2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Lisa Winston's Twitter (@lisawinston):

Lisa Winston@LisaWinston

One of my favorite cities back in the Eastern League with Mets move to Ottawa. Planning summer road trip NOW.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

It's not completely horrible. Miles ahead of the beveled crap they had before. But they really should have hired someone to design it with experience in minor league baseball logo design rather than a local merchandiser.

i'm hoping the primary cap is just like the one the Bison is wearing. Just a nice big ol' slab B.

So do I. I really want them to see this retro thing out. As for the logo, I like it, but don't love it. The half baseball is kinda strange. Given what they had before, it's a BIG improvement.

FSU2.gif

Looks like W. Michigan has some new logos as well:

th_road-cap_300.jpgth_youth-orange-tiger-tail-tee_300.jpg

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the Tiger wave....

Yes, the West Michigan Whitecaps have unveiled new road caps, as well as an alternate logo to be used only on souvenir items. Brandiose is responsible for both designs.

I kind of like that. Ties the current wave logo in with their parent club. Quirky, but that's okay in the Midwest League.

The WM isn't bad, either. My only hesitation is the mention of Brandiose (and that wouldn't have been the case before this thread), so I assume all these new logos will be in addition to the ones they already have.

And I still think the Whitecaps need at least one white cap. If they don't anymore, that is.

I don't know WHAT Brandiose's problem is, but they really need to get their :censored: straight. Lexington was meh, the Popeye and asparagus were well-done but a bit much, and those Western Michigan ones are complete garbage.

Kinda sad to see one of the good agencies repeatedly fail lime this.

Sigs are for sissies.

Well, since I'm the only one who finds these marginally acceptable, I'll play devil's advocate and throw out a defense. What they have right now is either a small wave or giant baseball. And it's on the cap. home_cap_300.jpg

I'll take just about any combo of letters on a cap over that. And I think if the WM were combined, it'd be illegible or look like a fence or something.

Does making it a tiger improve it? Maybe not. ... Okay, I'm not even buying my defense. None of their identity is all that great and this probably just muddles it. Carry on.

I don't know WHAT Brandiose's problem is, but they really need to get their :censored: straight. Lexington was meh, the Popeye and asparagus were well-done but a bit much, and those Western Michigan ones are complete garbage.

Kinda sad to see one of the good agencies repeatedly fail lime this.

Don't blame the agency. Obviously you have never been in the design process. The look is because of the client, it's what they wanted and what they signed off on. The designers, design something and the client looks at it and then tells them, "I like this, but not this. How about we do this?" A lot of times the designer sits there and thinks, "Are you f'n crazy? That looks horrible!" It's at that time the designer realizes that he has bills to pay, shrugs and says, "Sure." As a designer, you can only fight the client to look good for so long. It's a losing battle, if the client wants to look bad, there is nothing you can do. You do the crappy stuff, so you can work with clients to get it and allow you to make them look good.

I've been in the design process, from both sides, and as such I am in general extremely reluctant to blame the design team for these types of messes.

On the other hand, when a pattern emerges, it starts to look as though not all the issues can be blamed on their clients.

Now I'm pretty low on the design pole, but my opinion has always been, obviously, "what the customer wants". That being said, though, it is up to the designer to help steer them along, so to speak. The clients may not typically have as much knowledge on design, thus why they are hiring somebody to do one for them. The designer should advise them on where to go and what to use. If the ideas being put forth are overly cluttered, such as the Ports or Reading, then the designer should let them know the potential problems they could face. If afterwards, they still want it that way, then the designer proceeds with what the client wants. A good designer should find the balance between what the customer wants and what works best. But in the end, the customer has the final say.

Of course.

But if several customers in a row make the same terrible choices, it's not unreasonable to start thinking the designers might not be advising them very well...

I disagree, I just think they are deal with a bunch of idiots. Think about it. If a design firm can design something that looks good for one client, then why can't they for all clients? Simple, the client wants something that they think is cool and is not. For example, let's look at the Stockton Ports logo, I guarentee you the design firm told them they don't really need a redesign and should stick with a solid logo only to get something close to, "But we'd like an alternate, maybe along the lines of a vegitable." To which the designer probably said, "You do understand that might not look good?" The client, "I know, but it was something I wanted to try." At that point the art director goes to the team and let's them know what the client wants and one of the designers sits there and says, "Are you f'n kiddin' me? That's just friggin' stupid!" To which the art director nods his head and says, "I know. Just make it look good. The client's always right."

Archived