New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Introducing the New Orleans Pelicans.....Really? That is the worst possible name they could have come up with. Nothing screams terror like a pelican [sarcasm]. I am just proud that I am not the only one who agrees that this is bad.

Lemme ask you this, so any of the following names strike terror in you?

Lakers, clippers, celtics, kings, thunder, spurs, magic, mavericks, suns, Knicks, nets(maybe or sea creatures), jazz(fear inducing saxophones maybe?) supersonics, trailblazers, heat..?

Maybe I'm just all man and have no fear, or maybe people are overreacting.

LOL. those names are not exactly terrifying but most do come with a sense of local pride. the ones that don't have built a brand so strong there would be riots in the streets if they changed it. it's hard to get behind the Pelicans name, i dont think i'll ever like it, but it will grow on the majority of their fanbase over time.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like it. It's nowhere close to perfect, but I like it. My main complaint is that the logo looks way too much like it's for a small D1 college or minor league baseball team. Just the way that it's designed looks like it would fit in much better on a smaller stage than in the NBA. I also wish that they would have went with a more fun, cartoony logo since they went with a name like Pelicans. I don't see how a pelican dribbling a basketball doesn't look cool. Someone else said this and was dead on, but it's very strange that you can't see the bottom of its beak in the logo. You'd think that they'd include the animal's most distinguishing feature in the logo. Regarding the bird-de-lis, it doesn't look bad, but it looks extremely forced. Just because the hornet worked perfectly doesn't mean you have to force the pelican into the same shape. I won't go too much farther in it because I think it's important to see how it looks in the context of the entire branding with the uniforms and court.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'd have had a big loopy script like the old Pittsburgh Penguins script with a pelican holding a basketball in its beak. I wanted whimsy, not this same-old.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Introducing the New Orleans Pelicans.....Really? That is the worst possible name they could have come up with. Nothing screams terror like a pelican [sarcasm]. I am just proud that I am not the only one who agrees that this is bad.

Because Cardinals, Packers, Knicks, Pacers, Twins, Orioles, Lakers, Clippers, Rockies, Browns, Jazz, Cubs, White Sox all instill terror....

Right. Team names don't have to be fierce. However, particularly with a non-fierce name, you don't need to use FIERCE ANIMAL HEAD as the logo. They could have made a logo that had a non-enraged pelican.

So you would have preferred a "cute, smiley, Orioles-esque" pelican? I feel like you would have argued either way...

Well, if you had read what I posted previously in the thread, you would know that I favored a campy, anthropomorphic pelican. However, as I was saying, there is a happy median between that and the angry, aggressive pelican. If the Detroit football team can make a lion logo without having it look fierce, they could have found a way to make a pelican that wasn't over-the-top silly with its aggressiveness. And the biggest whiff is them not incorporating the pelican's single most identifying aspect, its large bottom beak. Like is said, it's like making a tiger logo without stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The name "Pelicans" is just dying for a cartoon bird with a big-ass bill spinning a basketball on its feather. If you don't want to look goofy, don't name yourself after this thing:

white-pelican-2.jpg

Jesus, NBA, it's not that difficult.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'd have had a big loopy script like the old Pittsburgh Penguins script with a pelican holding a basketball in its beak.

This is kind of what I had in mind, but more refined, of course:

8gmqVji.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If I had the opportunity to change it, I would: 1) kill the bird-de-lis logo or at least make it a full bird body with wings, similar to concepts seen on this board 2) Make the pelican look less skeleton like and 3) Fix the "S" in New Orleans. It has the same problem arched as the Nets' "S."

I like it. Pretty cool set.

new-orleans-pelicans-alternate-logos.jpg

(dance):notworthy: YES!! LOVE THIS

I like the set a lot. I hate the color scheme. Don't know how they can go from a unique, straight up Mardi Gras pallet to another generic R/W/B/G pallet.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The problem with the Bird-de-lis is that they basically took a fleur-de-lis and tried to cram a pelican into it. The beauty of the fleur-de-bee was that it looked like they designed the hornet in such a way to resemble a fleur-de-lee.

Like, what's going on with the "wings"? Whats that little flair around the tip of the beak? What's the horizontal line across the basketball? I understand that it is done to complete the shape of the fleur-de-lis, but it just looks like they took the easy way out on it and it shows.

And my biggest gripe is there was no need to do that because from my understanding a fluer-de-lis isn't an EXACT shape, like a square. There are many different interpretations of the shape, so they could have designed it a little better.

It just seems the bee appeared more naturally in the shape the way it was designed while the dird seems more squeezed in there. HAVING SAID all of that I still think its a nice logo and I love the overall package.

6144_new_orleans_pelicans-secondary-2014.jpg

zqwgafkcdfamqumx0x5j3ddre.gif

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Lakers, clippers, celtics, kings, thunder, spurs, magic, mavericks, suns, Knicks, nets(maybe or sea creatures), jazz(fear inducing saxophones maybe?) supersonics, trailblazers, heat..?

LOL. those names are not exactly terrifying but most do come with a sense of local pride. the ones that don't have built a brand so strong there would be riots in the streets if they changed it. it's hard to get behind the Pelicans name, i dont think i'll ever like it, but it will grow on the majority of their fanbase over time.

I don't think the people in New Orleans will find it hard to get behind. My understanding is that the bird has real local significance, and therefore has that sense of local pride.

So it's every bit as good as Celtics, Spurs, Mavericks, Suns, Knicks and the like.

It's basketball, not football.

I really don't think the names HAVE to be terrifying.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

It's basketball, not football.

I really don't think the names HAVE to be terrifying.

Exactly. That's such a lame argument.... and even in football, there's teams like the Cardinals. Have you seen a cardinal in your backyard or anywhere? A Pelican would eat one of those things in one gulp.

90758391980.gif

Archived