New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

*Ignores irony of folks pimping "Utah Stars" moniker as "organic to Utah" when the team/franchise was the relocated "Los Angeles Stars".*

The Utah Stars did actually win a championship.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

I never got this argument. People act as though Jazz music is only written/performed/recorded in New Orleans. While I understand Jazz music has a special connection to New Orleans, the city doesn't have an exclusive monopoly on everything Jazz related.

A lot of cities have connections with Jazz (KC, St. Louis, New York), but I would not put Salt Lake City on that list.

Well... there is THIS.

http://www.slcjazzfestival.org/

But is jazz music THE thing associated with Salt Lake City? That's the point; you could have a jazz fest all you want, but if there's no NATIONAL reputation, then people will not associate it with the town.

If I asked a random person, "I'm in the mood for a jazz music roadtrip: where should we go," how many of those people will off the top of their head say "Salt Lake City?" Very few. Most commonly you'll hear "New Orleans," thus jazz music is more associated with Louisiana than anywhere else.

The NBA screwed it self up, by making so many teams keep their name upon relocation.

I agree. The "Utah Jazz" has always stuck in my craw. Utah and Jazz just don't go together.

I never got this argument. People act as though Jazz music is only written/performed/recorded in New Orleans. While I understand Jazz music has a special connection to New Orleans, the city doesn't have an exclusive monopoly on everything Jazz related.

A lot of cities have connections with Jazz (KC, St. Louis, New York), but I would not put Salt Lake City on that list.

Well... there is THIS.

http://www.slcjazzfestival.org/

I wasn't saying that Jazz doesn't exist in SLC. I am merely saying that SLC is not what a musician would consider a Jazz Mecca. Do some research on the history of jazz and you will be hard pressed to find a reference to Utah (no offense to Utah, I've been there and it is a lovely place).

The Jazz and White Sox should switch because Chicago has Jazz music and Utahns wear White Sox.

Three people "liked" this post, but I figure with the name swapping talk still going on 14 pages later, I'll quote and repost.

*Ignores irony of folks pimping "Utah Stars" moniker as "organic to Utah" when the team/franchise was the relocated "Los Angeles Stars".*

Good for them. You know who else won an ABA title? The Oakland Oaks. Let's rename the Warriors after them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good for them. You know who else won an ABA title? The Oakland Oaks. Let's rename the Warriors after them.

I don't have an issue with the Warriors, just the Jazz.

I don't have an issue with the Warriors, just the Jazz.

And I have an issue with inconsistency. If Jazz is New Orleans' then Stars has to be Los Angeles', and 1 measly ABA title (balanced out by the ignominy of a midseason fold) doesn't change that.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How is the name "Stars" more organic to Utah then "Jazz"? Like the Jazz the Stars came to SLC from another location, and like the Jazz name the Stars name is one that arguably fits the original location better. I don't see how one is clearly superior to the other when it comes to being "organic" to Utah. If one is ok, then so is the other.

Fact is the Jazz have been in Utah for so long that, whether the name is ideal or not, it works. Not to mention that every notable Jazz team played in Salt Lake City and not New Orleans. I'd argue that even without an NBA Championship the Utah Jazz's legacy is more noteworthy then the Utah Stars' legacy.

Hornets to Pelicans seems like a downgrade to me, but after some research into it, it just might work.

As for the Bobcats look, yeah, it ain't one of the best of the league and their bad years aren't making it any better. Would love to see the "Charlotte Hornets" name ring in the arenas again for retrospective sake. Though we'll see if this all will actually happen.

VHj90kn.png

I wasn't saying that Jazz doesn't exist in SLC. I am merely saying that SLC is not what a musician would consider a Jazz Mecca. Do some research on the history of jazz and you will be hard pressed to find a reference to Utah (no offense to Utah, I've been there and it is a lovely place).

You're right, Utah is not know for jazz, but it is known for THE Jazz.

Like it or not the team name and the state have become an instant and iconic association...and why shouldn't it be? It's been 32 years...32 years...32 years. In your opinion that history of hall-of-famers, long-term success, records set, etc... is not legitimate enough to maintain this very strong and recognizable brand, but the longer a name persists the more it becomes about the team than a musical style.

As with the Knicks or the Lakers; few associate the team names with the Dutch or people from Minnesota, but rather they think of the players and squads that wore the name across their chest. It's one certain inevitability of time and success; even an odd-sounding name will become a fixture.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

And I have an issue with inconsistency. If Jazz is New Orleans' then Stars has to be Los Angeles', and 1 measly ABA title (balanced out by the ignominy of a midseason fold) doesn't change that.

Considering I don't have any "pull" with the Utah Jazz, you can take comfort in the fact that a name change probably isn't in the imminent future.

I guess it's a double-edged sword.

On one side, if a team has a fairly rich history, eg. the Lakers when they moved they had been rather successful in Minneapolis and wanted that to continue with the move.

On the other side, the name has nothing to do with the new locale, and if the previous city gets a team in the future, it creates a fuss.

sig.png

^ Washington Bullets (or Federals if you're feeling somewhat PC)

I was thinking of actually making them the Capitols, which was a charter team in the BAA and were actually coached by Red Auerbach. The relocation from Baltimore would have been 1 year before the NHL expansion, so the NHL Capitals most likely wouldve been named something else.

sig.png

Jazz is a musical style that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in black communities in the southern United States. Jazz's roots came from the city of New Orleans, Louisianaand spread to cities such as Kansas City, Chicago and New York.

There!

What about jazz in the present day? Contemporary interest in jazz music in all of its varieties is no more regional than contemporary interest in country music.

Today, we are all otaku.

Considering I don't have any "pull" with the Utah Jazz, you can take comfort in the fact that a name change probably isn't in the imminent future.

Dan Gilbert, is that you?

Go A's!

NewOrleansRevelersCollection2.jpg

Reveler -n. festive merrymaker who participate in the period of Carnival, the day of Mardi Gras, by partipating in the balls, or other events, including parades en masse. Crowds at a Mardi Gras parade who are more than spectators, they are participants.

Archived