MLB Uni Changes you'd like to see

wdm1219inpenna

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I guess I'll throw my two lil' cents in the mix*...

Red Sox: return to early 2000s set

Yankees: as someone previously mentioned, remove all white trim from road grays. (I also kinda wish they'd standardize their NY logo...but I know that's also asking for trouble.)

Rays: wish they didn't 86 their previous identity...one of if not the most distinctive in all of baseball. But as is...figure out if you're Rays of sunshine or Rays the sea creatures; pick one lane and stick to it. Also, less navy, more baby...and a little more glint yellow.

Indians: new brand around a stylized block "C" along the lines of GFB's concept, and the colors red snd brown. (Watch that set somebody off on a tirade up in here.)

Tigers: it'll never happen, but orange trim added to "D" monogram and numbers on home uniforms, along with removal of NOBs. This has a better chance of happening: removal of white trim on road uniforms. Also, road cap becomes full-time both hone and away. (While I appreciate the timelessness and cleanliness of their current homes, I've also long been bothered by the lack of their other team color.)

Royals: GET METALLIC GOLD ONTO THOSE UNIFORMS. No other Big 4 team uses royal blue and metallic gold...OWN IT. It makes too much sense.

Astros: there's a whole thread devoted to them, so I'll just say this: keep an eyeball on the Concepts forum in the coming weeks.

Angels: kill all traces of navy and silver. Replace with metallifc gold. No other MLB team pairs those colors together (anymore, since the Nationals dropped it); lije the Royals, the Angels could own it...it also makes too much sense.

Mariners: as others have said, teal brim caps as primary home/away; relegate solid navy cap to alt status to be worn only with navy alt jersey. (They could probably also stand to brighten that blue up a tadbit.)

Rangers: maintain only the chest script font; throw everything else away, to include the colors , and start all the way over.

Braves: kill the red alt. Kill the all-navy alt, along the all-navy cap. If you must have an alt, go back to the navy BPs from the '90s with the red scripts and numbers. Oh, and get back to the vertically arched NOBs while you're at it. (I kinda have another idea I'd like to see the Braves try, but I'd have to post it over in the Concepts forum...it's sure to be controversial. And I'll just leave it at that. :P)

Marlins: take their current orange and current blue color, shade the latter just a teeny bit more towards the old teal, mix in just a teeny bit of the black only as trim, kill the other colors and base a revamped identity around that.

Phillies: my heart of hearts kinda wants to see them darken their red to more of a claret color and trim it with powder blue...but what they have now is fine.

Nationals: wish they hadn't dropped the gold...but other than that, they aiight.

Brewers: find some kind of way to revive the Motre Bame imagery—even without the green. And bring back Barrel Man while you're at it.

Diamondbacks: it'd be easier to show than tell, so just look in here.

Rockies: again, easier to show than tell, so check the tail end of this thread.

Padres: another subject unto itself, so for now I'll just say that I'd like for them to return to a primarily brown-based identity—though not with yellow or orange.

*teams not listed I either see as fine as is or don't care enough about to render an opinion.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I liked this look for the Dodgers, except for the placket piping:

628x471.jpg

The blue buttons were a really cool detail that really made the jersey pop.

Those would be a lot better without the sleeve patch. Or a different patch.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ok, I'll bite.

Seattle: Teal billed cap for home uniform(s). Make navy alt like 1999, with "Seattle", white or silver piping, standard block numbers and none on front. All navy cap remains for road uniform(s)

A's: Wear road helmets again.

Giants: Revert primary roads to pre-2012. Can leave gray alt for Sunday road games. Don't care for Sunday cap, but not their biggest issue anymore.

Angels: Streamline sleeve patches.

Dodgers: Maybe ditch road piping, or not. They look great either way.

Padres: Brown and Gold. Simple as that. They can simply recolor the current uniforms if they want or base an update off of the original 1969 set.

Diamondbacks: Either revise the wordmarks or replace with A. I like the simple uniform design and colors, though.

Rockies: Either keep current identity and ditch black (so purple/silver) or blow it up, redesign, with purple and silver.

Royals: Adding gold trimming to current look isn't bad idea. But don't go overboard. Simply outline lettering and maybe cap logo. No gold alts, no gold lettering or numbers on any jersey.

Cardinals: Put "St. Louis" mark on roads, ditch alts, and restore navy cap to full-time road status.

Rangers: Go blue. Put "Rangers" back on homes. All lettering blue simply trimmed in red.

Astros: Switch home and road cap (with orange squatchee).

Twins: Restore pinstripes on road uniforms (and ditch navy/red road cap).

Brewers: Though it'll never happen, revert to second Motre Bame set, minus green.

Cubs: New road uniform.

White Sox: Diamond-Sock patch on all sleeves.

Tigers: Remove white trim from road uniforms. That is ALL.

Reds: Ditch road caps. Switch road piping to single red (like on homes).

Indians: Put block "Indians" (in red) on current primary homes and make BP cap into home. Make navy alt to match and revert Wahoo to sleeve patch only on all jerseys.

Pirates: Ditch alt cap. Remove all white outlines on alt jersey and put Pirates on it.

Blue Jays: Ditch navy outline around "Toronto". It's not really noticeable, but very unnecessary. But that's all.

Red Sox: Maybe add red outline to letters and old road red piping. Bring back original red alt with piping.

Yankees: Remove all white and sleeve cuffs.

Mets: They're fine (wow, can't believe I'm saying that). Though I, personally, am not a fan of the road alt. But make snow whites home and cream pinstripes the alternate.

Phillies: Not really against anything with there's. Not big on thick striping on roads, but it's not bad. Maybe darken red some.

Orioles: Not big on white panel caps. Ditch "O's" cap and maybe put "Baltimore" on black jerseys.

Nationals: Umm... change a lot. That's about all I can say.

Braves: Restore the ONLY cap they need to it's rightful place. Burn all navy cap and jersey. Ditch red jersey and A-Tomahawk cap. If they want an alt, navy with white/red/white piping and red lettering.

Rays: I actually love their identity. But put Tampa Bay on roads and maybe navy alt. I guess a columbia blue billed home cap would be fine and columbia trim around numbers. Put devil ray on all sleeves.

Marlins: Orange cap for all home day games, black for night. Put the marlin on the M on the "Marlins" wordmark and put on home. Black letters on roads, new number font, and make letters match better to the M in the wordmarks.

Baltimore: Revert back to the previous "Baltimore" script. Also, put "Baltimore" on the black alt.

Boston: Add a red outline to the road scripts, NoB, and numbers. I actually like navy as the primary road colour, but red needs to be more prominent.

Cleveland: Drop Wahoo and the cursive scripts.

Angels: Put "Anaheim" on the road and take "LA" out of the name. Also, add a navy-crowned cap.

Minnesota: Throw out the "M" cap logo and retrn the road pinstripes.

Yankees: Realistically - Get rid of the white outline on the roads. What I'd like - put the "NY" monogram as the chest logo on the road (like the 1912 throwbacks they wpre eralier this year).

Seattle: Designate the teal-brimmed cap as the full-time home

Tampa Bay: Go back to something close to the 2004-07 look.

Texas: Throw out the red alts and the red caps. Ditch the black, and use a block font with a single outline for the NoB.

Toronto: Either get rid of the navy outline on the road script, or make it consistent with the back numbers.

Atlanta: No coloured alts and no all-navy cap.

Cincinnati: Ditch the black.

Colorado: Blow it all up and embrace the purple.

Marlins: Blow it all up and embrace the teal.

Milwaukee: Put "Milwaukee" on the roads and return to royal-gold.

Philadelphia: Make maroon the primary colour and use this script.

Pittsburgh: Get rid of the unnecessary alt cap and the white outlines on the black alt.

San Diego: Another team that needs to blow it all up. Go back to either brown/orange or brown/yellow, but not both.

San Francisco: Get rid of the placket piping on the road.

St. Louis: Put "St. Louis" on the road and then get rid of the new alt.

Wahington: Throw out the Curly "W" and use that "Nationals" script from the prototype.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Twins- Go cream at home

DBacks- Return to original colors

Marlins- Get new script for all unis, drop marlin from hat

Indians- Drop Wahoo

Pirates- Drop red from logo or otherwise

Padres- Return to brown and yellow

Rockies- Overhaul everything, keep purple and silver

Brewers- Current M logo on hat needs to go

Mariners: as others have said, teal brim caps as primary home/away; relegate solid navy cap to alt status to be worn only with navy alt jersey. (They could probably also stand to brighten that blue up a tadbit.)

Huh? When did anyone else say this? Definitely wouldn't be good for the road grays. The Astros' road mess is already bad enough.

Compared to other teams, this is minor, but the Rangers have some crap to figure out. I actually don't mind the red cap/white jersey combo at home, nor am I bothered by "are they a blue team or a red team." What I do mind is the black trim paired with the insane drop shadowing everywhere. Watching my Mariners games against the Rangers is terribly painful when for the life of me I can't read the damn names on the backs of jerseys. Keep the stylized font if you must, but please for the love of god, make it solid blue with a single red outline. Simple as that.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I feel like the Cardinals new alt will become the road uniform after a few years of merchandise sales. People don't usually run out to buy road jerseys in baseball.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

People don't usually run out to buy road jerseys in baseball.

No? I always see a ton of them in the stands, especially when they're more than a paintbucket-fill version of the homes.

Maybe I don't see them as much as a Cardinals fan since the Cardinals road jerseys are exactly the same as the homes. Hence another reason that new alternate should become the road.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The Brewers need to pull some form of a Blue Jays/Astros starting yesterday. The fans are never going to embrace navy & gold and the Brewers' administration would do well to stop trying to force it down our throats.

Gothamite seems to embrace it, and he's a Brewers fan... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

He does? I know he likes the last iteration of the Germanic unis (and rightfully so) and he's made a concept using navy, but it was clearly a shoutout to the old AA Brewers who also used navy. I'm pretty sure he dislikes the current uniforms as much as I do though.

Perhaps I should've been more specific when I said "navy & gold." :D

You rang? ;)

illwauk pretty much has my number. I've never stopped loving the previous set. I hate, hate, hate the current uniforms. From the unbalanced script, which has to be rotated to fit on the primary logo(!), to two dropshadows on the jerseys, to the bizarre combination of not-enough-piping and overly-clunky-piping to Times New :censored: ing Roman, it's just awful.

I go a little back and forth on the colors. Navy and metallic gold are unbeatable in the bright sunshine, but under any other circumstance they retreat into a muddy, dull mess. Royal and athletic gold always look more lively to my eyes. This is the Brewer jacket I wear around New York:

mitchellandness1.jpg

Ah, if only it has the Beer Barrel Man on it instead....

But all things considered, the colors are the least of my concerns. I wouldn't mind terribly if Attanasio kept the colors and ditched everything else.

I suspect that the Brewers will continue to use both uniforms as long as they can continue to sell two sets of merchandise. I do agree that a Blue Jays-style rebrand would be huge for the Brewers, but I really don't want them to alter the logo. I don't know how they're going to improve upon this design:pMLB2-3537517dt.jpg

I think the most important aspect of a team's identity is its colors. You can't see the cap logo from the stands and can't make it out well on TV unless there is a close up of the players. The colors are easily identifiable with the team. People not wearing team merchandise will wear team-color shirts to games. I have a navy and orange striped tie that I wear to work sometimes when Illinois or the Bears play on a weekday. That's how it goes.

As much as I think the Brewers' current logo sucks, I would MUCH rather have them return to royal and yellow with a recolored version of the current crap than keep the current terrible colors and recolor the BiG. Like I said about the Astros, I am not in love with any part of their new identity. However, they did well by returning the team to its true colors, the ones they should have never abandoned.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived