HBCU Basketball Concepts

WizKid

The life of a HS senior and preping up for college (AP classes,Studio Art) has really taking up my designing time designated for here on the boards, especially my HBCU Lacrosse series. I wanted to do something different since there has never been any hoops concepts for HBCUs here. BTW, I recall Buc doing a dynomite football series a couple years ago and it kind of inspired me to do my own set of series.

The first school in my HBCU series is the Howard University Bison, located in Washington, D.C..

Howard is the only private HBCU in the District while UDC is the only public one. Many people may recognize the Bison for the sharp similarity to the Buffalo Bills logo but, in fact Howard made the logo first. Of course, Howard's colors are blue and red. Most of the athletic teams wear a navyish blue instead of what the primary athletics logo looks like. Also, they use minimal to no red in their uniforms.

I wanted to put an end to this double blue identity crisis by using the correct RGB value throughout. Also, I ended up including red as an accent color on the wordmark and number outlines. Sorry if the words look slanted but the uniform is done at a certain angle.

Howard's uniforms may look bland with only two colors but I believe that the template makes or breaks your look. Curse you Russelll Athletic!

So, anyways here's my work. CC is welcome and strongly recomended.

Road:

howardbasketballconceptroad.png

Home:

howardbasketballconcepthome.png

The Florida A&M Rattlers(Tallahassee, FL) are up next.

SPOILER: One of the alts look like BFBS but there is a story linked to the school wearing black years ago I'll be posting later on.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Simple and clean, which is what a university with a long, rich history ought to have. The red outline around the "Howard" on the road jersey is a little jarring. Red and blue next to each other is always tricky because they naturally want to compete with each other.

rATMcmK.png

Heh...I got a shout-out. :P

For what it is, I think it'd work for Howard. Nothing fancy, but at the same time has some uniqueness to about it. That said, I kinda wonder how this would look if you were somehow able to do the "double stripe" thing here...something to kinda play off the D.C. flag a little.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived