2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

Ugh... That Emeralds rebrand is, well, brutal. Not Fightin' Phils level of brutal, but still pretty harsh. The only element I like is the Swingin' Sasquatch - it is a clever tie-in to the parent club. But what about if, or more likely, when the Ems sign an agreement with a new parent club? Also, those greens look very similar to the Timbers colors. Paging Donovan!

As for the rebrands we've seen so far this offseason, I really like the Hops the best. Everything else has been a bitter pill to swallow.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Either Sasquatch or a gnome. Not both.

I think the gnome was just an idea, according to this.

A number of different options were considered including themes that involved forests, trees and various woodland creatures. "Ultimately, we felt that sasquatch was the best fit to represent the mystique of the Northwest woodlands," said Benavides.

Anyways, as someone who LOVED the old Emeralds identity, and had a feeling something like this was happening, I'm kind of bummed and this is definitely a downgrade. But it could have been a lot worse.

You gotta have fun in the minors, it's the only way to sell caps and keep interest....My local minor league team (Dayton Dragons) is in need of a huge redesign but has yet to.

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

I'm a huge proponent of fun in the minors (and heck, in the majors as well). I love mascot logos more than anything else. I'm sure everybody's tired of hearing me talk about bringing back the Beer Barrel Man.

But this is just brutal. The colors are dreary, the wordmarks don't seem to belong to the same set and even the three Sasquatches don't quite fit together (pupils or no, and the tree keeps changing size).

Out of all these new Brandiose rebrands, I like all of them. I'll be that guy.

The Reading Fightin Phils is great, but I agree with the Baseballtown thing being completely unnecessary. If they really NEEDED it, then make it an alternate to be worn occasionally, but the Ostrich logo is great.

The Stockton Ports look great, the only logo I don't care for is the Rope S with the crossing bat and asparagus. Other than that I think it's fine.

Emeralds is the only one I'm iffy on. The color scheme seems a bit gaudy, but I wanna see the uniforms before I make any real decision there.

Railriders is also ok, nothing spectacular but that red "SWB" hat is a thing of beauty.

and I really like the West Michigan cap logo. The tiger wave is way out there so I'm glad it's only being used as merchandise, but still very well done.

Kudos Brandiose

But this is just brutal. The colors are dreary, the wordmarks don't seem to belong to the same set and even the three Sasquatches don't quite fit together (pupils or no, and the tree keeps changing size).

I think the colors are off on their own web site, since it says they're going to be the first team using neon green. I saw this, which I think might be more accurate.... and might actually be worse.

Primary-Logo.jpg

If your gonna go RGB optimized it would be this:

EugeneEmeralds.png

The light green is the only neon, not both greens.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Shoulda posted with their true colors, these bland CMYK colorings are killing it.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Ugh... That Emeralds rebrand is, well, brutal. Not Fightin' Phils level of brutal, but still pretty harsh. The only element I like is the Swingin' Sasquatch - it is a clever tie-in to the parent club. But what about if, or more likely, when the Ems sign an agreement with a new parent club? Also, those greens look very similar to the Timbers colors. Paging Donovan!

This:

EugeneEmeralds_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Vs.:

PortlandTimbers_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Anyways, as someone who LOVED the old Emeralds identity, and had a feeling something like this was happening, I'm kind of bummed and this is definitely a downgrade. But it could have been a lot worse.

This is more or less where I stand on the new set. It's definitely a downgrade, but it's not terrible on its own. It's just a damn shame they went from one of the nicest logos in MiLB to something that's nice, but nothing groundbreaking.

See, I love Brandiose's work and all, but they're turning up alot of "run-of-the-mill" "follow-the-formula" designs here. Alot of their stuff last year was gorgeous, but this just seems like a side project for a quick buck.

Absolutely hate the wordmark treatment here, too. Both E's in both marks are terribly constructed.

Meh.

As for the rebrands we've seen so far this offseason, I really like the Hops the best. Everything else has been a bitter pill to swallow.

I see what you did there. Heh.

EMS-Logo.jpg

Er... uh... um...

Are we basically looking up at the sasquatch's crotch?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I actually really like the new Emeralds branding. Interesting colour scheme, and the Sasquatch identity works pretty well in the Northwest The last set of logos from 2010 were good but bland, so I'm glad they went with something a little more unique. Obviously these kind of cartoon-like identities don't work for every team though.

I've been in Eugene for ten years and the first mention on bigfoot I've heard was the name of the beverage distributor that started up a couple months ago. I knew more about sasquatch in northern california than in eugene. The only thing I like about this is a return to a black and green color scheme. I started a project a couple years back with a set inspired by 1940s produce crates. As the Emerald valley, why not play up the farming community? That would sell here. This is a flailing attempt to be hip and fun. I havent even started on how poorly the bigfoot is rendered. Shouldn't his arms be longer? Theres something to simplicity, but looking closely, the lines don't match up. Its all over the place. This season appears to be about money. How many jobs can we take on? Let's just crank them out and cash some checks.

I spoke with the Ems owners son a couple years back about rebranding and was told that MiLB has a short list of league approved designers. Can anyone confirm this? If its true, its a shame since local designers understand their region and its history way more than this mess.

Archived