high school steals THREE logos (asking for arguments as to why this is bad)

hockey week

My friend just posted this to facebook, his alma mater Chartiers-Houston High School has copied not one, but two logos, the Montreal Canadiens' and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' wordmark, and he's proud of it.

431927_339525746125201_1139189669_n.jpg

Oh, and it looks like they copied The Pirate Bay for their ship. Didn't notice that until just now. Just edited the title to match.

Can you guys post some arguments and reasoning of why this is not a good thing?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I really hope they knew it was the Pirate Bay logo, because that much intentional irony should be tossing back PBRs like crazy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wait, does he claim to "made" these logos or is he just proud that he made a cover featuring these logos?

He was just proud that his high school "is using one of the best logos in sports", and I'm telling him that it's a bad thing because they're stolen logos

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

It's bad for a myriad of reasons. Just off the top of my head:

1. It's IP theft, plain and simple. By doing this, the high school opens itself up for public scrutiny, not to mention legal action.

2. Using someone else's logo doesn't strengthen your brand. It dilutes it via association with another entity.

3. It makes the school appear lazy and unprofessional, and sets a terrible example for its students.

4. Logos are usually designed with a specific color palette in mind. Recoloring a logo disrupts its visual appeal, thus making the institution appear even more aloof.

5. There are an awful lot of designers who'd whip up an identity package for the school -- possibly at a discounted rate, since it may qualify as a non-profit organization.

Also, a cavéat or two regarding the use of the Bucs' wordmark:

1. The NFL allows the use of its logos by high school football teams.

2. The Bucs' wordmark is not proprietary. It's a widely available font; not a custom typeface.

Sigs are for sissies.

I have never understood why high schools feel the need to take someone else's logo. High school art and computer classes are full of aspiring graphic artists, all of whom would be thrilled to have their work accepted as the school's official logo. Schools have the people in their student bodies to create something new and unique. They have no need to appropriate someone else's work.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

As someone who works in High School athletics I will say why they do it.

Because its easy and because it looks better.

Things like helmet decals are getting tougher to find for copy cat logos, although its still possible if you use a vendor who can find it.

Most schools don't have the budget to get custom logos. Many schools have been using copy cat logos for decades making it unpopular to change.

Well, they're probably safe using The Pirate Bay's intellectual property. Pirate Bay has been "sharing" IP for so long that if they tried legal action against this high school, they'd probably get laughed out of court.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

As someone who works in High School athletics I will say why they do it.

Because its easy and because it looks better.

Things like helmet decals are getting tougher to find for copy cat logos, although its still possible if you use a vendor who can find it.

Most schools don't have the budget to get custom logos. Many schools have been using copy cat logos for decades making it unpopular to change.

Respectfully, I have seen the design work that students in high school graphics classes can produce, and some of it is amazing. A school could make it a competition among its students. The school would get an original logo that is just as good as one they copied, and even if they decided to reward the creator of the winning design monetarily, it would still be far cheaper than stealing.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The HS I work at steals the...

Clemson Tiger Paw (midfield)

LSU Tiger Eye (on the wall in gym)

Minnesota Gopher M

Nike Football logo (sold on T's with Gopher M replacing Swoosh)

Cincy Bengal (on volleyball unis)

Mizzou Tiger (on back of football jerseys where the Vikings place their logo above nameplate)

I guess they one-upped you.

KISSwall09.jpg

Try finding a good horse logo that's not from SMU or the Broncos (Denver and Boise)

You're not trying hard enough.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Try finding a good horse logo that's not from SMU or the Broncos (Denver and Boise)

You're not trying hard enough.

My high school was the mustangs and we had a combination of

Michigan M (our colors were blue and gold too)

Denver Broncos (football)

Pistons horse on basketball (basketball)

CFL Calgary Stampeders (Other sports)

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived