2013 Minor League & Independent Baseball changes

Burmy

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black Diamonds, in addition to being way too long when combined with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, comes across to me as a bit Negro League-y.

Bombers is, by a distance, the best suggestion I've seen.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Well, here is your chance to put your 2¢ in officially! grinning.gif

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Name the Team Contest

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Professional Baseball is giving you the opportunity that few fans ever get - the chance to help us name your baseball team! Submit your team name using the form below [on the link], and you just might secure your place in baseball history. If your team name is chosen, you'll receive two (2) season ticket plans in 2013, a team jersey and hat, and you'll also throw out the first pitch at one of our 2013 home games! The contest runs from June 21, 2012 at 9 A.M. Eastern Time (EST) and ends on July 5, 2012 at 11:59 P.M. EST. Open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry.

Go for it!

CK3ZP8E.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? The team was supposed to give a list of finalists to vote on, with voting ending July 30 but I'm seeing nothing on the team website.

Any updates? The team was supposed to give a list of finalists to vote on, with voting ending July 30 but I'm seeing nothing on the team website.

Texas.gif

I'm gonna go get the papers... get the papers...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I don't typically like when minor league affiliates are named after their parent club, provided they can come up with something original. But with all the stupid, corny, lame, gimmicky team names in the Minors nowadays, I don't mind it as much as I used to. And as a Yankee fan, I wouldn't mind if they just kept the Yankees name.

I'm only like 2 and a half hours from where they play, and it's unfortunate I never got to see the SWB Yankees play. Always meant to get out there, just never got around to it, probably because the Bronx is closer. I always wanted to go out there back when they were the Red Barons too because for some reason I have a strange fascination with artificial turf (as that was the norm when I was a kid just falling in love with baseball) and have never seen a game in person played on turf. Oh well...

Back to the topic at hand though, I like the Black Sox or Rox suggestion somebody made earlier. Although Black Rox sounds sort of weird. I'd be all for Black Sox, but I can see the majority of the Yankee fan base complaining about a 'Sox' name.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see how they can make a firefly fierce! Anyway, how can you not put in Highlanders? Someone earlier posted that they nominated that name.

I did. Maybe it's not family friendly?

I don't know but IMO that would've been the best choice. Maybe they're also trying to separate themselves from the Yankees.

mcbqza.jpg

So they'd be the SWB BDBs? That's around 4 too many words. None of them really have a good ring to them.

Trolley Frogs seems like something they could get a cute minor-league mascot out of, and at least get some notoriety for, and that seems to be the trend in MiLB these days. Porcupines would be really unique though - I kind of hope they go with it. I'd love to see what a Bosak, Simon, or Brandiose could do with that mascot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Even though I'd voted for Papermakers in the earlier round, I picked Fireflies this time around (as my first, second, AND third choices)...because I know they'll HAVE to play this on a regular basis:

bYhYmxh.png

I don't really like any of those names, but for the purpose of uniqueness and possibly cool logo, I'd go with Porcupines.

Black Diamond Bears and Trolley Frogs seem too much. Like BringBacktheVet said, with SWB already part of the name, having a 2 word or more name just seems like overkill.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived