New York Islanders moving to Brooklyn

Waffles

Looks like they already made their minds up. Islanders will keep their name...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islanders/islanders_skate_to_barclays_in_brooklyn_s8QVci06EOnyL06hK4atnL

The Islanders, who won four consecutive Stanley Cups between 1980 and 1983, will keep their name at the insistence of NHL officials.

They don't say nothing about keeping the same logo/colors, but mentioning their 4 Stanley Cup wins just about guarantees that their look will be kept intact.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/Checks HFBoards to see all the crying by Suffolk fans that the Isles aren't moving to Brookhaven or Ronkonkoma

//Sees thread is actually not bat :censored: insane

///Also sees the Islanders board has become a hurricane tracking board

Edit: So yeah I actually go on some actual hurricane tracking board and

zz12zgfs500mbhghtpmsltr.gif

Well then... looks like Syracuse is getting nailed by a hurricane by that model

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Hopefully they change those dated-looking uniforms and that jumbled mess of a logo. It's too bad they ditched their first Edge uniforms, because that would have been the perfect combination of classic and modern for Brooklyn.

Mark it down, folks: I agree with Lights Out. Actually, I don't mind the jerseys so much, but I agree re: the Edge versions. The logo's never, ever been good.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Does that mean they'll still be the New York Islanders, or will they be the Brooklyn Islanders?

New York Islanders. Even if they wanted to change, the NHL reportedly insisted that they keep the old name.

But by "old name," they could just mean "Islanders."

It'd be dumb of Bettman to force the Islanders to give up the added marketing power of the Brooklyn name.... so actually, you're probably right, since it's Bettman, they'll still be the New York Islanders.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Hockey in a basketball arena? The place holds almost 2,000 less for hockey than the Coliseum.

14,500 at full capacity is better than 11,000 in a 16,250 capacity arena.

I guess it is a bit of a clever move. When they move to Brooklyn, they're most likely going to pack those 14 thousand seats just by being there, especially whenever they play the Rangers or even the Devils. But in the long run, when the novelty of a second team in NYC wears off, and I feel like it will rather quickly with a much better team a subway trip away, 11 thousand is still 11 thousand.

But to be 1000 seats less than the smallest arena in the NHL (Winnipeg)? In the largest metro area in the US? Seems pretty pathetic. Not to mention the sightlines for many of those 14,500 seats being terrible (to say nothing of the off center video boards).

That was my initial point. The Coliseum is a dump (I hear), I know, but it's a hockey arena. Instead they're gonna cram an ice rink into a smaller building primarily designed for a different sport. To have the smallest capacity in the biggest city makes no sense.

About the sightlines...

42783s_a.gif

I'm gonna assume the fuller end is gonna be the "home shoots twice" end. People in sections 4 and 28 are gonna have a hell of a time when the puck is in their end.

oBIgzrL.png

Does that mean they'll still be the New York Islanders, or will they be the Brooklyn Islanders?

New York Islanders. Even if they wanted to change, the NHL reportedly insisted that they keep the old name.

It'd be dumb of Bettman to force the Islanders to give up the added marketing power of the Brooklyn name.... so actually, you're probably right, since it's Bettman, they'll still be the New York Islanders.

You think the Brooklyn name has more marketing cache than the New York name?

You think the Brooklyn name has more marketing cache than the New York name?

Yes. Brooklyn is what the cool kids are sporting these days, I <3 NY is what the elder tourists are sporting.

Hopefully they change those dated-looking uniforms and that jumbled mess of a logo. It's too bad they ditched their first Edge uniforms, because that would have been the perfect combination of classic and modern for Brooklyn.

Surely you can't be serious. There's absolutely nothing wrong with their uniforms or logo. Do you just want every team to get rid of their classic uniforms?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

New York Islanders of Brooklyn

You're welcome. :boogie:

There is no need to change any thing at all. Brooklyn is on Long Island, there is a college called Long Island University in Brooklyn. And of course they play in New York the state.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't like this as anything more than a stopgap. Bad move for Long Island, but Nassau County only has themselves to blame.

25 year old stop gap?

The Nets in Newark was a stop gap, this isn't. I just made too much sense. NYC and the surrounding area do not need to waste money on another arena or stadium.

The public doesn't, no, but I would've been in favor of a privately-financed Coliseum replacement in western Suffolk. You know, near where Isles fans tend to live.

Barclays has a terrible hockey configuration that almost certainly can't be fixed, and the Isles will be a secondary tenant with surely limited concession revenue. I don't feel like this is a huge win. It's just good enough: they're not in Nassau anymore, and they're not moving to godforsaken Kansas City. It's not ideal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm surprised they came to an agreement to move into the Barclays Center. They clearly only had basketball in mind when they designed the arena and they knew that there was a good possibility the Islanders would want to move in there. They still chose not to make it a hockey arena knowing this. To come to an agreement with the Islanders before the first regular season Nets game is even played there is just surprising to me.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

14,500 seats, guys. Like I said in another thread, it's okay that Winnipeg only has 15,000 seats because all 15,000 are good. It's a thoroughly unconventional seating bowl that simply doesn't go up as high as others do. Looks like a lot of the 14,500 in Brooklyn are bad seats. And I have this funny little feeling that going to a game in Brooklyn, bad seats and all, is going to be considerably more expensive than a game in Uniondale!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't like this as anything more than a stopgap. Bad move for Long Island, but Nassau County only has themselves to blame.

I haven't followed this saga, but how is it Nassau's fault, considering you'd only be in favor of a privately funded arena? What could they have done?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Barclays has a terrible hockey configuration that almost certainly can't be fixed, and the Isles will be a secondary tenant with surely limited concession revenue. I don't feel like this is a huge win. It's just good enough: they're not in Nassau anymore, and they're not moving to godforsaken Kansas City. It's not ideal.

Ever seen Looper? That place is gonna be a :censored:ing metropolis in 30 years. :P

In other news, a Pittsburgh hockey writer just retweeted the Creamer twitter about this.... I wonder if he reads these boards, too.... Hey, Seth Rorabaugh! Good work!

oBIgzrL.png

Archived