Bullpen Carts

larrypep

I know I'll have a warm smile on my face when a player with massive brain damage or a horrifically destroyed joint leaves the field in an ATV with a giant novelty helmet on it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

all_carts_crop.jpg

I wonder whatever happened to all of those, and why were they all collected in one location? I am a collector of NFL helmet sets, andthat would be the ultimate set to have!

You could buy the NFL ones out of the Sears Christmas Book in the late 70s, and now those thing bring big money on ebay. I had the original Bengals but ripped the logo stickers off the sides prior to the 1981 season so that I could redo it with the tiger stripes. A few years ago I discovered the original logo stickers on a piece of waxed paper lying in an old shoebox, so I was able to restore it to its original condition.

You could buy the NFL ones out of the Sears Christmas Book in the late 70s

These were seriously featured in the Sears catalog? HA! How much would one of these set you back -- and were they street legal? :D

6uXNWAo.png

You could buy the NFL ones out of the Sears Christmas Book in the late 70s

These were seriously featured in the Sears catalog? HA! How much would one of these set you back -- and were they street legal? :D

Well, you could buy the little plastic toy ones. :P

SearsC1975_Page050%2B-%2BNFL%2BBuggies.jpg

I had the Cardinals version of that jacket and hat as a kid.

Got verbally abused at school every Monday morning after a Cards' loss.

What are these?

(I guess younger folks need an explanation.)

In the late '60s / early '70s, baseball teams used these buggys to transport pitchers from the bullpen to the game. They would drive along the warning track, and drop the pitcher off in front of the dugout, then return to the bullpen.

I'm not quite sure why they were invented. Surely, pitchers are capable of jogging 250 feet from the bullpen to the mound. Just some kind of promotion, I guess.

Not every team used these buggys. The Yankees used a pinstriped Datsun provided by the automaker which was one of the team's sponsors.

datsunyankee.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I believe the Indians used a bullpen car at least until the late 80s, and even gave the players access to them after games if their cars weren't immediately available.

i045613.jpg

LOL, That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Archived