2012 College Football Coach Changes/How Many Years Does One Give a Coach?

dfwabel

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to Southern Miss, this team won Conference USA last season, has been consistently hanging around the 6-9 win range since 1990, and was projected to be in said range this season. Also, it is arguable he just cost Southern Miss Big East membership.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To be fair to Southern Miss, this team won Conference USA last season, has been consistently hanging around the 6-9 win range since 1990, and was projected to be in said range this season. Also, it is arguable he just cost Southern Miss Big East membership.

i can't say I've followed Southern Miss closely, but Fedora probably got out at the perfect time.

And nothing official yet, but it's being reported that Mark Stoops has accepted the Kentucky job.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Reports say Colorado is interested in ex-Kansas head coach Mark Mangino. Yes, that guy.

mangino.jpg

Mangino is also interested in the UTEP opening.

Mark Stoops to UK is a done deal. All over the Louisville evening news, at least.

Updated to the last post. All new hires will be in Bold on post #1.

Arkansas has offered LSU's Les Miles a contract, according to my ESPN app.

Do they actually think that they will get him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brXuXaCx5aw&list=FL_MmmkXrfiayv1l2vkAHMVA&index=18&feature=plpp_video

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

There are rumors that a booster-fueled palace coup may be in progress at Texas. Mack Brown could "resign" at some point in the next week.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A couple of reasons why rumors are just that and why tweets cannot be trustes:

Footballscoop.com wrongly reported a Western Michigan hire.

The Charlie Strong interviewing at Auburn report from The Birmingham News.

As for Colorado, I still don't think that AD Mike Bohn should be the one to hire a coach. He has fired three (Barnett, Hawkins, Embree) and hired the last two. Regardless of local/alumni factors, he should not be given a chance to hire a third coach. Today's (Wednesday) ESPNU podcast with Ivan Maisel had Chris Fowler (a CU alum) on and Fowler was pretty damn honest on the situation an alum with overall knowledge of college football operations.

If Colorado does hire Mangino, there will be "June Jones" backlash by Colorado alumns and fans. I also agree with what dfwabel said regarding Bohn. In fact, I would go so far as to say CU should hold out on hiring a head coach until the find a replacement for Bohn. (Yes, he needs to go!)

6uXNWAo.png

If Colorado does hire Mangino, there will be "June Jones" backlash by Colorado alumns and fans. I also agree with what dfwabel said regarding Bohn. In fact, I would go so far as to say CU should hold out on hiring a head coach until the find a replacement for Bohn. (Yes, he needs to go!)

I just don't think that if you, as a CEO make two poor hires in your major position, you should not be able to get the opportunity to make a third.

As far as the Colorado job, that team was young and the issues which Hawkins had in recruiting impacted Embree greatly.

Now, Embree's record was unacceptable and there was a real reason to dismiss him. Colorado "people" wanted too many coaches who were connected to McCartney era and it got them zero home wins in 2012.

Fact is that the state of Colorado is not a hub of 4 or 5-star HS players. Players of that caliber don't equate to a team's success, but there is little in-state talent. The last big name Colorado HS talent I recall was RB-Marcus Houston (not the IMX singer/actor).

Steve Sarkisian is on his third bowl game after a long time of not very much for the Huskies. I think the job stays his until he himself finds something better (maybe back to USC?).

DG,

I look at the Washington job like many alums look at it. Sarkisian is not making the team better when getting paid $2.25+M.

He is currently 26-23. The following are the records of other coaches still at the same school hired for the 2009 season:

Dabo Swinney (Clemson) 35-18

Dan Mullen (Miss. St.) 29-21

Paul Rhoads (Iowa St) 24-26

Doug Marrone (Syarcuse) 24-25

Gary Andersen (UT St.) 25-24

Danny Hope (Purdue) 21-27 FIRED

UW has higher expectations for their program than each of those other schools. They fired staff last year and gave major money to assistants who really did not improve the team. The Wazzu loss was bad since they blew an 18 point lead in the 4th and lost to THAT team.

There are rumors out there that USF had a meeting last night on the future of Skip Holtz and tonight's game would have no bearing win or lose.

There are also rumors saying Holtz will resign his position following tonight's game with Pitt.

Archived