Best uniform matchups in championship games

Stampman

Those USA uniforms are atrocious. All I see is big navy blobs skating around. Their attempt at breaking up the monochrome look by wearing white helmets only worsens things.

They'd be instantly improved, however, with thicker stripes.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those USA uniforms are atrocious. All I see is big navy blobs skating around. Their attempt at breaking up the monochrome look by wearing white helmets only worsens things.

If the IIHF is only going to allow teams to have 1 helmet, the US should go to blue helmets. Then they should switch to red pants with their blue jerseys (the blue is fine with the white jerseys).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Having a tough time finding images, but I think the Giants/Pats Super Bowls looked pretty nice:

super_bowl_2012_giants_patriots.jpg

I hate the Patriots, but think they always look sharp in their home uniforms. And I initially didn't care for the new Giants roads, but they grew on me in their two championship games.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

@Morgo

The Lightning are better now than then

Well they aped two fantastic designs ;)

True enough, but in combining them they made the design entirely their own, and even if you want to call it derivative it's still worlds better than they ever wore before.

Not really. I still think I'm watching the Leafs play when I see Lightning highlights. The logo is plain and lacks depth, the colour scheme has absolutely nothing to do with the name, there's no strong secondary logo, and there is literally nothing original or unique about the design as a whole. They didn't even keep the victory stripes!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

To be fair, it ain't like the Lightning exactly had a lot of victories in their early goings. :P. But furthermore, what color scheme does have to do with lightning? Most times its a brightish white if not a little off-pale yellowish—but white is one of Tampa's colors. The blue I really can't explain other than it being, well...blue.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Super Bowl XXXVII, the Pirate Bowl.

Forge the Creamsicles, I LOVE the modern Tampa Bay color scheme. The red, orange, black and pewter worked great against Oakland's white-silver look.

1340338305059.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

To be fair, it ain't like the Lightning exactly had a lot of victories in their early goings. :P. But furthermore, what color scheme does have to do with lightning? Most times its a brightish white if not a little off-pale yellowish—but white is one of Tampa's colors. The blue I really can't explain other than it being, well...blue.

The black/silver/blue gave an image of a storm raging at sea in the night. I think a touch of yellow would have helped to portray lightning, but at least the sense of a tropical storm was conveyed. Now? Just royal-ish blue. "Coincidentally" the same shade as Toronto's. Doesn't exactly send off a message of a storm.

Plus, while they weren't exactly the 80's Oilers, a Stanley Cup win for a 90s expansion team is a darn good accomplishment.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

"Coincidentally" the same shade as Toronto's. Doesn't exactly send off a message of a storm.

Not coincidentally, actually.

@Morgo

The Lightning are better now than then

Well they aped two fantastic designs ;)

True enough, but in combining them they made the design entirely their own, and even if you want to call it derivative it's still worlds better than they ever wore before.

Actually, the day of the unveiling, I was optimistic that the Red Wings-esque solid stripe would help distinguish them from the double striped Leafs, design wise. Sadly, that didn't really hold up. They look incredibly similar when playing against each other, almost like an inter-squad scrimmage. It's just to close for my liking. I appreciate the more traditional approach, but I feel they could have achieved that without encroaching on Toronto's colour scheme. The team claimed that they wanted a simple blue and white look, and that they considered the blue the Leafs use (and actually calling it "the Leafs' blue") and the midnight blue the Yankees use. The latter would have been preferable, as it would have achieved that classic look without looking like another classic team.

As for the look itself, it may be better then what came before, but that doesn't excuse it from the above criticisms. The Bucks could drop red and silver entirely and go with simple green and white uniforms with a block wordmark and number font. It would look better then what they wear now, but that wouldn't make it any less of a Cetics ripoff. Even in a vacuum I can't even really like the look, because I find the logo too just be weirdly shaped. A lightning bolt in a simple circle would have looked much better.

• 1 year later...

Thread bump.

Surprised nobody's mentioned the 1993 Stanley Cup Finals. Montreal's classic look, and LA's uniforms were modified to look much better (replaced the silver numbers/letters with blank which made for a superior look)

And since time has passed- the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals too.

Having a tough time finding images, but I think the Giants/Pats Super Bowls looked pretty nice:

super_bowl_2012_giants_patriots.jpg

I hate the Patriots, but think they always look sharp in their home uniforms. And I initially didn't care for the new Giants roads, but they grew on me in their two championship games.

Funnily enough that's one of my most hate SB uni matchups, though it sure beats Steelers vs. Seahawks/Cardinals at least.

Anyway my favorite off the top of my head is probably the 1992 World Series.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Archived