New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

What would the present NO Hornets rebrand to, then? Maybe they can do a swap with Utah and get the Jazz name back, then Utah could swap with Memphis and become the Grizzlies, they could swap with Minnesota to get the Wolves name, and then Minnesota and L.A. could finally swap between Lakers and Wolves.

the stars are finally in alignment...this is a move that is long overdue and is just a natural for all of the teams involved, especially the jazz.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would the present NO Hornets rebrand to, then? Maybe they can do a swap with Utah and get the Jazz name back, then Utah could swap with Memphis and become the Grizzlies, they could swap with Minnesota to get the Wolves name, and then Minnesota and L.A. could finally swap between Lakers and Wolves.

the stars are finally in alignment...this is a move that is long overdue and is just a natural for all of the teams involved, especially the jazz.

Euphie.gif

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

HYD6Q.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

NBA history does not need to be any more convoluted.

The Charlotte Hornets are dead. Calling another team the Hornets isn't going to do a :censored:ing thing for that market, because it won't suddenly put Muggsy Bogues, Glen Rice, Grandmama, and Mourning back on the team. They'll still be a bottom feeder, just a bottom feeder playing dress up of a team that's long since abandoned the market.

This. A million times this. The Bobcats aren't the Hornets, and the Jazz aren't giving their name up to the actual Hornets.

Just say no to name swapping.

BTW I'm still in favour of making "the Bobcats, Jazz, and Hornets should switch names" posts a banable offence.

Normally, the image below would address this nonsense.

Stop-Brand-Swap.png

Now I gotta add in LA, Minnesota and Memphis (and what name do they get?) ?!!

wow, that's so awesome! My Nyquil is working...I was actually able to follow this logic entirely! Love it!

The Charlotte Hornets are dead. Calling another team the Hornets isn't going to do a :censored:ing thing for that market, because it won't suddenly put Muggsy Bogues, Glen Rice, Grandmama, and Mourning back on the team. They'll still be a bottom feeder, just a bottom feeder playing dress up of a team that's long since abandoned the market.

This. A million times this. The Bobcats aren't the Hornets, and the Jazz aren't giving their name up to the actual Hornets.

BTW I'm still in favour of making "the Bobcats, Jazz, and Hornets should switch names" posts a banable offence.

I have no problem with the Bobcats taking the Hornets name after NO has dropped it. It would remove the worst identity in basketball and a terrible color scheme, and replace it with a great color scheme and logo. However, I don't think there should be any name swaps. THAT is taking it way too far.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

tumblr_m97v9gKikH1rdqkdso1_500.gif

6uXNWAo.png

wow, that's so awesome! My Nyquil is working...I was actually able to follow this logic entirely! Love it!

Could you follow it? Can you list what the end state would be? In that example, Minnesota is giving away the Wolves name twice.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

tumblr_m97v9gKikH1rdqkdso1_500.gif

This is the correct response.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I have no problem with the Bobcats taking the Hornets name after NO has dropped it. It would remove the worst identity in basketball and a terrible color scheme, and replace it with a great color scheme and logo. However, I don't think there should be any name swaps. THAT is taking it way too far.

This. Sure, the team is gonna suck for the forseeable future, but it still means swapping out one of the worst NBA identities of all time for one of the best.

That name has been attached to too many cities. Just kill it.

If it happends, the nickname history will look like this:

Charlotte, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, New Orleans (again), and Charlotte (again)?

That does not seem like too much for anyone?

For clarification, they were officially named New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for those two years.

That name has been attached to too many cities. Just kill it.

If it happends, the nickname history will look like this:

Charlotte, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, New Orleans (again), and Charlotte (again)?

That does not seem like too much for anyone?

For clarification, they were officially named New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for those two years.

At least the name is being returned to it's rightful city. However, if New Orleans does ditch the Hornets name, I'll miss this logo:

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

This. Sure, the team is gonna suck for the forseeable future, but it still means swapping out one of the worst NBA identities of all time for one of the best.

See, I don't mind the Bobcats name, or their colour scheme (well their original colour scheme anyway). Their primary logo's never been that great, but I think the two alternates they've used (the two "cat and basketball" logos) have worked.

At the end of the day they aren't the Hornets. The Hornets, the '88 expansion team, are in New Orleans. That won't change even if the Hornets change their name. It's still that team. The Bobcats, well they're the Bobcats. Giving them the Hornets name and pretending they're the same team as the Hornets teams of the past is just dishonest. And needlessly complicated.

Nice thought.

But I don't see the NO hornets giving up the throwback merchandise potential.

I wondered about that too. WIth the news of the potential return of the Supersonics to Seattle their gear is selling like hotcakes here. How horrible it would be if those sales royalties were going to OKC.

Something like this needs to happen in the NFL with Arizona, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Baltimore and the new Los Angeles franchise. Cardinals to STL. Rams to LA. Colts to Baltimore. Indy and Arizona get new identities. I'd be OK with Indy and Baltimore staying the way it is since Baltimore has a good identity.

Something like this needs to happen in the NFL with Arizona, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Baltimore and the new Los Angeles franchise. Cardinals to STL. Rams to LA. Colts to Baltimore. Indy and Arizona get new identities.

Sure thing dad :rolleyes:

Archived