Every Team's Best Look Ever - NFL Edition

rmackman

Tennessee:

mcnair-oilers.jpg

(Note - technically did not break the rules since this is Tennessee :P )

Touché!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great uniform why did they ever switch from this while they were in Houston

I never quite cared for those aluminum looking helmets.

Dunno why they switched from that uniform (love that unique shade of blue) you like, all I remember is it was shortly after the NFL-AFL merger season of 1970. Only 4 of the 8 original AFL clubs had a great uniform set and identity with uniforms in 1960. That would be the Patriots, Chargers, Oilers, and Dallas Texans (KC). I include the Pats even tho' they had the revolutionary era hat as their logo their 1st season, that was a pretty cool look.

IMO, the Oilers best look was in their infancy seasons of '60-'63 .... and it sure showed too in 2009 for AFL-50 when they wore both the home and away version of those as throwbacks. They looked even more balanced in 1964 when they added the claret stripe to the helmet. I always felt they took a step downward in 1966 when they changed their look and went with the aluminum helmets. To me when looking back now it's like they tampered with near-perfection.

09000d5d811d1355_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81383ce0_gallery_600.jpg

I've already finished my compilation for MLB and NHL. We'll add the next league this weekend. Which would you guys like me to do first?

I'm making a few amendments to my original list. larrypep found a "loophole" in my original rules that, indeed, allows us to use the "Tennessee Oilers" as one of the options for the Titans. That is reflected here as I definitely prefer that look to anything the Titans have ever done.

McCarthy found a Saints uniform I had forgotten about. That is reflected here as well.

The rest are simply the same uniforms I had used before, however, in some cases I found better photographs representing those sets.

AFCEast-1.png

AFCNorth-1.png

AFCSouth-1.png

AFCWest-1.png

NFCEast-1.png

NFCNorth-1.png

NFCSouth-1.png

NFCWest-1.png

I've already finished my compilation for MLB and NHL. We'll add the next league this weekend. Which would you guys like me to do first?

Looks like Morgo wasn't gonna wait that long.

I fixed that problem. I don't appreciate hijackers. I'll just have his thread merged into mine once I start it this weekend. Patience people!

I loved the Ram's re-brand at the century mark. I still love the Royal/Yellow scheme as a throwback, but prefer the Navy/Gold look on a weekly basis.

This was before they got all cutesy with pant stripes and whatnot. Also, 99.5% of football uniforms rely on some combination of sleeve and pant stripes, so I like when teams can avoid them and still look classy / not flashy-modern.

xc25wtdrkj5rr5r.jpg

I loved the Ram's re-brand at the century mark. I still love the Royal/Yellow scheme as a throwback, but prefer the Navy/Gold look on a weekly basis.

This was before they got all cutesy with pant stripes and whatnot. Also, 99.5% of football uniforms rely on some combination of sleeve and pant stripes, so I like when teams can avoid them and still look classy / not flashy-modern.

So did I ... but the pants needed striping, not solid colored like New Orleans and Baltimore's black pants.

Before that change their previous look as good as it was just doesn't work for a club playing indoors in a stupid dome. When playing in the sunshine of Southern California they were great.

Seems to me that they've also darkened the navy since that change.

How do they not realize how badly the monochrome navy is, as are those white or navy pants ... They remind me of Jax, every time they make a change it's a downgrade.

So did I ... but the pants needed striping, not solid colored like New Orleans and Baltimore's black pants.

Before that change their previous look as good as it was just doesn't work for a club playing indoors in a stupid dome. When playing in the sunshine of Southern California they were great.

Seems to me that they've also darkened the navy since that change.

How do they not realize how badly the monochrome navy is, as are those white or navy pants ... They remind me of Jax, every time they make a change it's a downgrade.

Even when they make the change to these? ;)

135962264_extra_large_medium.jpgNFL11--OCT._30--P104__NO-ST.LOU.jpg

NFL11--OCT._30--P104__NO-ST.LOU.jpg

Yeap .... I stand by my words. It's a really good outdoor color-combo that looks great when played outdoors in the sunshine. The Chargers wore a very similar looking set during the Fouts and Air Coryell area. They glowed in the sun.

Your photo reminded me of just how bad the Rams have ruined their helmet logo. Look at the front of the ram logo on the top image and compare it to the early 70s one below. It's totally lost it's angular look which made them so great back in the day. It's pretty much a straight line now.

One could see how the ram horns curled just from viewing the front of the helmet and the authenticity of the angular look also in the front. They've totally ruined it over the years.

t_18801_07.jpg

Everyone seems to be so enamored by Kansas City's new uniforms this season with the striping on the sleeves and for the first time ever they've moved the numbers to the shoulders which makes a significant change to their long-time classic identity ...

Plus in the 70s their helmet logo was larger and so unique ...

They're one of the few teams that looks better with the numbers on the sleeves and nothing on the shoulders IMO.

5028706.jpg

This is a classic photo below because KC with Len Dawson at QB were the only football team to have their huddle with the QB facing his teammates who were all facing the line of scrimmage.

4782292.jpg

Your photo reminded me of just how bad the Rams have ruined their helmet logo. Look at the front of the ram logo on the top image and compare it to the early 70s one below. It's totally lost it's angular look which made them so great back in the day. It's pretty much a straight line now.

One could see how the ram horns curled just from viewing the front of the helmet and the authenticity of the angular look also in the front. They've totally ruined it over the years.

t_18801_07.jpg

Art - I agree with you but I don't see quite how they will ever recreate that look on modern helmets. Gabriel was wearing Riddell's classic flaired-side RK helmet and the horns are somewhat more visible due to the side curvature of the helmet shell than they would be even on the smooth-sided TK shell that was available back then (and still used on the Riddell VSR-4). Some of todays helmets have really odd sides (primarily Revo Speeds and those 360 models); others have really odd center portions (again these Riddells plus the Schutt ION 4D and their new Vengence helmet). Also - all modern helmets have a nose bumper these days; to get the really nice horn shape they would have to go back to having the nose bumper overlap the horns.

NFL11--OCT._30--P104__NO-ST.LOU.jpg

Yeap .... I stand by my words. It's a really good outdoor color-combo that looks great when played outdoors in the sunshine. The Chargers wore a very similar looking set during the Fouts and Air Coryell area. They glowed in the sun.

t_18801_07.jpg

I actually never noticed that. Hypothetically, if the Rams took their Super Bowl uniform, but angled the ram horns correctly, what would you think of them them?

Archived