New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Golden State Gators. References the Golden Gate Bridge and the Oakland Zoo in one fell swoop.

How does it reference the Golden Gate Bridge? And who cares about the Oakland Zoo? Also, dump Golden State while you're at it. It shouldn't have ever changed from San Francisco.

GATE-ors. I know, it's a stretch, but so is a Utahn team calling themselves the Jazz. B)

Actually....

1225242598553.png

They just need to leave Seymour D. Fair (from Expo '84) out entirely.

Awww...what's wrong with Seymour?

th_Seymour.jpg

Man.. World's Fair 1984... brings back memories; I worked there from the opening day to closing day; that summer between my sophomore and junior years of college had to be the BEST SUMMER OF MY LIFE. An easy, fun job that put money in my pocket; fireworks over the river every night at closing; more than half of my friends and acquaintances were also working the fair and we met all kinds of great people; lots of stuff going on-- concerts, new bars & nightclubs; and of course, girls, girls, girls. Oh, to be 19 again....

It is what it is.

Proposed mass eight team nickname trade (tried to make it work, some teams still make little sense, but no worse than what we have now):

Minnesota Lakers ---> Land of 10000 lakes

Utah Raptors ---> the Utahraptor

Charlotte Hornets ---> original name

New Orleans Jazz ---> oriniginal name

Memphis Kings ---> Elvis

Los Angeles Grizzlies ---> continues bear theme in LA (UCLA Bruins)

Toronto Huskies (Tiberwolves) ---> Toronto acquires a dog name, change into the old Huskies to continue dog theme

Sacramento Bobcats ---> continues cat theme in Sac-town (Sacramento River Cats)

Take his water.

I'll hold you to that what the 2004 expansion Charlotte Hornets honour their rich tradition by raising #33 to the rafters :P:upside:

And hang a banner to honor the WORST NBA TEAM EVAH!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Breaking news from the Myrtle Beach Pelicans...

INSPIRED BY NEW ORLEANS NAME CHANGE, MiLB'S PELICANS CONSIDER RE-BRANDING: http://myrtlebeach.p...t=.jsp&sid=t521

Not sure if this is serious or just the most sarcastic, satirical press release ever written but I think it's hilarious. Although I would be sad to see a beautiful identity lost out of spite.

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

I never got this argument. People act as though Jazz music is only written/performed/recorded in New Orleans. While I understand Jazz music has a special connection to New Orleans, the city doesn't have an exclusive monopoly on everything Jazz related.

A lot of cities have connections with Jazz (KC, St. Louis, New York), but I would not put Salt Lake City on that list.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

I never got this argument. People act as though Jazz music is only written/performed/recorded in New Orleans. While I understand Jazz music has a special connection to New Orleans, the city doesn't have an exclusive monopoly on everything Jazz related.

A lot of cities have connections with Jazz (KC, St. Louis, New York), but I would not put Salt Lake City on that list.

And I don't associate living in Richmond with Dolphins fandom. Change the avatar because it is illogical.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

But the reality is that the Jazz have been in Utah for 30 years and have had some top-shelf teams associated with the name in that time. There's no rolling that back, realistically.

I understand where you are coming from. I think your argument applies to the L.A. Lakers, but I'm not sure it applies to the Utah Jazz who I believe have won two conference championships in their history.

Are you saying because of jazz' two conference championships their name can be irrelevant, yet the lakers; one of the nba's powerhouses and probably the most legendary team in basketball history, should change their name because it is irrelevant

I'm saying the L.A. Lakers, arguably the greatest franchise in the NBA, is a great brand and the name should never be changed. I do not, however, view the Utah Jazz in the same light, and I would ditch the mismatched name.

But that's just my opinion.

But the reality is that the Jazz have been in Utah for 30 years and have had some top-shelf teams associated with the name in that time. There's no rolling that back, realistically.

I understand where you are coming from. I think your argument applies to the L.A. Lakers, but I'm not sure it applies to the Utah Jazz who I believe have won two conference championships in their history.

Are you saying because of jazz' two conference championships their name can be irrelevant, yet the lakers; one of the nba's powerhouses and probably the most legendary team in basketball history, should change their name because it is irrelevant

I'm saying the L.A. Lakers, arguably the greatest franchise in the NBA, is a great brand and the name should never be changed. I do not, however, view the Utah Jazz in the same light, and I would ditch the mismatched name.

But that's just my opinion.

As a huge Jazz fan I do agree with you. I really wouldn't mind if we gave (or sold) back the Jazz name to New Orleans. I just wouldn't want to pick some uninspired team nickname like the Bobcats, Pioneers or whatever. I would much prefer a return to the Utah Stars nickname, because there is a history behind the team as well.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

And I don't associate living in Richmond with Dolphins fandom. Change the avatar because it is illogical.

The Miami Dolphins' fan base is quite broad actually and the last time I checked, Richmond doesn't have a NFL football team.

The Miami Dolphins' fan base is quite broad actually.

I've found a pretty decent Dolphins fan base in both NY and London- I'm not sure of further out west but I believe Marino has alot to do with it.

Richmond isn't that far fetched.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

The Miami Dolphins' fan base is quite broad actually.

I've found a pretty decent Dolphins fan base in both NY and London- I'm not sure of further out west but I believe Marino has alot to do with it.

Richmond isn't that far fetched.

I believe that during the 70s, 80s and the first half of the 90s, The Dolphins were one of the top teams with regards to sales of their merchandise.

Then do a favor and spit infront of Malone, Stockton and Jerry Sloan. Because by your logic, an irregular team's name is only saved if it wins championships.

We all know there is no Jazz reference in Salt Lake City, but the name has stuck to fans because of what that franchise is, which is coincidentally the "Jazz." Like the Lakers, the Utah NBA team has lore into its name, and that lore associates it with that team.

Who did the greatest assist person play for? The Jazz.

What team did Karl Malone play for? The Jazz.

Who fought Michael Jordan for his toughest championships of his career? The Utah Jazz.

You can't strip the Jazz off Utah as easily as the Hornets or Wizards or Bobcats. When you build lore, the name stays. My opinion.

As a huge Jazz fan I do agree with you. I really wouldn't mind if we gave (or sold) back the Jazz name to New Orleans. I just wouldn't want to pick some uninspired team nickname like the Bobcats, Pioneers or whatever. I would much prefer a return to the Utah Stars nickname, because there is a history behind the team as well.

The Stars would be cool.

http://www.homerweb.com/vintage/Utah-Stars-1971-ABA-Champions1972-73-Schedule_300344326196.html

Breaking news from the Myrtle Beach Pelicans...

INSPIRED BY NEW ORLEANS NAME CHANGE, MiLB'S PELICANS CONSIDER RE-BRANDING: http://myrtlebeach.p...t=.jsp&sid=t521

Not sure if this is serious or just the most sarcastic, satirical press release ever written but I think it's hilarious. Although I would be sad to see a beautiful identity lost out of spite.

No worries, just pure snark. We love the Pelicans name and identity and won't change it any time soon. And we're honored an NBA organization likes it as much as we do...just some good-natured ribbing.

The Stars would be cool.

http://www.homerweb.com/vintage/Utah-Stars-1971-ABA-Champions1972-73-Schedule_300344326196.html

Jazz is just fine.

*Ignores irony of folks pimping "Utah Stars" moniker as "organic to Utah" when the team/franchise was the relocated "Los Angeles Stars".*

Today, we are all otaku.

Well... there is THIS.

http://www.slcjazzfestival.org/

Archived