Ottawa Highlanders

whateverman42

As much as I respect the troops, I'm really getting tired of all these teams trying to get people to buy into them because they "suport the troops". We all support the troops and though the name has meaning I think 90% of those who don't know it like that first man interviewed are going to view that name as being Scottish. Also think they could do far better in regards to logos if they did choose such a name.

untitled-6.jpg

Despite the fact that the OP is right and the "support the troops" thing is becoming a bit of a cliche among Canadian sports teams, I do like the sounds of "Ottawa Highlanders". It hearkens back to the old days of Canadian sports as compared to the cartoony team names and logos we've seen in recent years.

However, I do not like this proposed logo for the team:

mi-ott-highlanders300.jpg

Just doesn't seem right for a football team. I realize it's just a concept, but that would be a terrible identity for an otherwise solid-sounding team name. (The colours work for me, though.)

Isn't Ottawa in a valley?

The river is, but the city isn't. The term "Ottawa Valley" usually refers to the region northeast of the city, upriver, on both sides of the Ontario-Quebec border.

I don't care for the 'Highlanders' name. I think the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa are the primary infantry reserve unit in the city, but they aren't that prominent. The Guards on Parliament Hill and at Rideau Hall are the higher-profile units that people are more likely to associate with Ottawa. If they really wanted to honour the military, they'd be better off going with a more generic name that would honour the thousands of active military personnel serving in the city at the Department of National Defence, northeast of the city at CFB Petawawa, and southwest of the city at CFB Trenton.

The area just south of Ottawa, on the north shore of the St. Lawrence, was settled largely by Scots, including soldiers from actual Highland Regiments after the American Revolution (for the defence of Upper Canada). So, the name 'Highlanders' isn't inappropriate for the region, I suppose, but I don't think it's the best option to represent the city itself.

I like the "OH" with the O being the football, but the rest of it is pretty meh. I don't particularly like the name - I agree with the comment in the video that it sounds like a Scottish soccer team.

I know the Renegades name has a lot of stink associated with it after the previous team's mess, but it does have continuity going for it. You could easily change the "H" to an "R" in that logo and use it on the helmet. That way the "R" stays on the helmet to remind people of the Rough Riders, but still have that subtle difference indicating that it's a new team.

The "OH" logo is great, but can't be printed on a jersey properly. Shading is too subtle. As helmet logo/sticker it may work, but too many sports designers put way too much depth in their logos. It may look great on the web, but we do no yet have the technology to print/stitch that subtle shading on a jersey.

Highlanders is easily one of the better names I've heard for a new Ottawa team. The Rough Riders ship sailed the moment they closed shop. Renegades was idiotic, and the same goes for Rebels, Rebellion, and Revolution.

I like the Highlanders name, the logo and the choice of red, white and black colors. You have to realize why they chose Highlanders: I don't see it as a reason to support the troops, but because of their importance to the city's history. There is an important military presence around Ottawa, not just because Ottawa is the capital of Canada.

Some might say "there's no highlanders living in Ottawa...", well, there are no Lions and Tigers around Detroit, no Jaguars in Jacksonville, see any rangers in NY?? When I was younger and started getting interested in sports and realize there was a team known in the NHL as the Pittsburgh Penguins, I thought "Now that is a silly team name!". What about the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim??. Eventhough you may not like the teams' nickname, you do have a right to say how you feel or have your own opinion, but that's not your decision to make.. it's the owners of that team who does.

I actually had submitted Ottawa Highlanders when the minor league baseball team was looking for their name but I don't think it's right for the CFL team. The best option in my opinion is the Rough Riders but Saskatchewan has taken that off the table. I like the name Rivermen as it allows them to use the R logo on the helmet. Black, red, and white have to be used as the colours.

Archived