gordie_delini

when you design a jersey, do you prefer matte, chrome, or tradidtional helmets?

tradidtional helmets

No one asked you.......literally.

There are more than one designer here that's been asked questions so I think he's allowed to give his opinion.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to the new LSU template, could this open the door for NFL teams (read Colts and Jets) to slightly tweak their unis by adopting the deeper shoulder stripes? Is this an option for NFL teams next year? I wouldn't see the NFL minding as it wouldn't really qualify as any significant change besides the cut of the jersey.

aawagner011: Now that the LSU-style speed machine jersey has been developed, it will be available to all teams who want to have it. The question will be A) will the teams you mentioned be up for a uniform design at that time and B) will the ownership group want to move into that block? Honestly, it's not really our decision unless they come up for a redesign.

OD_Signature.jpg

Would that really count as a "redesign" for a team like the Colts? There's been a few cases of teams making "tweaks" from year-to-year that didn't count as redesigns (at least as far as the "waiting period" goes.) An example would be the Eagles, who made changes each year from '96 - '98, and the Bills who modified their stupid blue piping a couple of years after adopting it.

Also, since (at least during the rbk era, not sure about now) different players the same team could wear different templates (as long as the design was such to allow for it), so would the league really look at it as an issue if a few players chose this cut and others chose the current?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BringBackTheVet: Technically, yes, any time a team changes their uniform it's consider a redesign, whether that's a complete overhaul or just a tweak, and the NFL has rules about how often this can happen I believe (not 100% on that though). I think this chassis is different enough from the standard speed machine to consider it a full redesign, especially considering that the stripes are inset ribbing and not screen printed.

OD_Signature.jpg

when you design a jersey, do you prefer matte, chrome, or tradidtional helmets?

tradidtional helmets

No one asked you.......literally.

There are more than one designer here that's been asked questions so I think he's allowed to give his opinion.

Apparently you dont know who he is. Questions are primarily geared at Gordie and if other well established designers chime in, thats one thing. A reincarnation of looooogodude is something totally different.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

BringBackTheVet: Technically, yes, any time a team changes their uniform it's consider a redesign, whether that's a complete overhaul or just a tweak, and the NFL has rules about how often this can happen I believe (not 100% on that though). I think this chassis is different enough from the standard speed machine to consider it a full redesign, especially considering that the stripes are inset ribbing and not screen printed.

The NFL has rules on how often teams can do redesigns, but the important thing here is that tweaking the shoulder stripes slightly for on-field jerseys wouldn't impact the replicas or retail authentics at all. Therefore, it would be no more of a change than when Reebok started chopping the stripes on all jerseys. Also, we even with the rules, we have seen the Jaguars change a first-year number font during the preseason in 1997. Also, the Rams wore four different unis in four different years. 1999 was the classic set, then the new set with block numbers and side stripes in 2000, then the custom font in 2001, and in 2002 they dropped the side stripes. I don't think the Jets or Colts would have any issues changing to the new templates.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Brian, here's a question I don't think I've seen here, nor which will compromise any NDA's you may have signed...

With respect to the NFL and their processes, you mentioned at one point early in this thread that finished work/prototypes go "through the league" first, before being shown to the club's decision makers. Can you elaborate on that? Are these folks from NFL Business Ventures, or from some other specific group within the league offices? Basically what I'm curious about is who, at the league level, is deciding if (or what) is being disseminated to the teams.

An answer to that, together with any longshot influence you might have of getting the Pittsburgh Steelers to abandon their God-awful uniform font and throwback uniform, respectively, would be greatly appreciated. :D

nav-logo.png

Mac the Knife: First off, I wasn't ever involved with the NFL at any point, and none of the designers really are. There's a Nike-NFL liason who's a swoosh employee that we'll occasionally deal with, but I really have no idea who specifically it is at the NFL that these designs go through in the first place. As far as influence goes with specific teams, we can design out all the flaws we want (looking at you, Dallas) but at the end of the day if the ownership and the league say no, our hands at Nike are tied and there's nothing we can really do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now - the most overlooked aspect of uniform design, logo design, and indeed graphic design in general is client input. At the end of the day, it's their product, and if they don't sign off on it, it's our job to make them happy. If that means keeping a flawed design, or going with an "inferior" design option, that's really not the fault of the design team. All we can control is how much pushback we give and how much we try and steer them in another direction.

OD_Signature.jpg

Thanks for answering my previous question regarding the new LSU template! Continuing off of that, is that new cut only offered with the shoulder striping? Or is it a new cut with options that make it a usable space for other types of design (other than the stripes)? I hope I worded that clearly.

Watching the LSU game last night, I thought they looked good. It got me wondering though if you have the ability to put fabric over the armpit mesh. That way the loops could occur. Also, can LSU's old font fit on the New Jersey template?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Griffinmarlins: We could, but why would we do that to compromise the breathability of the jersey? The intent of lengthening the stripes down was to give LSU more of their signature look while maintaining the benefits of the speed machine uniform. And no, LSU's old numbers can't fit on the new jersey. The stripes coming down further decreased the live area width on the main part of the jersey, so those numbers had to be redesigned.

OD_Signature.jpg

That's interesting. But it also helps explain why they rolled out the new number font.

Would any pro NFL teams need to adjust their number sizes as well if they were to opt for that stripe solution? Or I suppose they (the teams as well as whoever in Nike deals with uniform construction) might look at reducing the size of the stripes to accomodate the existing numbers?

Also...I'm fine with the LSU situation as is. With the way jerseys are designed in present day, that's about the best compromise between functional design and aesthetic preference we could hope for. Unless/until jerseys are again made with more material in the "sleeves", there's no way those loops would go all the way around and still look good.

(And as a point of reference, not even the hoops on the '60s and '70s Colts/Eagles/Jets jerseys went all the way around all the time, either. :P)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived