2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping the trade gets knocked down.

I'm not, and I root for a division rival. If the Marlins want to make idiotic trades, let them. It's not Anthopoulus' fault that Loria and Samson are complete scumbags.

Vetoing this trade after allowing the A-Rod trade in '03 and allowing the Dodgers/Red Sox trade last season sends a bad precedent that if you're not a marquee franchise, you're not allowed to drastically improve your team and start spending money, nor are you allowed to blow it up and start rebuilding. Good luck convincing small-market teams to stop crying poor and stop taking from the revenue-sharing largesse after that one.

Additionally, all the hand-wringing from sportswriters about commissioners and conflicts of interest from when David Stern vetoed the CP3 trade would actually be more relevant here, because Selig doesn't own either team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Yeah how are you gonna deny the MVP to a guys who won the damn Triple Crown? That's like automatic. You basically beat out everybody in the prime categories. If he hadn't won the TC, then I probably would've casted my vote for Trout. But c'mon. This went from a tight race to a no-brainer on the last day.

Posey wins NL MVP!

Shocking.

What's shocking is Ryan Braun finished second. I fully expected the writers' bias about the whole PED thing to vote him last place. I'm sure there was still some bias in there, but not as much as I thought there would be.

I still think alot of writers have it in for him. He only got 3 first place votes. I don't think your going to see a Ted Williams type of thing where writers just leave him off the ballot completely, but I think if there's anyone out there with an argument against Braun he won't get it.

Posey I think was the pretty clear choice in the NL. You lead the league in hitting as a catcher and your pretty good defensively on top of it, your MVP automatically in my book. AL, thought it should have gone to Trout, but I'm not complaining with Cabrera. If they could have planned it out to split award like they did in '79 with Stargell and Hernandez, I would have done that. Trout had the best rookie season since Ted Williams, and you just could not get Miguel Cabrera out from June on. And he got alot better defensively as well, which was my big knock against him coming into the season. He's never going to win a gold glove, but he was able to turn himself from a major defensive liability into an average third baseman. No longer is he in that Manny Ramirez, Gary Sheffield category of being someone that only cares about hitting. He is a complete player that can play in the field and not worry about him botching routine plays.

Miguel Cabrera is on track for a Hall of Fame career right now and if he is able to stay healthy and keep up the work ethic he showed this year, he will get there easily.

Yeah how are you gonna deny the MVP to a guys who won the damn Triple Crown? That's like automatic. You basically beat out everybody in the prime categories. If he hadn't won the TC, then I probably would've casted my vote for Trout. But c'mon. This went from a tight race to a no-brainer on the last day.

Because RBI's is a stat that is entirely influenced by lineup spot. Mike Trout could've never led in that stat given that he is a lead-off hitter.

I said way back then that give the MVP to either, they both have worthy cases. But if I had to choose, I'm taking Mike Trout, and no questions asked. His whole-sale production this year was out-of-this-world type stuff.

spacer.png

When you look at the real numbers, there is no comparison in this debate. "In late and close games, Trout batted .277 with three homers and two doubles. He batted .260 with nine stolen bases, eight homers, 18 RBI and 28 runs in the seventh through ninth innings. In the seventh through ninth innings, Cabrera had an OPS of 1.060 with 16 homers and 41 RBI. In late and close games, Cabrera batted .337 with a 1.040 OPS. His overall average with runners in scoring position was .356. With two outs and runners in scoring position, Cabrera was a .420 hitter with a 1.211 OPS." (http://www.suntimes....-in-clutch.html) Look Trout had a really, really, really good season. But remember he did it from May to August and even at that in August and September he batted .284 and .289 which are really good, but Cabrera was just lighting the full year and especially lit it up in those clutch months. When you come through late like Cabrera consitantly did throughout the year and lead your team to a title, you are the MVP. Trout had a good year, but wasn't clutch in the clutch time of the game (late) or season. End of story. Next.

Trout didn't play for the very large majority of April...

And again, for those touting the division title the Tigers won, the Angels won more games than the Tigers (even with a purely :censored: April.)

At the end, it was the aura of the Triple Crown that won it for Cabrera. I think if Trout holds on to the batting title, he takes the MVP.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Trout didn't play for the very large majority of April...

And again, for those touting the division title the Tigers won, the Angels won more games than the Tigers (even with a purely :censored: April.)

At the end, it was the aura of the Triple Crown that won it for Cabrera. I think if Trout holds on to the batting title, he takes the MVP.

You may be right but the Triple Crown is special and has not been done in 45 years and that to me is why Miguel Cabrera deserved it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Right there shows that it should've gone to Trout. The Triple Crown is not some independent achievement, it is dependent on how other players in the league did. If Hamilton hit two more homeruns to win the homerun title, Cabrera becomes less MVP-worthy despite having the same stats? That's absurd. And that's what the "Triple Crown = MVP" argument is saying.

There are legitimate arguments to say that Cabrera should be the MVP over Trout. "Because he won the Triple Crown" is not one of them.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

The Triple Crown doesn't take defense or base-running into account. Since the MVP isn't the best hitter award (the Hank Aaron Award is), winning the Triple Crown shouldn't guarantee winning the MVP.

The Triple Crown doesn't take defense or base-running into account. Since the MVP isn't the best hitter award (the Hank Aaron Award is), winning the Triple Crown shouldn't guarantee winning the MVP.

RBI and batting average are flawed stats anyway. And if hitting a lot of homers makes you MVP caliber, Jose Bautista should have at least two MVP awards on his resume.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Melk Man to Toronto? 2 years/ 16 mil...

On paper the new Toronto line up looks nasty

Reyes SS

Bonifacio 2B

Bautista RF

Encarnacion 1B

Cabrera LF

Lawrie 3B

Rasmus CF

Lind DH

Arencebia C

Nasty!

Just imagine if the Jays get Greinke. LAWD!

Pitching looks damn good too. Still need that bullpen work though.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I dont think the Jays have the cash to land Greinke, who will probably top $125M (Although after this past week, what the hell do I know about the Jays budget). I would love to see them sign Brandon McCarthy if the big fish are out of play.

Absolutely incredible week to be a Jays fan. Can't wait for Spring Training. Also can't wait for the "Dreeeeammm Jooobbbb" chants at Farrell when he comes back to the Dome.

Archived