Brooklyn Islanders?

goforbroke

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the Islanders are bringing some fans with them; the Nets are starting from scratch, and got booed out of Nassua (ironically) tonight.

To me this is like the Giants/Jets playing in NY. They still represent NY, they just play somewhere else. In saying that, I think NYI's will in some way embrace Brooklyn, even if it just a shoulder patch logo

But the Giants have always been a team for the entire New York metropolitan area. The Islanders have been a team for Long Island, as the Devils have been for Jersey. That segmentation is what has always made it cool to have three teams in the same region. It's the closest we can get to how London has like eight soccer teams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

But the Giants have always been a team for the entire New York metropolitan area. The Islanders have been a team for Long Island, as the Devils have been for Jersey. That segmentation is what has always made it cool to have three teams in the same region. It's the closest we can get to how London has like eight soccer teams.

Did the Rangers ever really have all of NYC though? I was always under the impression that at least Queens leaned more towards the Islanders.

Either way, each team still has its own distinct area, even if the borders have shifted slightly.

Did the Rangers ever really have all of NYC though? I was always under the impression that at least Queens leaned more towards the Islanders.

I don't think so. I mean, the Rangers fanbase permeates Long Island and North Jersey as it is. I don't even think you start hitting serious Devils territory till south of Newark.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Personally I hope the current Home and Away jerseys do not change. After a long decade of that awful navy/neon orange scheme, the Islanders finally have an attractive look that honours it's rich heritage. If they must get creative, make a new third. The current one has got to be among the worst designed in league history. Who thought pairing wild, 90's looking stripes with lace ups & a script logo was good idea?

Simple solution I hope they consider.

Use the anatomically correct shape of "Physical" Long Island, and call it a day. Don't change from NYI to BK, and definatly don't embrace the Brooklyn B.

And for those saying the edge jerseys are crap, atleast know they are using a jersey similar to their 80's style.

For a third, I'd say use Royal and Orange only no white- Maybe a new NYI insignia in the middle, similar to the Cardinals STL.

Islanders28.png

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Personally I hope the current Home and Away jerseys do not change. After a long decade of that awful navy/neon orange scheme, the Islanders finally have an attractive look that honours it's rich heritage. If they must get creative, make a new third. The current one has got to be among the worst designed in league history. Who thought pairing wild, 90's looking stripes with lace ups & a script logo was good idea?

I couldn't have said it better myself. The calls for the Islanders to change what is otherwise a near-perfect home/road set are completely ridiculous and are borne solely out of a misguided desire to see every team update to some new-fangled modern garbage, which is exactly the kind of crap the Isles got rid of when they brought back this set.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this:

Islanders27.png

Nothing needs to be changed. Maybe they can change the logo to reflect the location difference, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with these jerseys.

You'll note, of course, that I used the 2010-11 image instead of the 2011-12 image. The reasoning should be obvious.

Let's review.

GOOD:

Islanders27.png

BAD:

Islanders25.png

NOT AS BAD:

Islanders19.png

WORSE:

Islanders18.png

OH GOD OH GOD BURN IT:

Islanders16.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I wouldn't say the islanders have the worst uniforms, colors, or logos in sports (Thunder, cough). Their colors just happen to look better on the Oilers, their logo just happens to be dull, and their team name now sits in the same misnomer-via-relocation category as the Lakers, Jazz, etc.

But the following image is indeed a crime against the human eye, and should be forever set afire if you come across it in your daily travels:

nhl%20new%20york%20islanders%202%20streitt%20black.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Queens/Brooklyn area(s) went from having no sports teams, and in a few years they will have 3 (NBA,NHL,MLS).

ummm....Queens has the Mets and Tennis since the 60s...

Like he said, no PRO teams. (zinger!)

haha sorry, I couldn't help myself

Also I posted a Islanders rebrand in the concepts.

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

I wouldn't say the islanders have the worst uniforms, colors, or logos in sports (Thunder, cough). Their colors just happen to look better on the Oilers, their logo just happens to be dull, and their team name now sits in the same misnomer-via-relocation category as the Lakers, Jazz, etc.

Brooklyn is actually on Long Island though... that's why there's a college in Brooklyn called Long Island University.

Archived