a very welcome detail on Giants' patch

Ferdinand Cesarano

It would be great, however probably anticlimactic. I think a club vs club tournament would be an MLB slaughter-fest, no team in the world could win a series against a full pro roster from the Majors. The NPB champ might be able to compete, but I don't think they could win.

I guess we'll never know, though... right?

I'm sure that the World Series would be more interesting than a supposed annual World Championship at least 24 times out of 25 (assuming that a team from some other league would pull off a huge upset every couple of decades), but that isn't really the point. The point is that there is no world championship for baseball so no team can call themselves world champions. The World Series is the closest thing to one, but it still isn't the same thing IMO.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players from other countries from around the world come to play here so therefore it can be appropriate to call MLB the highest level of play and therefore World Champions should also be appropriate. No major leaguer strives to be good enough to go play in Japan. Instead it's the other way around. For the WBC, players disperse to go play for their countries for a once every 3-4 year tournament, so you have the best players spread out aswear MLB has all the best in one condensed league. Again, theoretically making MLB the highest level.

So by that reckoning the winner of the English Premier League in soccer is surely also the World Champion? The best players from the world over want to play for Premiership teams, and do! Infact I'm pretty sure the percentage of international players in the EPL outweighs homegrown English talent.

So why aren't the winners of the EPL crowned World Champions? Simple, they haven't played CLUBS/TEAMS from around the world. In order to be a true world champion you have to have played internationally!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived