division, had a pretty mediocre 47-35 record, and got to the Finals by squeaking out a one-point Game 7 win over the Suns and relying on an epic chokejob by David Robinson. People's memories of that team are clouded by the fact that the Rockets were the reigning champs that season, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The problem (or great thing, depending on your perspective) is that so many teams make playoffs, and there's so much parity that the "champion" is more like the "Super Bowl Champion", or the "World Series Champion", "Stanley Cup Tournament Champion", etc. as opposed to the true "league champion".

On the one hand it means that more teams have a chance to win it every year and a bad start doesn't really matter and there's legitimate intrigue in the playoffs, but on the other hand you have mediocre teams winning titles. I kinda liked it better when there were dominant teams (even though "my" teams were never one of them).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll go off the board here. 2007 Colts. They had easily the leagues worst rush defense in the season before fixing it in the playoffs. Their offense was less then spectacular, with Manning throwing 3 TDs and 7 INTs. How did he win Super Bowl MVP? It should've gone to Sanders IMO, for how he changed the team during the playoffs.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

NBA

To be fair, Sheed, Ben Wallace, and Chauncey were all pretty noteworthy players.

I'd argue that the worst NBA champion was the '94-'95 Rockets. Sure, Hakeem was a beast, but they were third place in their division, had a pretty mediocre 47-35 record, and got to the Finals by squeaking out a one-point Game 7 win over the Suns and relying on an epic chokejob by David Robinson. People's memories of that team are clouded by the fact that the Rockets were the reigning champs that season, IMO.

In my opinion neither of the Rockets championships are that valid. When Jordan first retired it was almost like "I'll take a couple of years off and give everyone else a chance". If they had been able to beat Jordan and the Bulls I would give them credit.

54-22-8, #2 conference seed who trumped Rinne, Luongo, and the #1 seeded Sharks before winning the cup in a 4-2 series. Stacked roster.

They weren't really a "worst champion", but an unexpected one for me. I thought the Flyers had it in the bag that year.

The '02 Angels were a very good team that had the distinct misfortune of upsetting the This Is Barry Bonds's World Series And We're Just Watching It Giants and finishing second to an amazing Oakland A's team whose sh-t didn't work in the playoffs. They shouldn't get such a bad rap.

I'm also one of the few defenders of the '06 Cardinals. 200+ wins in the previous two seasons. That core was for real; the results just sucked.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The '02 Angels were a very good team that had the distinct misfortune of upsetting the This Is Barry Bonds's World Series And We're Just Watching It Giants and finishing second to an amazing Oakland A's team whose sh-t didn't work in the playoffs. They shouldn't get such a bad rap.

I'm also one of the few defenders of the '06 Cardinals. 200+ wins in the previous two seasons. That core was for real; the results just sucked.

They may have deserved to win in either '04 or '05, when they posted the best record in baseball both those years.

Doesn't mean that an 83 win team winning '06 is any less ridiculous.

spacer.png

They weren't really a "worst champion", but an unexpected one for me. I thought the Flyers had it in the bag that year.

...but...but the title of the thread...is "Who is the Worst Champion?"...

I can't wait for the day when the 79-83 second wild card wins the whole thing. If the 2012 Cubs had the best record in baseball for a stretch of around a month, a team hovering around .500 could have a 12-5 run.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Most lockout shortened seasons have produced less-than-spectacular champions. The '95 Devils and '99 Spurs come to mind. But I think that the '93 Montreal Canadiens are one of the worst teams to win. Patrick Roy carried the team on their back and 10 out of their 16 playoff wins came in OT. The team looks even worse when you compare them to every other Habs Stanley Cup team.

Don't forget the illiterate coach!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived