NFL Uniforms Week 9

dennisbergan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Redskins' facemask really is black?

I don't get that.

No different than the Cardinals, Browns, Colts, and Bills having a grey one.

Actually, it’s quite a bit different. Those teams are wearing gray masks to emulate the look of helmets from 30 years ago. It’s a branding decision, to intentionally harken back to a by-gone time in the NFL… a time that maybe they believe the players were tougher, harder… and they would hope their brand reflects that. That’s why they’re doing it. I get that there are some posters who hate gray masks and love to say so endlessly, boring the hell out of those of us that don’t consider it a capital crime. But, there you go.

The Redskins’ black mask, though? I dunno. Another post said that, since the helmet represents a time when facemasks didn’t exist, they went with black so the mask would remain relatively unnoticeable. If that’s true, it’s a bit of a failure, IMO. To me it sticks out like a sore thumb on an otherwise nice throwback.

Maybe brown?

I don't get that.

Last I looked SF and the NYG,also wear gray masks

Good choice by the Redskins making the facemask black ... it totally complimented the helmet.

Agree with oldschoolvikings ... I too am tired of hearing all the griping about the gray masks ... I like 'em, especially on white helmets like AZ, BUF, and the AFL-50 throwbacks of NE and SD

I don't get that.

Last I looked SF and the NYG,also wear gray masks

Good choice by the Redskins making the facemask black ... it totally complimented the helmet.

Agree with oldschoolvikings ... I too am tired of hearing all the griping about the gray masks ... I like 'em, especially on white helmets like AZ, BUF, and the AFL-50 throwbacks of NE and SD

I wasn't gripping about the grey ones, but the Redskins' black facemask was serving the same purpose. Both colors are meant to be a non-distraction to the teams' helmets. I get the whole throwback theme with the grey (outside of the Cardinals because that logic doesn't mesh with their futuristic uniforms). As for the Redskins, a matching brown would've also worked, but the black did the job quite well.

What was going on with Phil Dawsons captain patch today? Does it have camo print behind it?

628x471.jpg

5096e7274f698.preview-620.jpg

Yes it's camo. It's "Salute to Service" in the NFL...

Eli appears to be rocking the camo patch too.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Funny- during the NFL Network highlights the commentator guy said "I like the way the black facemask looks on that helmet!" during the end of the Redskins/Panthers highlights. Funny that that's what he would notice. He probably reads this site...

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

with that Skins helmet there really is no right answer, you're trying to tie something into something else where that something never was. if i had to make the decision though, i would have gone with black. its neutral, and dosent overpower anything else. its just a modern "standard" face mask

usp-nfl_-carolina-panthers-at-washington-redskins-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Yeah, I definitely think black was the best option they had. The only better option would be to have a facemask with the same texture as the helmet, but I'm going to guess that wasn't possible or would have been too expensive to be worth doing. Going with a plain brown facemask would likely look more out of place being right next to the textured look of the helmet.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

with that Skins helmet there really is no right answer, you're trying to tie something into something else where that something never was. if i had to make the decision though, i would have gone with black. its neutral, and dosent overpower anything else. its just a modern "standard" face mask

usp-nfl_-carolina-panthers-at-washington-redskins-4_3_r560.jpg?f061b7ce9937c38b702e6f308816ac2a14e2a4ec

What about clear? No, really...wonder if they could make a modern version of this?

!BzOY!G!BWk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEw46WfvgwBMVHCP33FQ~~_3.JPG

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

What about clear? No, really...wonder if they could make a modern version of this?

!BzOY!G!BWk~$(KGrHqN,!jMEw46WfvgwBMVHCP33FQ~~_3.JPG

I'm pretty sure those clear ones were banned because they had a tendency to shatter (like they eventually banned the Riddell 2-bars for the same reason - I did see Steve Largent get leveled back in the early 80s and his blue-painted 2-bar wound up in 3-4 pieces).

Archived