Sign in to follow this  
mania

All Time Baseball Draft 2012-13

I can't seem to find the old thread we did this on, but a couple of years ago, we had a draft thread where people were able to build an all time baseball team. It was a lot of dorky fun, and I'd like to do it again, this time with a couple of rules changes.

RULES

We will be looking for 12-15 teams.

To join the draft, you need to meet fantasy requirements (6 months, 500 posts) and be in good standing.

You will be drafting a 25 man roster, so consider the time involvement. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, DH, C, 1B/3B, 2B/SS, 2 x OF, SP x 6, RP x 5

CHANGES FOR 2012

When selecting a player, you have to declare their spot on your team, and the team you are drafting them under.

You are limited to one player per team. You can game this, obviously. Let's say you have selected Nolan Ryan as a Met, Jackie Robinson as a Dodger, and you want Mike Piazza. You can draft him as a Marlin. There is no minimum requirement for team loyalty for them to be drafted. Obviously, if a team maintains lineage, you can draft a player who played in the team's prior city. So you can draft Babe Ruth as a Brave, for example.

A player needs 300 games at a position (check B-Ref) to qualify for that position.

So who's in?

Last time, it was team names being current or former major league or negro league teams. How about when you sign up, you choose a minor league team name, past or present, as your team?

I would do it if time limits are going to be enforced from day one, but otherwise I really have no interest.

The last one really was not all that much fun after the few rounds or so. People were dropping/taking too long with their picks. The basketball one went marginally better but still a little slow for me.

My suggestion would be to wait until after the holidays to start this. Right now its crazy time for everybody and this is really not all that important in the grand scheme of things.