Okay, Here's MY W H A

JamesCraven

With the WHA about to be reborn like a phoenix, here's my concept for a personal version of the league.

The league would play in cities not currently in the National Hockey League in order not ot conflict with the older, more established organ-eye-zay-shun as they pronounce it up in Canada, eh?

Here's my cities:

Birmingham, AL (BJCC, 16,000)+

Halafax, NS (MetroCentre, 12,500)

Winnipeg, MB (MTS Centre, 15,015)+

Quebec City, QC (Le Colisee Pepsi, 14,500)+

San Diego, CA (Sports Arena, 14,500)+

Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Arena, 14,000)

Kansas City, MO (Kemper Arena, 16,500)*

Houston, TX (Toyota Center, 16,500)+

Orlando, FL (TDWaterhouse Center, 15,000)

Tacoma, WA (TacomaDome, 20,000)

Milwaukee, WI (Bradley Center, 17,000)

Saskatoon, SK (Arena, 12,000)

+ - Former WHA city.

* - Former NHL city.

Note that there are five former WHA cities that have hosted a franchise, and that Kansas City would be the recipient of an team.

Play would be from November through March (60 game schedule) with playoffs in April.

'Nuff said. What do you think?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Pretty good, man. Mine would be....

Winnipeg

Quebec

Halifax

Hamilton

Hartford

Kansas City

Cleveland

New York (Needed for Media coverage...)

Paris

London

Prague

Frankfurt

Games would be predominantly in division, with 10 games between division mates (30) and four with everyone else (32) bringing the season to 62 games. Travel to Europe would be in road trips. This also avoids competition in NHL cities. Playoffs would be NFL System: Division winners and 3 wild cards.

If I'm beating a dead horse...I apologize. In fact, fellow posters forgive me for what I'm about to do....

The Xlr8r/Red Dragon/Keith WHA (a trip down memory lane)

North Upstates Central Division

Quebec Rafales (Montreal Canadiens fold and move up the road to Quebec City to become)

Worcester Ice Cats (the AHL team folds and the IHL Houston Aeros move to Worcester)

Jersey City Knights

New York/New Jersey Devils (NYI and NJ Devils combine franchises)

Portland Sabres (Buffalo Sabres move to Portland, ME)

Sun Belt Publix Grocery Stores Division

Carolina Hurricanes change name to become the Carolina Cougars

Cape Fear Fire Ants (SEHL team is bought out and brought up to the "big time")

Texas Texans (Dallas Stars,San Antonio Stampede, Ft.Worth Brahmas, Corpus Christi Ice Rays, Lubbock Cotton Kings all combine franchises)

Nashville Post-Reconstruction SouthStars (Carpet-Bagger holding a hockey stick in the logo)

Post Cereal Celebrity All-Stars (Featuring team Captain...Dave Coulier from Full House!)

Can-Am Mountain and Central Time Zone Division

Colorado Rockies (the baseball team folds and the owners convert the baseball players into hockey players)

Bismark Bwuisers (the owners liked the Gwinnett Gwizzlies of the ABA's idea)

Grand Rapids Griffins

Red Deer Hayseed Hellraisers

Western Montana Bruins (Boston Bruins fold and move to Helena, and yes, I know Helena is not in Western Montana)

Surf's Up - Bullseye BBQ Division

Osaka Tsunami Penguins (Pittsburgh team is bought and moved to the land of the Rising Sun)

California Seals

California GOLDEN Seals

California Off The Hook Golden Seals

Long Beach Ice Dogs

San Diego MarinerDawgzz (team named through contest, of course)

Utah Jazz

It's a little over the top...but hopefully it will cause a few laughs for those of us that endured the "my (insert league name here)" era.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

If I'm beating a dead horse...I apologize. In fact, fellow posters forgive me for what I'm about to do....

Quebec Rafales (Montreal Canadiens fold and move up the road to Quebec City to become)

Worcester Ice Cats (the AHL team folds and the IHL Houston Aeros move to Worcester)

Jersey City Knights

Texas Texans (Dallas Stars,San Antonio Stampede, Ft.Worth Brahmas, Corpus Christi Ice Rays, Lubbock Cotton Kings all combine franchises)

Nashville Post-Reconstruction SouthStars (Carpet-Bagger holding a hockey stick in the logo)

Post Cereal Celebrity All-Stars (Featuring team Captain...Dave Coulier from Full House!)

Colorado Rockies (the baseball team folds and the owners convert the baseball players into hockey players)

Grand Rapids Griffins

Western Montana Bruins (Boston Bruins fold and move to Helena, and yes, I know Helena is not in Western Montana)

Osaka Tsunami Penguins (Pittsburgh team is bought and moved to the land of the Rising Sun)

California Seals

California GOLDEN Seals

Long Beach Ice Dogs

Utah Jazz

It's a little over the top...but hopefully it will cause a few laughs for those of us that endured the "my (insert league name here)" era.

WHA without the Houston Aeros? We do have a few Avco Cups. :hockeysmiley:

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Winnipeg (suceed)

Quebec (suceed)

Halifax (Too small of arena)

Hamilton (Fail)

Hartford (No Arena)

Kansas City (sucess)

Cleveland (Fail)

New York (Nassau I believe is operated by Isles Owner)

Paris Toss up

London same

Prague same

Frankfurt same

Birmingham, AL (Fail)+

Halafax, NS (too small of arena)

Winnipeg, MB (sucess)+

Quebec City, QC (sucess)+

San Diego, CA (average)+

Las Vegas, NV (fail)

Kansas City, MO (sucess)*

Houston, TX (sucess)+

Orlando, FL (fail)

Tacoma, WA (fail)

Milwaukee, WI (fail)

Saskatoon, SK (too small of arena)

"If I'm beating a dead horse...I apologize. In fact, fellow posters forgive me for what I'm about to do....

"The Xlr8r/Red Dragon/Keith WHA (a trip down memory lane)

"North Upstates Central Division."

• Quebec Rafales (Montreal Canadiens fold and move up the road to Quebec City to become)
  • Worcester Ice Cats (the AHL team folds and the IHL Houston Aeros move to Worcester)
  • Jersey City Knights
  • New York/New Jersey Devils (NYI and NJ Devils combine franchises)
  • Portland Sabres (Buffalo Sabres move to Portland, ME)

"Sun Belt Publix Grocery Stores Division"

• Carolina Hurricanes change name to become the Carolina Cougars
  • Cape Fear Fire Ants (SEHL team is bought out and brought up to the "big time")
  • Texas Texans (Dallas Stars, San Antonio Stampede, Ft.Worth Brahmas, Corpus Christi Ice Rays, Lubbock Cotton Kings all combine franchises)
  • Nashville Post-Reconstruction SouthStars (Carpet-Bagger holding a hockey stick in the logo)
  • Post Cereal Celebrity All-Stars (Featuring team Captain...Dave Coulier from Full House!)

"Can-Am Mountain and Central Time Zone Division"

• Colorado Rockies (the baseball team folds and the owners convert the baseball players into hockey players)
  • Bismark Bwuisers (the owners liked the Gwinnett Gwizzlies of the ABA's idea)
  • Grand Rapids Griffins
  • Red Deer Hayseed Hellraisers
  • Western Montana Bruins (Boston Bruins fold and move to Helena, and yes, I know Helena is not in Western Montana)

"Surf's Up - Bullseye BBQ Division"

• Osaka Tsunami Penguins (Pittsburgh team is bought and moved to the land of the Rising Sun)
  • California Seals
  • California GOLDEN Seals
  • California Off The Hook Golden Seals
  • Long Beach Ice Dogs
  • San Diego MarinerDawgzz (team named through contest, of course)
  • Utah Jazz

"It's a little over the top...but hopefully it will cause a few laughs for those of us that endured the 'my (insert league name here)' era."

In your case, you really, REALLY ought to get a life, my firend.

Note that I didn't put in any "Centers of the frickin' universe" (i. e. Toronto and New York) in my concept. The idea was to bring major league hockey into these markets that do not have major league-type franchises.

And a note to notorioussap: San Diego, Las Vegas, Tacoma and Milwaukee may succeed because the nearest NHL franchise is about 90 miles away (LA/Anaheim, Vancouver and Chicago). And Saskatoon has a 12,000 seat arena, which is the pre-set minimum I established.

The league would play in cities not currently in the National Hockey League in order not ot conflict with the older, more established organ-eye-zay-thun as they pronounce it up in Canada, eh?

Who ends organization with a Thun sound? it is "shun" up too!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Yea, Hartford would need to work arrangements to build a new stadium with the State of Connecticut. Believe me though, I want them back!!!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm sorry, Pot, I couldn't quite hear you over the whistling of the Kettle.  Were you calling him black?

that's golden. Hilarious.

That's good... might have to consider using that one sometime, if you don't mind.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Jersey City Knights

Grand Rapids Griffins

California Seals

California GOLDEN Seals

Long Beach Ice Dogs

Utah Jazz

Are you on crack???

A true xlr8r league would have at least FOUR teams in Nashville.

:P

As for James's original setup, I like it - good thinking involved there.

Archived