gordie_delini

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the designs you've done that you can reveal, which did you think turned out the best, and which turned out the worst?

You don't have to answer the second part of that if you don't want to.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

What's the process with getting your fonts on a uniform? Is your vendor/supplier able to make any set as long as you provide vectors? Is it easier for the vendor to make unique fonts from screen printing rather than twill?

When you design numbers, how many versions do you have to provide? Do you have to make different front/back/shoulder versions?

Is Powers still the primary vendor for making your uniforms, or do you have in-house capabilities?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wow Brian. As someone who was very active and receptive when I first began to frequent the boards, I'm thrilled to see your career take off in such an awesome way... (even if you stole that Old Hat logo... just kidding :P)

Congrats man, and keep up the good work.

How can a group of established designers actually think those collars look good?

Being involved in one project my self, I can say too much thinking goes into something at times. It would just be better to let 6 separate designers create 6 different concepts and go from there, When multiple people are involved(a good chunk of the time they are not even designers opinions, they are "suits"), they all want their ideas used in the project, and it creates a bit of a mess sometimes.

The NHL's mess of 3rd jerseys for the NHL in the 90's was created by designers who had not interest in sport.

Here's a question that really ain't got nothing to do with all this wealth of great inside info being discussed here—and this is just so I know whether or not it's even worth hanging onto what's left of this half-a**ed pipe dream of mine in regards to building and running my own freelance imprint with the hope of moving on up in the game....

...Design is not something one does for money; it's done for love and passion of the craft. That said, how's the pay at y'alls levels? (BG, AH, CD, Pat Cummings if he/you happen to see this, Baze...whoever else is connected on the inside.) Is itthe anywhere nearelse decent? (Upwards of 32K annual is about what I consider decent.) I ask because a brotha got bills and a bunch of other bulls*#t to deal with.

Thanks in advance... ~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

it was reported that the Titans were the first team to go all in on the nike elite uniform. what exactly does that mean?

i know you can't rumor speculate or whatever but if you had to guess, would the Titans be in line for a uniform design overhaul? what other teams would you want to redesign?

Griffinmarlins: We design helmets as part of a uniform, and decals/facemasks are incorporated as part of that.

CRichardson: Can't really talk about that, sorry

Brave-Bird08: I wasn't around for 2011's Rivalry Uniforms, but yes, I imagine it was largely the same process. Though I know the school had a large influence on the final design and ended up editing significantly. That's prominent amongst the SEC schools.

Jim: Yes, our factories can make any numbers, and we build them all as vectors. It's no different screen/print versus twill, for twill it's all laser cut. There's really no limit to what we can do for our top-tier schools. We design slight variations for front, back, and TV numbers, so that they 1) fit on the panel in the best way and are 2) maximized for legibility. Powers is really not our primary vendor for uniforms. They are really used for our non-premier schools and don't really provide the completely custom uniforms we do in that group.

GFB: Thanks for the kind words!

kw11333: It's rare that more than one designer tackles each uniform design. Generally it's one designer per uniform. This cuts down on the amount of opinions and keeps the design from getting watered down. That's not to say it doesn't happen ever - sometimes a team needs more variety and other designers will be brought in to take a stab at it. As for the collar, we're kinda hampered by the design of the actual uniform, sorry you don't like that. Can't please everyone.

Buc: Freelancing can be very lucrative, if you can keep enough work going. I'm making good money as a contractor, though I don't have benefits right now.

ONUV: It means they were the first team to adopt Nike's uniform system from head to toe, including all of our innovations like the flywire collar. Dunno anything about a redesign for the Titans. If I were to pick a team I'd like to redesigns...hmm...I think maybe the Broncos could be fun, or one of the teams who would be open to a more modern and contemporary designs. I wouldn't want a "traditional" team like the Bears or the Packers.

OD_Signature.jpg

CRichardson: Can't really talk about that, sorry

Aw, damnit.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I have a couple of questions... stuff that gets a lot of discussion on these boards, so I'm sure i'm not the only one who is interested.

1. As I'm sure you know, we spend a lot oif time around here bitching about what has become of the UCLA style stripe. I'm wondering if the cut off stripe that LSU, UCLA, the Colts, etc. now wear is a point of discussion within Nike-land at all, or if they/you consider it to be a non-issue.

And 2. Hey, what about those NFL collars? They are pretty much universally hated on these boards (and lots of other boards, too)... what is the in-house thought on those collars?

oldschoolvikings: Yes, the truncated shoulder stripes are a matter of discussion here. The NFL collars aren't the most popular. Square peg in a round hole kind of a situation. We tend to stay away from blocking the whole collar for the most part unless requested to do so.

Jim: Not sure who the primary factory is that produces the actual garments, we work with lots of them around the world. But the designs are done by our group.

OD_Signature.jpg

oldschoolvikings: Yes, the truncated shoulder stripes are a matter of discussion here.

Please, keep discussing it! If there's is some way those stripes can be fixed so those teams actually look like thenselves, again, this would be an awesome thing. (I realize UCLA is no longer a Nike school... and those stripes adidas put on them make Nike's truncated stripes look almost passable.)

Thanks for sharing your experience, and congrats on your career progress etc.

-Is Nike aware of this board, and if so are there any funny stories regarding feedback etc?

-When teams send feedback, maybe you don't know exact details on their sample size, but do you have any idea how many people see the alternatives? Or is it likely just the coaches/AD?

-Has a team ever requested something so heinous that Nike says "no"? I know the customer is always right...but if it was deemed "ugly" and the public blamed Nike, not the team, it might reflect poorly on Nike.

-What's up with the belts and pant stripes in the NFL? :therock:

mattb6: I prefer the helmet that fits the uniform the best. It can be a mix of matte/chrome, metallic, etc. It's honestly what's most appropriate.

_RH_: Nike's kinda too busy to really pay attention to this board, other than myself. No real stories there tbh. We have no idea how many people see the uniforms, but for sure it's the AD, coaches, and the EQ guys. To my knowledge, we've never said no to a request. We've disagreed with certain requests, but in the end they're the client so we fulfill those requests. We do suggest alternatives that we recommend however. And what exactly do you mean re: pants stripes and belts in the NFL?

Griffinmarlins: No we haven't touched any helmets for VT this year. We are not always 100% involved with every school we are affiliated with.

Brandon: My pleasure :)

MC2: I'm not implying that at all; I was saying that I had a personal hand in a lot of stuff coming out in 2013.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived