gordie_delini

I think this is great. This is something that is missing from the way a lot of the posters here look at and critique uniform design. Especially the ones who have not worked in an agency environment. There is a lot of push and pull, both from team and league that affects the final design. There is not as much freedom as some think; it's not like the concepts people make on this forum where they can throw out whatever they want.

Very well done write up, and insight into the Nike process. I'm sure you have lots of specific anecdotes that would be fascinating to hear.

This is the hardest part about reading some of the outside critique. People don't understand the process but criticize the work as if they do. In my opinion, it's not possible to properly critique something without knowing the circumstances under which the work was designed and produced. Even being a designer at adidas, I can understand how difficult it is for a Nike designer like Brian to take an idea from design to production. The design processes are generally very similar even though he works for a competitor.

Good writeup, BG.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Harrington: Spot on, sir. The process was one of the parts I wanted to highlight, because I know you guys get the same kind of blowback we do at the swoosh.

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU: No real insight as to why Michigan left Nike for adidas. It may have been a switch at AD, students complaining about Nike's fair trade policies (though we've worked hard to improve those considerably), or even just something as simple as the contract ran out, and Nike was outbid by adidas for the new contract. Don't know anything about any unused Michigan designs, there's nothing I've seen floating around the servers.

Wyopokes: Thank you sir :D 2013 will be an exciting season for me!

OD_Signature.jpg

Do you know what the intent was for michigan leaving nike and going to adidas. Cause I think it was a dumb move I hope they go back to nike someday and did you guys have any thing that was supposed to be used by michigan that didn't get used since they left?

Without going into specifics (because A. I don't know them and B. I wouldn't be allowed to discuss them anyway), it works like any other business negotiation. There are infinite scenarios. Maybe Big University X is just one of the pack in its outfitter's portfolio, and another one comes calling at proposal time and wants to make Big University X its flagship school (or one of them). You can see how that might make a school think a little bit, even if it's not unhappy with its current partnership. You see it happen all the time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

People don't understand the process but criticize the work as if they do. In my opinion, it's not possible to properly critique something without knowing the circumstances under which the work was designed and produced.

Nonsense. We don't have to know anything about cameras to love or hate a movie. A person can barely be able to type, but their impression of a novel is every bit as valuable as yours or mine.

Now, maybe people aren't as able to figure out what went wrong (or right) with designs not knowing the process, but intimate knowledge of the sausage factory has never been a prerequisite for a critique. I'm willing to bet that most people who come to one of my plays have very little actual understanding of story structure, can't tell a fresnel from a foghorn and don't know why actors won't whistle in a theatre, but that doesn't make their reaction to my show any less real or valuable.

Does the product move you? Does it inspire you? Or does it feel flat, stale or derivative? That core emotional reaction doesn't require a degree.

Can you tell us why Oregon decided to take the O off the sides of the helmet?

ya, i'd like to hear that

what does the template look like?

He posted the link o his high school rivalry uniform an it had it on the template I'm guessing is the official one

ya, that is probably it.

spacer.png

I can't confirm or deny the template that I used in my high school stuff is official or not.

As for Oregon, I wasn't around during the design process for the new uniform, but they did explore ways to keep the O on the side. It was largely an aesthetic choice, but I think the main reasoning was to allow the Wings to become the future for the identity of the Ducks.

Chawls: For getting a logo from me, I'd say start with an email or PM and tell me what you're looking for, your timeframe, and your budget :)

OD_Signature.jpg

People don't understand the process but criticize the work as if they do. In my opinion, it's not possible to properly critique something without knowing the circumstances under which the work was designed and produced.

Nonsense. We don't have to know anything about cameras to love or hate a movie. A person can barely be able to type, but their impression of a novel is every bit as valuable as yours or mine.

Now, maybe people aren't as able to figure out what went wrong (or right) with designs not knowing the process, but intimate knowledge of the sausage factory has never been a prerequisite for a critique. I'm willing to bet that most people who come to one of my plays have very little actual understanding of story structure, can't tell a fresnel from a foghorn and don't know why actors won't whistle in a theatre, but that doesn't make their reaction to my show any less real or valuable.

Does the product move you? Does it inspire you? Or does it feel flat, stale or derivative? That core emotional reaction doesn't require a degree.

This is true, but you do have to know the process behind the design if you want to assign blame for why something went wrong. Anyone can say "I don't like the striping choice on the jerseys for Team X" and their opinion is worth the same as anyone else's. But it would be unfair to say "Company Y did a horrible job designing the striping on Team X's jerseys" without knowing what went on behind the scenes in the designing of the jerseys. It seems like people here blame the company more often than not when they don't like a design element, but it could have been the team or league that required the company do it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

shaydre1019: You can view my website here and my twitter handle is @bgundell (though I don't tweet often). Can't do much to help you with a job sir, but check out the careers page at nikeinc.com

I have worked a little bit with Hydro graphics. Pretty much the way it works is we'll do line art or rendering on a helmet, and we'll tell them what we're looking for. They'll give it a shot, and come back to us. It's pretty much like any design process, lots of back and forth until we get what we're looking for. We order decals from a separate company.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived