New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the blue is medium, between navy and royal. America had always used royal blue for athletic colors until maybe 1992.

I know the basketball team used navy in 1984.

USA Basketball has used this color for years and years:

PLS_539_C_SRGB.png

The World Baseball Classic U.S. team uses this:

PLS_2767_C_SRGB.png

How about US Soccer and USA Hockey? I assume they've standarized their colors, though the red on US soccers 2011 jerseys seems a darker red (like Stanford's cardinal) compared to the red of their current hoops jerseys (more like Nebraska's crimson).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

from Armin at BrandNew: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/rise_of_the_pelicans.php

When it was first announced that “Pelicans” would be the name I thought it was a rather silly choice. Not because it didn’t make sense — see the first quote and watch the un-embed-able movie at the top here to see why it makes so much sense culturally — but because I didn’t consider a pelican to be a rather intimidating animal like other NBA teams a la Bulls, Grizzlies, or even Hornets. Plus, they are rather goofy-looking animals. And perhaps because of those preconceptions the Pelicans had to go with an extremely pissed off pelican, which looks remarkably good. By avoiding a profile shot of the pelican they were able to get past that awkward beak shape and by using a front-view they could also place focus on the wings, which are always a good visual device to work with. The drawing of the main pelican is impeccable: minimal details, bold shapes, and Gestalten-ish. The typography is a nice respite from the pointy serifs of sports logos and is well executed too, although the “N” and “S” look a little wobbly there at the edges.

The alternate logos are quite smart too, incorporating a crescent in the circular logo and the fleur-de-lis in the either geniously- or stupidly-named “Bird-de-Lis” which is also both the most awesome thing I’ve seen this year as well as the most comical. There is something so appealing and repelling about it at the same time.

Overall, a surprisingly different logo within the realm of NBA logos that is city appropriate and looks and feels competitive.

thats why Armin is the logo boss, he's spot on. love that guy

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't know who he is, but he is wrong. The awkward beak shape IS the pelican. It's all people know about pelicans. The wings are completely meaningless. Hawks have wings. Seahawks (osprey) have wings. Cardinals, falcons, ravens and eagles all have wings. Wings do nothing to convey a pelican. This logo could just as easily represent a kiwi or an albatross, which might have been a better name choice given the team's viability. Going with an extremely pissed-off pelican was dumb and all-around weak design. That doesn't even touch on the giant navy stroke between the beak and head that makes it look like a possessed skull.

Most importantly, the bird-de-lis is the biggest piece of crap ever. It is the laziest cop-out logo. "Uh, we gotta have fleur-de-lis logo. I don't feel like actually designing anything else, so just throw the bird head on top of clipart and call it a day." Giving that logo praise negates anything else he says.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know who he is, but he is wrong. The awkward beak shape IS the pelican. It's all people know about pelicans. The wings are completely meaningless. Hawks have wings. Seahawks (osprey) have wings. Cardinals, falcons, ravens and eagles all have wings. Wings do nothing to convey a pelican. This logo could just as easily represent a kiwi or an albatross, which might have been a better name choice given the team's viability. Going with an extremely pissed-off pelican was dumb and all-around weak design. That doesn't even touch on the giant navy stroke between the beak and head that makes it look like a possessed skull.

Most importantly, the bird-de-lis is the biggest piece of crap ever. It is the laziest cop-out logo. "Uh, we gotta have fleur-de-lis logo. I don't feel like actually designing anything else, so just throw the bird head on top of clipart and call it a day." Giving that logo praise negates anything else he says.

well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? i mean i agree, the Pelicans beak is its most distinguished characteristic and its good to feature something like that if it's the Thrashers (tail) or an American Eagle (head) but its not the only way to do it and i'm with Armin completely, that bird if goofy as hell. i think the direction they went with it is fine and Barnes did a great job of executing it.

either way is neither right or wrong, to say "they have to use the side profile" or "they should never use the side profile" is ridiculous. Tin Bacic's design was beautifully done, featuring the side profile. but what they have now is the only thing that matters and i think it is appropriate and well done given the nature of the project.

edit - i typed that fast, im afraid it might sound contradictory. my point is i agree with Armin's point because that is my preference as well. but i would never say an idea has to be used or you have to do something in a logo for it to be good. thats how you arrive at stale and unoriginal ideas.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's an opinion. Conveying an opinion doesn't carry weight of "right" or "wrong"....

...and again, saying the logo is lazy and "a clip art" thrown on top of something, conveys that you don't realize the design process put into logos designed at this level...

...and again, saying the logo is lazy and "a clip art" thrown on top of something, conveys that you don't realize the design process put into logos designed at this level...

I am not a designer, no. I know they made efforts to turn a pelican's wings into the fleur-de-lis. However, they couldn't do it, and what they came up with didn't work. I don't have to know how to design to know that the bird-de-lis is a lazy piece of crap, just sticking the alread-designed bird head on top of a fleur-de-lis shape. They took the idea of a great logo (fleur-de-bee), tried to port it over, couldn't make it work, so they said "close enough" and called it a day.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Introducing the New Orleans Pelicans.....Really? That is the worst possible name they could have come up with. Nothing screams terror like a pelican [sarcasm]. I am just proud that I am not the only one who agrees that this is bad.

I want to admit that I was completely wrong to say that this is a bad name for the team. After conducting research on why the name was chosen and reviewing the logos everyday since they were introduced, I will take my foot out of my mouth and admit that this is a great name and the logo is amazing along with the color scheme. I can't wait to see what Anthony Davis looks like in the new uniform. BTW, does anyone know when they are releasing the uniform?

spacer.png

I've been pretty hesitant to accept the name. But I love it now. As a native of the New Orleans area, I think it's a very good choice ahd very suitable. As for the "Bird-de-lis" - maybe they could have done better. But I've seen several logo concepts on here and other places that just never seem to quite work well enough. I didn't care for the logo at first. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. And quite honestly, they needed a fleur-de-lis logo because the public down here wants it.

gYH2mW9.png

I hate how people keep using "it's the state bird" as to why it's good. If there was a team called the Seattle Goldfinch, I'd hate that.

Yeah, well thankfully Seatlle has better imagery to draw from than some bird whose common name sounds like a throwaway character from the American Pie films.

Anyway, I'm still catching up on all this new branding stuff, but I will say I love, love, LOVE the entire package. So far from what I've seen, the two biggest points of contention have been the choice of team colors and the seeming overemphasis on locale rather than nickname. To the latter, i say this: I love it when things go against the grain of popular thinking, and this fits that bill. I'm willing to bet that Benson and Co. WANTED the emphasis on "New Orleans", and if so, the new primary--hell, the whole package--plays that up superbly. It wouldn't surprise me if they pulled a Knicks and went with a "New Orleans" chest script on both home and away. (In saying that, though, I sincerely hope that they don't plan on a "NOLA" chest script alternate--I cannot tell you just how much NOLA annoys me, and I know for a fact it annoys several locals down there, about as much as people pronouncing the place as "N'awlins"--no one from down there ever says that, it's just an outsider bastardization of the pronunciation. Anyway, back on topic... :P ) As for the colors, sure, navy and red have been done to death, but it appears to me this organization is honing in on navy and gold as the primary color pairing (makes sense, since navy is close enough to black and black and gold are the Saints' team colors), with red mixed in as tertiary trim--at least I hope that's their plan--I've seen logo slicks with both navy and gold backgrounds, none with red, so that's the basis of my hypothesis. My personal wish with the uniforms is that they go with single-layer gold chest scripts and numbers on the roadies and single-layer navy on the homes, to play off the single-color 'NEW ORLEANS" script in the primary logo. I think it'd look much cleaner and "timeless" that way. And, it'd at least lend itself a more unique application of an otherwise overused color set--that, I must say, still seems in my mind to work very well for this new identity.

Oh and Ben, if you're reading this somewhere...AWESOME final product, dude.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I am sorry the more I look at this logo and identity the more I think it is hot garbage. The primary logo is okay but besides the pelican (a comical looking animal) there is really nothing special about it. The secodary logo is pure trash that has a pelican awkardly placed on a fleur de lis so it looks like it is wearing a dunce cap. The colors contain navy and red (two of the most overused colors in sports). The only redeaming quality is the word mark.

The worst offense of this change is that it is doing away with one of the most unique and awesome identities in all of sports in the New Orleans Hornets. The colors stood out, the word mark was nice, and while the logo was nothing special, the secondary was good.

Now I am not someone who hates everything new. I prefer the Brooklyn Nets new identity over their previous New Jersey ones and think they did a good job overall.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I love the rebrand with a couple very small complaints that in the end, I guess I can overlook.

- I don't love the color palette. I understand it's the flag colors but it doesn't instantly read as NOLA to me.

- I could live without this rendition of the bird-de-lis. But that may be because the fleur-de-bee was amazing in my opinion.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

I like it, and I'm going to buy some merchandise. I'll stick with being a Hornets Pelicans fan.

Nah, you can just stick to being a horny cans fan..how 'bout that?? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I like it, and I'm going to buy some merchandise. I'll stick with being a Hornets Pelicans fan.

Nah, you can just stick to being a horny cans fan..how 'bout that?? :P

Yes, yes, let Hornican enter the fan vernacular.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived