2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of things:

First, BBTV, you said everyone you know says Wilkes-"Bear"? I grew up here, still live here, and still pronounce it "Berry". I worked in television and radio here for many years, and that was always the "proper" broadcast pronunciation. (Out-of-town broadcasters were told to rhyme it with fruit: "raspberry, strawberry, Wilkes-Barre".)

And as for the stadium being between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, well, technically that is true. But just barely. The stadium is in the borough of Moosic, which is just a long fly ball from the Scranton city limits.

As to my choice of name, it was and still is "Bombers." It equates to the Yankees being called the Bronx Bombers. Although my other reason, a marketing one, no longer holds true. The old Red Barons logo was a biplane. I always pictured a marketing campaign during the off-season when the name change happened, with the old biplane sputters out of the frame, only to have a massive B-52 fly into view.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

A couple of things:

First, BBTV, you said everyone you know says Wilkes-"Bear"? I grew up here, still live here, and still pronounce it "Berry". I worked in television and radio here for many years, and that was always the "proper" broadcast pronunciation. (Out-of-town broadcasters were told to rhyme it with fruit: "raspberry, strawberry, Wilkes-Barre".)

And as for the stadium being between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, well, technically that is true. But just barely. The stadium is in the borough of Moosic, which is just a long fly ball from the Scranton city limits.

As to my choice of name, it was and still is "Bombers." It equates to the Yankees being called the Bronx Bombers. Although my other reason, a marketing one, no longer holds true. The old Red Barons logo was a biplane. I always pictured a marketing campaign during the off-season when the name change happened, with the old biplane sputters out of the frame, only to have a massive B-52 fly into view.

I know the B-52 is tempting, but I think the B-17 would look a lot cooler:

300px-B-17_on_bomb_run.jpg

Anubis.png

Because the two cities are closely connected, of course. The park is right between the two, I think.

Yup, in Moosic.

I nominated SWB Highlanders. Makes sense in Yankee history and also for the cities being on the Appalachian mountains.

Ding ding ding ding.

We have a winner.

Late to the party.

Why are they dropping the Yankees?

Are they still a Yankees affiliate?

Do the other Yankees teams intend to do this?

Generally I too prefer a unique identity, but with the Yankees I've always enjoyed the teams sharing the name across the board. The only exception being the Thunder. But of all I hope the Tampa Yankees keep their name.

Can't really think of anything more creative or anything to nominate, but dissapointed to see them dropping Yankees. Their logo is freaking awesome, the New York Yankees should start using it when they drop it.

Also from what I just read from a newspaper site, it seems the the nomination is desired to be from the area as part of the community and residents being involved. Not to mention someone in Phoenix can't do much with season tickets in Scranton.

2ly2w09.jpg

Late to the party.

I cant seem to locate the story right now, but I seem to recall reading something last offseason that the Yanks wanted to support their "New York Yankees" brand and that Yankee branded minor league teams would be changing in the near future.

If anything, the FSL Tampa Yankees would be the one that may stay constant (since the Yanks directly own them) or the best option would be to go with an original identity that correlates to the Yanks brand.

It's pronounced almost like "Barry", not "Bear"

I think a connection to the mining history of the Wyoming Valley is an absolute.

Coal Miners, Coal Crackers, Black Rox/Sox, Coal Barons, Colliers, Diggers, etc...

Everyone I know from the S/WB area (and it's more than just a few) pronounces it "Bear".

I live here. They don't.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

This might be a bit of stretch, but how about the Mollies (short for Molly Maguires)?

For those who don't know the mysterious history --

Wikipedia -- Molly Maguires

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well obviously I can't really argue with people who actually live there, but when I go visit friends in Tunckanuk (sp), they and their families call it Bear. I also work with people who have moved to the Phila area from Dallas, Luzerne, Scranton, and one who went to Wilkes, and they say Bear. Obviously not having lived there I can't say if they're just the odd balls and everyone else says Berry, but not one of the dozen of people I know calls it that.

Also there's this which says its acceptable:

http://www.wilkes-barre.pa.us/wbpro.php

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Baseball Club

Sporting SWB.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Late to the party.

I cant seem to locate the story right now, but I seem to recall reading something last offseason that the Yanks wanted to support their "New York Yankees" brand and that Yankee branded minor league teams would be changing in the near future.

If anything, the FSL Tampa Yankees would be the one that may stay constant (since the Yanks directly own them) or the best option would be to go with an original identity that correlates to the Yanks brand.

I think Tampa might stay the same, if only because this might look weird if the team is called something else...

7012873835_bef22d5018_c.jpg

6866760860_7976ff4aa1_c.jpg

7012868735_dd2c19dc8d_c.jpg

Anubis.png

Some silly ones...

Scranton Pioneers (old AF2 team)

Scranton Chargers/Volts (the electric city)

Scranton Sabres (Dunder-Mifflin was bought out by Sabre printers.)

Scranton Flyers (I know it's too close to Philly to be used, but there logo could be a paper airplane as homage to Dunder-Mifflin.)

Wilkes-Barre Scrantones (based on the band who wrote The Office theme song name)

Scranton Beet Farmers

Scranton PaperHawks or Paperhawkers

Or I wonder if they would consider Northeast Pennsylvania as the geographical name. You could shorten it to NEPA, which is easier to say than SWB.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

DaytonBlue just now gave me an ideal. With Scranton's nickname being the Electric City - because the first electric streetcars were there - how about SWB Trollies?

(And whatever the team is called, I hope they go back to the SWB logo on the cap. As much a Yankee fan as I am, that Y looks silly.)

Also, it seems that all of us in this conversation who live here say Wilkes-"Berry".

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived