New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

Going further back, as BlueSky noted (and I remember it well, too) the "fait acccompli" of naming the AAA team the Maskers was killed by public condemnation.

My neighbor is originally from New Orleans and he remembers the Maskers-to-Pelicans switch, as well. In fact, he recalls the circumstances surrounding the team's rebranding as being even more colorful.

According to him, the franchise relocated from Tulsa and announced that it would be dubbed the Maskers after conducting a "Name-The-Team" contest. Local sentiment was that said contest was fixed, as most area residents were pretty vocal in voicing their disdain for the Maskers name. In fact, a local physician let team management know that he so despised the Maskers name that he would buy 70 season tickets, at a total cost of $14,000, if the ballclub would become the Pelicans. That was enough to cinch the deal.

In any event, the Pelicans relocated to Springfield, Illinois after the 1977 American Association season, as the cost of operating out of the Superdome proved prohibitive.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any event, the Pelicans relocated to Springfield, Missouri after the 1977 American Association season, as the cost of operating out of the Superdome proved prohibitive.

Minor correction. They moved to Springfield, Illinois.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

OMGWTF IS THIS?!

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But the reality is that the Jazz have been in Utah for 30 years and have had some top-shelf teams associated with the name in that time. There's no rolling that back, realistically.

So what I think is going on here is some shrewd (and cheap) marketing analysis.. "leak" a possibility for a new name and colors, see how the public reacts, then move forward accordingly while never acknowledging anything.

Agreed. Hopefully the negative reaction will convince ownership to reverse course. Why not do a name-the-team contest promotion where the team will take the most popular name suggestion(s) and offer them up for a fan vote against 2-3 team-selected choices? Seems like that would encourage more engagement of the fanbase with the team and give them the new start they seem to be looking for.

But the reality is that the Jazz have been in Utah for 30 years and have had some top-shelf teams associated with the name in that time. There's no rolling that back, realistically.

I understand where you are coming from. I think your argument applies to the L.A. Lakers, but I'm not sure it applies to the Utah Jazz who I believe have won two conference championships in their history.

I think Utah should change their name to the "Buzz" ... a similar short name with the same ending consonants ... the name connects with the Mormons and their triple-A baseball team, the Salt Lake Bees.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I think Utah should change their name to the "Buzz" ... a similar short name with the same ending consonants ... the name connects with the Mormons and their triple-A baseball team, the Salt Lake Bees.

Why would the organization currently known as the Jazz want to change their nickname to one that was rejected by the city's Triple-A baseball team after a few years of use? Allow SLC residents to recycle their old Buzz merchandise?

Salt-Lake-Buzz_logo.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I never got this argument. People act as though Jazz music is only written/performed/recorded in New Orleans. While I understand Jazz music has a special connection to New Orleans, the city doesn't have an exclusive monopoly on everything Jazz related.

jNTsTyQ.png

I understand where you are coming from. I think your argument applies to the L.A. Lakers, but I'm not sure it applies to the Utah Jazz who I believe have won two conference championships in their history.

GTFO.

Today, we are all otaku.

Why would the organization currently known as the Jazz want to change their nickname to one that was rejected by the city's Triple-A baseball team after a few years of use? Allow SLC residents to recycle their old Buzz merchandise?

Salt-Lake-Buzz_logo.png

...one that is also associated with Major League 3: Back to the Minors and ultimately was changed because of a lawsuit by Georgia Tech, if I recall correctly. Carry on. I like Pelicans. And turtles.

I LOOOOOVE the Pelicans name. Great local connection, and it's timeless -- no worries that it will sound dated like "Orlando Magic" does. Plenty of existing team names would get criticized for sounding silly if they were new today; the haters would hate any change. Give it a good logo and good jerseys and the merch will sell itself.

The only thing I'm sad about is that we'll lose my favorite alternate jersey in the league. This is the only NBA jersey that doesn't use any white at all, right?

32-49266-Y.jpg

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

If you don't include logo outlines (white outline on the fleur-de-bee), the Cavaliers' alt comes to mind. The logo's mostly white on the road red, though.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Archived