MIAMI! - Every Team is About the City

rmackman

I think New York city is probably the most City-centric example of this... in most of the 4 major sports teams in NYC (including the Islanders and Nets but not the Devils) the visiua/branding focus is much more on the city than the nickname..

Knicks and Nets have city on home and aways

Yankees have NY on home and city on away

Mets have New York on roads plus their nickname really is about the City anyway

Giants and Jets both have the oppurtunity to have mascot/litteral imagery of nickname but instead choose to go with NY logos

Islanders logo has giant NY and small "Islanders"

So really the Rangers are the only team that focuses more on the name Rangers than the city name, having Rangers on both home and roads, but even they don't really play-up a western rangers theme its really just wordmarks outside of a badge shaped logo with wordmarks, and their (now-rarely seen) secondary logo is the Statue of Liberty.

WHICH brings me to a point i made a few times about the Nets logo and it having no Net.... its really a trend in NY area teams to not have a literal image in the logo. Almost every team really has a stylized wordmark of some kind as their logo. None use mascot or litteral imagery. The closest a team would have to a traditional non-wordmark logo is the Mets with the skyline and bridge

#NewYorkJacked

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I think New York city is probably the most City-centric example of this... in most of the 4 major sports teams in NYC (including the Islanders and Nets but not the Devils) the visiua/branding focus is much more on the city than the nickname..

Knicks and Nets have city on home and aways

Yankees have NY on home and city on away

Mets have New York on roads plus their nickname really is about the City anyway

Giants and Jets both have the oppurtunity to have mascot/litteral imagery of nickname but instead choose to go with NY logos

Islanders logo has giant NY and small "Islanders"

So really the Rangers are the only team that focuses more on the name Rangers than the city name, having Rangers on both home and roads, but even they don't really play-up a western rangers theme its really just wordmarks outside of a badge shaped logo with wordmarks, and their (now-rarely seen) secondary logo is the Statue of Liberty.

WHICH brings me to a point i made a few times about the Nets logo and it having no Net.... its really a trend in NY area teams to not have a literal image in the logo. Almost every team really has a stylized wordmark of some kind as their logo. None use mascot or litteral imagery. The closest a team would have to a traditional non-wordmark logo is the Mets with the skyline and bridge

#NewYorkJacked

Maybe we're heading towards an era where the city is the focus instead of the nickname in the way that Europe's soccer teams are? Maybe it has something to do with hip hop, and how all the rappers like to yell out their area codes and cities? I have no idea, but I'm a big fan of the nickname standing out over the city name.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived