2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

It's pronounced almost like "Barry", not "Bear"

I think a connection to the mining history of the Wyoming Valley is an absolute.

Coal Miners, Coal Crackers, Black Rox/Sox, Coal Barons, Colliers, Diggers, etc...

Everyone I know from the S/WB area (and it's more than just a few) pronounces it "Bear".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And together, they form the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Metropolitan Statistical Area. ;)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Because the two cities are closely connected, of course. The park is right between the two, I think.

Yup, in Moosic.

I nominated SWB Highlanders. Makes sense in Yankee history and also for the cities being on the Appalachian mountains.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

It's pronounced almost like "Barry", not "Bear"

I think a connection to the mining history of the Wyoming Valley is an absolute.

Coal Miners, Coal Crackers, Black Rox/Sox, Coal Barons, Colliers, Diggers, etc...

Everyone I know from the S/WB area (and it's more than just a few) pronounces it "Bear".

I've said it both ways and have been told both are wrong lol.

Maybe the "bear" is like when people from Missouri say "Missourah", it's a lazy regionalism that comes from saying it too many times

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think the more important thing than changing the 'Yankees' part is changing the 'Scranton/Wilkes-Barre' thing. The team somehow found a way to make their locale name sound more stupid than the Mighty Ducks or Angels did.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I submitted Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Black Diamonds. After all, anthracite coal is referred to as "black diamond" and the sport of baseball is played on a "diamond".

That name may be too close a reminder of the Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds. They were an Atlantic League team that was supposed to play in Easton, PA. However, their stadium was never completed, eventually forcing them to become a full time road team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Road_Warriors

I nominated SWB Highlanders. Makes sense in Yankee history and also for the cities being on the Appalachian mountains.

Brilliant!

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That name may be too close a reminder of the Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds. They were an Atlantic League team that was supposed to play in Easton, PA. However, their stadium was never completed, eventually forcing them to become a full time road team.

I don't believe it would be an issue.

The Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds played just a single, stadium-based season in Pennsylvania. That season was over a decade ago (2000) and in a completely different market. The rest of the franchise's existence was spent based in Newburgh, NY (1998), or barnstorming around as a traveling team (1999, 2001, 2002). Moreover, the Atlantic League's Black Diamonds were an independent minor league team, as opposed to an affiliated club.

Frankly, there's little reason to believe that the troubles surrounding the Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds and their proposed ballpark in Northampton County even registered on the radar of baseball fans in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre market between 1998 and 2001. That being the case, why would said problems factor into the decision-making process regarding the rebrand of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees today?

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons

Reasons: OBVIOUS

This.

Unfortunately, the team has said that no prior names will be considered...they want to start NEW and FRESH.

Well... if the fan base says strongly that they want Red Barons as a name, then it'd be smart for them to go with the fan base and not create some completely stupid name. I mean if you ask for something and then tell people, I want your opinions, except for what you want, then what's the point? It's like a friend walking up to you and asking you for advice, and then saying, "I don't want that advice." I honestly believe that they are using the "Fresh Identity" because they don't want to admit that they royally F'ed up by changing from the Red Barons to the Yankess.

Archived