2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

By the way, BringBackTheVet, I don't actually live in Wilkes-Barre but still in the metro area ... in Tunkhannock. (A word of caution: If you are not from around here, you can injure yourself trying to pronounce it the first time!grinning.gif) ... You really know someone here, BBTV?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, BringBackTheVet, I don't actually live in Wilkes-Barre but still in the metro area ... in Tunkhannock. (A word of caution: If you are not from around here, you can injure yourself trying to pronounce it the first time!grinning.gif) ... You really know someone here, BBTV?

My best friend moved there when he got a job at P & G and ended up marrying a girl from there... so yeah.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Tunk-han-ock?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Who owns the name "Red Barons"? It seems like that was pretty popular (and the SWB caps were pretty cool). Is there a good reason that it was done away with (i.e. do the Phillies actually own the name? Or when the affiliation change was made was there also an ownership change and the old RB owners kept the trademark to the RB nickname?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know many people now hear "Scranton" and automatically think of The Office, but the show is already several years past its prime. Any nickname referencing it would feel dated from the start. I know the Isotopes did it, but New Mexico also has a history of atomic research to give the name some lasting relevance beyond the obvious Simpsons reference. Plus, the name "Albuquerque Isotopes" just rolls off the tongue so well.

Red Barons has history, but "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons" is a really clunky-sounding names.

Highlanders sounds good. Fitting for the area, and a nice play on the parent club without just being a complete rip-off.

Who owns the name "Red Barons"? It seems like that was pretty popular (and the SWB caps were pretty cool). Is there a good reason that it was done away with (i.e. do the Phillies actually own the name? Or when the affiliation change was made was there also an ownership change and the old RB owners kept the trademark to the RB nickname?)

IIRC, the Yankees did not want to keep it because of the similarity to Red Sox. The team name Red Barons is actually the combination of two minor league teams: the Scranton Red Sox and the Wilkes-Barre Barons

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

IIRC, the Yankees did not want to keep it because of the similarity to Red Sox. The team name Red Barons is actually the combination of two minor league teams: the Scranton Red Sox and the Wilkes-Barre Barons

That would make sense. Guess they couldn't do something like Blue Barons or go back to Barons. Bombers? Or is that still off limits for a team that's sorta in the NY metro area?

I always felt that the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons moniker came off as woefully contrived. While the effort to adopt a name that spoke to the minor-league baseball heritage of both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre made perfect sense, combining half of the old Scranton Red Sox identity with the historic Wilkes-Barre Barons name was not the way to go about it.

Rather, upon arriving in the marketplace in 1989, the relocated Maine Guides should have been given an identity that reflected the fact that the vast majority of minor-league baseball teams to call Scranton or Wilkes-Barre home had sported names related to the region's coal-mining industry. While teams dubbed the Red Sox represented Scranton for 11 seasons, teams named the Scranton Miners took the field for 40 seasons, with a single season played under the Coal Heavers sobriquet. In Wilkes-Barre, 43 minor-league baseball teams bore the Barons name, which was derived from Coal Barons, an identity sported by 11 Wilkes-Barre squads.

Which is why I've suggested Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Black Diamonds. The name, derived from a nickname for anthracite coal, pays homage to the industry that fueled Northeast Pennsylvania's economy for much of the 19th and 20th century, in turn inspiring the names of the majority of minor-league baseball teams that represented Scranton and Wilkes-Barre during that time. Additionally, I like the fact that the name ties-in to the sport of baseball being played on a "diamond".

Which is why I've suggested Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Black Diamonds. The name, derived from a nickname for anthracite coal, pays homage to the industry that fueled Northeast Pennsylvania's economy for much of the 19th and 20th century, in turn inspiring the names of the majority of minor-league baseball teams that represented Scranton and Wilkes-Barre during that time. Additionally, I like the fact that the name ties-in to the sport of baseball being played on a "diamond".

... and once that affiliation's over, they should affiliate with Arizona and become the Black DiamondBacks...

I saw, I came, I left.

I had never even thought of the name Black Diamonds. Brian, that is the quintessential name for this team, thank you! I would fully support this for my local team.

(I just hope the fans return to support the team, after a year of wandering the desert.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

There's no escaping it with the location name, but "Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Black Diamonds" is a mouthful and a lineful. Syllabically, it's no longer than "Red Barons," yet something about it still feels cumbersome to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bombers is a nice evolution from Red Barons, too, which despite being born of a merger, used biplane imagery as if that were the idea all along.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always felt that the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons moniker came off as woefully contrived. While the effort to adopt a name that spoke to the minor-league baseball heritage of both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre made perfect sense, combining half of the old Scranton Red Sox identity with the historic Wilkes-Barre Barons name was not the way to go about it.

Rather, upon arriving in the marketplace in 1989, the relocated Maine Guides should have been given an identity that reflected the fact that the vast majority of minor-league baseball teams to call Scranton or Wilkes-Barre home had sported names related to the region's coal-mining industry. While teams dubbed the Red Sox represented Scranton for 11 seasons, teams named the Scranton Miners took the field for 40 seasons, with a single season played under the Coal Heavers sobriquet. In Wilkes-Barre, 43 minor-league baseball teams bore the Barons name, which was derived from Coal Barons, an identity sported by 11 Wilkes-Barre squads.

There was a team in the Atlantic League that used that name: the Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds.

LVblackdiamonds.gif

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

There was a team in the Atlantic League that used that name: the Lehigh Valley Black Diamonds.

LVblackdiamonds.gif

Still, that was an independent team playing in an entirely different market more than a decade ago. I'd be willing to bet that the Atlantic League's Black Diamonds didn't even register on the radar of baseball fans in Northeast Pennsylvania's Wyoming Valley back then, let alone now.

Archived