New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

Corrected.

An pro sports NBA team that uses red, white, and navy. Novel.

• Love the "New Orleans" Wordmark on the primary; this will undoubtedly be the major emblem on the home AND away jersey. One indicator is that there is nothing in the logo package showing any similar treatment of the word "Pelicans".
I know that this isn't part of the logo package, but here's the "Pelicans" text in the same font as the logo:

012313_BSpot_Pelicans.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering how much the Hornicans tried to shoehorn stereotypical "New Orleans" into this identity package, I am honestly shocked they didn't opt for Mardi Gras colors. Was that a cliche to far, even for Benson?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I Mardi Gras'd it cause of Mardi Gras.

PSr4mWV.png

Why the color scheme????

New Orleans City flag

I think they didn't go that way since they didn't want to keep the whole Jazz thing going. Actually, seeing the video of the dark, muddy birds flying around, and given that Benson owns the Saints too, I'm surprised that they didn't do a Seahawks/Sounders thing and use the Saints black/gold scheme. That would have been closer to the actual colors of the bird in nature.

I Mardi Gras'd it cause of Mardi Gras.

PSr4mWV.png

Why the color scheme????

New Orleans City flag

I think they didn't go that way since they didn't want to keep the whole Jazz thing going. Actually, seeing the video of the dark, muddy birds flying around, and given that Benson owns the Saints too, I'm surprised that they didn't do a Seahawks/Sounders thing and use the Saints black/gold scheme. That would have been closer to the actual colors of the bird in nature.

Going black and gold was mentioned by some people. But a lot of people (myself included) felt that the franchise needs a unique identity. Plus, using the same color scheme would have been a hindrance to merchandise sales.

gYH2mW9.png

OK - so here's something to look forward to...

The Hornets and the Brooklyn Nets play two upcoming games - Feb. 26 in N.O., and March 12 in Brooklyn - the only two games between the New Orleans Hornets and the Brooklyn Nets.

Save pics from the game, and then in 5 years or so, post them on the board and amaze your friends that they actually played each other.

I always wanted to be Colorwerx!

012513_landing_tab_colors_info.png

"Represents the Championships we intend to win."

What a bunch of crap. I can't stand the 'reasonings' behind these things.

Fitting that it's the third reason in the secondary color.

LOL, clients always want some justification for design choices. i guess "we chose blue because it is the color of the state flag and we added red and gold which completes a triad harmony made of the 3 primary colors, yellow being adjusted to gold for a more mature and professional feeling" wasn't quite good enough. i always believe in making design choices based on some sound reasoning; nothing should be done "just because". but sometimes "because it is appropriate" is good enough

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Introducing the New Orleans Pelicans.....Really? That is the worst possible name they could have come up with. Nothing screams terror like a pelican [sarcasm]. I am just proud that I am not the only one who agrees that this is bad.

Lemme ask you this, so any of the following names strike terror in you?

Lakers, clippers, celtics, kings, thunder, spurs, magic, mavericks, suns, Knicks, nets(maybe or sea creatures), jazz(fear inducing saxophones maybe?) supersonics, trailblazers, heat..?

Maybe I'm just all man and have no fear, or maybe people are overreacting.

Archived