2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

As for the revenue issue the Cubs have plenty of resources at their disposal to be a winning team year in and year out as does virtually every other MLB team at this point.

False, the owners are broke.

Ask Big Daddy Ricketts for another loan. Or did he piss away ALL of his fortune on Karl Rove et. al.?

Take Down Barack Obama

Hit Up Rahm Emanuel For Money

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why are we discussing politics in a baseball thread

Because Tom Ricketts (AKA the father and actual money guy of the current Cubs ownership) has spent a not insubstantial some of his money on PACs indicating that he is morally opposed to any and all forms of government spending except when it specifically comes to Wrigley Field renovations; at which point all of it should be on the public dime.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Correct me if Im wrong didn't these renovations begin under the Tribune regime.

These are new ones.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nationals sign Dan Haren to a one-year deal worth $13MM.

I see him as a serviceable fourth or fifth starter.

I would hope he's better then a fourth starter because if that's all he is then the Nats way overpaid for him.

Something tells me Haren left some money or at least years on the table to come to Washington. I think he's looking to establish himself as one of the best pitchers in the game, a title he lost last year, be paid as such and hopefully win a World Series title in the process.

Also the Veterans Committee results are in. Jacob Ruppert, Hank O'Day and Deacon White are now in.

Ruppert I think should be in. White I'd say should probably be in as well even though I really don't think you can compare guys like White to even players like Ty Cobb just because of how much the game changed. Hank O'Day I disagree with, but I also disagree with putting umpires in the Hall.

If someone is excellent at their job, then I see no problem with them being in the Hall of Fame.

Umpires are a part of the game. It's just we generally notice those who are routinely bad at their job; the Angel Hernandez's and C.B. Bucknor's of the world.

Yeah but how do you measure what's a good umpire? Now you have systems in place where you can actually grade guys fairly accurately, but go back 50, 60, 70 years there is no system in place. Your basing how good or bad an umpire is entirely on opinion and second hand accounts.

If they wanted to treat them the same way as writers and broadcasters where its just general contributions to the game, I would be alright with that. If you coming at if from that perspective, then yes I think you can say that guys like Bill Klem and Cal Hubbard certainly deserve to be in. But to actually give them a plaque and list them in the same section as guys like Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Sandy Koufax and Willie Mays. That I have a problem with.

Nationals sign Dan Haren to a one-year deal worth $13MM.

I see him as a serviceable fourth or fifth starter.

I would hope he's better then a fourth starter because if that's all he is then the Nats way overpaid for him.

Something tells me Haren left some money or at least years on the table to come to Washington. I think he's looking to establish himself as one of the best pitchers in the game, a title he lost last year, be paid as such and hopefully win a World Series title in the process.

I think GM Rizzo is taking a gamble that Haren will perform better than anticipated. I do have some reservations, of course; hence why I said "serviceable fourth or fifth starter".

Now the bigger question to ask next year at this time is which signing was better: Edwin Jackson for one-year at $10MM for the 2012 season or Dan Haren for one-year at $13MM for the 2013 season?

Archived