2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://ballparkdigest.com/201211025788/minor-league-baseball/features/new-swb-moniker-to-be-unveiled-nov-14

The overhaul of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (Class AAA; International League) is proceeding apace, with a new moniker set to be unveiled Nov. 14 and renovations to PNC Field on schedule.

The team had settled on six finalists -- Blast, Black Diamond Bears, Fireflies, RailRiders, Porcupines, Trolley Frogs -- before leaving things to an open vote of fans. The final decision of those fans will unveiled at a Nov. 14 public event.

baltimoreravens.png

Seawolves2013.jpg?bcd529

That's a great looking identity.

Definite upgrade, but I would have preferred they stayed away from the Pirates-like typeface. Also, the way the primary is constructed, I thought it looked like a giant awkward pirate hat. It wasn't until I saw the secondary that I realized there was a smaller hat tucked in there. That giant-pirate-hat appearance is giving me a very Judge Reinhold "Fast Times" vibe and I can't shake it now.

As someone with an R-Phils avatar I am intrigued. I cannot imagine they would change their nickname after 46 years. That would be a disaster with the fanbase, in my opinion.

"... our entire front office is extremely anxious to unveil and share our new name with everyone on November 17th." - Scott Hunsicker, Reading Phillies General Manager

As someone with an R-Phils avatar I am intrigued. I cannot imagine they would change their nickname after 46 years. That would be a disaster with the fanbase, in my opinion.

"... our entire front office is extremely anxious to unveil and share our new name with everyone on November 17th." - Scott Hunsicker, Reading Phillies General Manager

I don't get why they would change their name. They already incorporate city-related elements into their identity, why do they need a name change?

Tf9TG.jpg

I don't get why they would change their name. They already incorporate city-related elements into their identity, why do they need a name change?

The same reason an increasing number of minor-league affiliates in a variety of sports have been changing their names and logos for several years: merchandising and the money to be made from it.

If a minor-league franchise has a name and logo that too closely apes those of its parent club, said farm-team runs the risk of losing out on merchandise sales because fans have already spent money on the big-league team's licensed products. This is particularly true for a minor-league affiliate like Reading, whose parent-club is located just a 70-mile drive away and sports a wordmark and uniforms very similar to the R-Phils.

In fact, in the case of Reading's rebranding, it may well be the parent-club that is driving the change. After all, the Philadelphia Phillies have been the majority owners of the Reading Phillies since purchasing a rumored 80% of the franchise from Managing Partner Craig Stein in December of 2008. With the Philadelphia and Reading Phillies sharing a nickname and remarkably similar uniforms and wordmarks, the argument can be made that the parent-club in Philly is currently losing out on the opportunity to increase merchandising revenue in the communities between Philadelphia and Reading. By offering licensed merchandise bearing the marks from two distinct identity packages, the parent Philadelphia Phillies increase the chance of "double-dipping" into the wallets of fans in the Reading-Philadelphia corridor.

Does Erie look like Bradenton to anyone else?

The SeaWolves and Buccaneers share a basic theme - piracy - and similar color palettes. The two teams also turned to the same graphic designer - Studio Simon - for their branding overhauls.

As a result, there's a similarity of overall aesthetic. That said, I don't think the teams' primary marks are derivative of one another. To my mind, there's enough of a variation between the two logos - completely different wordmark fonts, an animal mascot versus a human mascot, etc. - to easily differentiate between them.

Does Erie look like Bradenton to anyone else?

The SeaWolves and Buccaneers share a basic theme - piracy - and similar color palettes. The two teams also turned to the same graphic designer - Studio Simon - for their branding overhauls.

As a result, there's a similarity of overall aesthetic. That said, I don't think the teams' primary marks are derivative of one another. To my mind, there's enough of a variation between the two logos - completely different wordmark fonts, an animal mascot versus a human mascot, etc. - to easily differentiate between them.

I didn't realized Studio Simon did both of these! I saw the Erie set and Bradenton was the first thing to pop into my head. Similar basic logo set ups, color scheme. They're the Tigers afilliate, so I feel like a different color scheme would've been better

Thanks. I re-read the article and saw that. My response: "Ugh... damn it." :censored:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The Yuma, Arizona-based franchise in the independent America West Baseball League has announced that it is rebranding. Originally dubbed the Yuma Panthers, the team will now be known as the Yuma Desert Rats. The selection of team colors and the logo and uniform design process will now get underway.

Each change the Yuma team has made has been backwards. Scorpions (name, logo, colors and all) was perfect for Yuma. Panthers was all-right , but was generic for a team based in the Southwest (and both their logos were bland). Now Desert Rats? Yeah, that's minor-leagueish, and not in a good way.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived