Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

confirmed Pels uni wordmarks:

nola-wordmarks_zps9379148e.png

Meh...

Seconded.

really? i think thats the best part of the whole identity and it's going right across the chest of the jersey. what would you guys rather see, the primary logo on the front? (cause i'd be down for that too)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Aside from my total and utter dislike for all the logos, I have no strong emotions about the font/presentation of the chest wordmarks. However, I dislike them using "New Orleans" on both home and road. Really? We were told that it was okay for Brooklyn because the city that isn't is such an iconic force in fashion and pop culture, and that may be true, but I don't think many non-basketball fans are going to buy a Pelicans jersey just because it reads New Orleans.

So, the idea behind the Pelicans name was that it was unique and fun. You would have expected the team to come up with a schmaltzy, fun logo, and instead they came up with a run-of-the-mill fierce animal that didn't show the bird's largest identifying feature. And on top of that, they don't even use the damn team name on the uniforms. Like I said, I can see that in some cases, because Nets are largely meaningless inanimate objects, and what the hell is a Knick, anyway? (yes, Knickerbockers). However, when you have a name like Pelicans which inherently brings so much potential for such a unique, iconic brand, it's a huge dissapointment to see angry non-descript bird logo and New Orleans on the jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Aside from my total and utter dislike for all the logos, I have no strong emotions about the font/presentation of the chest wordmarks. However, I dislike them using "New Orleans" on both home and road. Really? We were told that it was okay for Brooklyn because the city that isn't is such an iconic force in fashion and pop culture, and that may be true, but I don't think many non-basketball fans are going to buy a Pelicans jersey just because it reads New Orleans.

I fail to see why this bothers you. They've done this with the current identity and have since the Hornets first relocated here in 2002.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

i'd just like the NEW ORLEANS straight-up lifted from the primary logo. the arched treatment is begging to be "retro" when it doesn't need to be, imo.

I'm with you on that. But, I am curious to see what the jersey look like. I'm going of hoping there are pinstripes involved.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

i'd just like the NEW ORLEANS straight-up lifted from the primary logo.

Same here—I was hoping for radially arched chest scripts. I was also hoping for single-layer, too. As is, though...doesn't look too bad to me.

That they both read "New Orleans" is a non-issue to me...it was pretty apparent to me that from the beginning they wanted to highlight the location well over the nickname. It'll take some people's brains a good while or so to adjust to that approach, but eventually it'll happen.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Same here—I was hoping for radially arched chest scripts. Ias also hoping for single-layer, too. As is, though...doesn't look too bad to me.

That they both read "New Orleans" is a non-issue to me...it was pretty apparent to me that from the beginning they wanted to highlight the location well over the nickname. It'll take some people's brains a good while or so to adjust to that approach, but eventually it'll happen.

It's not about "adjusting" to the approach. I think it's a bad practice in general, and especially when the team has such a unique name that lends itself to a strong visual identity. To me, there's nothing "pelicany" about their look. That's okay for the Nets because there is nothing interesting about a net anyway, but I think the Pelicans are leaving a lot on the table with their current identity.

Also, I realize the Hornets always had the city on the chest, but they also had a great, unique and bright color scheme and a great logo. I don't consider the Pelicans to have either.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I fail to see why this bothers you. They've done this with the current identity and have since the Hornets first relocated here in 2002.

Except for their brief stay in OKC, when they actually got it right for the only time in their existence:

desmond_kerry.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Same here—I was hoping for radially arched chest scripts. Ias also hoping for single-layer, too. As is, though...doesn't look too bad to me.

It's not about "adjusting" to the approach. I think it's a bad practice in general, and especially when the team has such a unique name that lends itself to a strong visual identity. To me, there's nothing "pelicany" about their look. That's okay for the Nets because there is nothing interesting about a net anyway, but I think the Pelicans are leaving a lot on the table with their current identity.

Also, I realize the Hornets always had the city on the chest, but they also had a great, unique and bright color scheme and a great logo. I don't consider the Pelicans to have either.

Again, I really don't think (and this is just my opinion) Benson and Co. really wanted to play up the "Pelicans" part so much as he did the "New Orleans" part. That ain't a common approach to take, but I think every now and then it's a good thing to go against the grain of popular thinking, if for no better reason than to remind people that not everything has to be done the same way every time.

Just my own two pennies, of course.

Edit: also, what Goth said.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Except for their brief stay in OKC, when they actually got it right for the only time in their existence:

desmond_kerry.jpg

Agreed. The first New Orleans Hornets set had a unique color scheme that didn't depart entirely from the Hornets' Teal/Purple while at the same time fit New Orleans. Teal/Yellow/Purple can be seen as a plausible variation of the Mardi Gras colors, and many design elements (i.e. the side/pants stripes) draw their inspiration from the New Orleans Jazz while going in an overall different route.

Possible unpopular opinion?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Again, I really don't think (and this is just my opinion) Benson and Co. really wanted to play up the "Pelicans" part so much as he did the "New Orleans" part. That ain't a common approach to take, but I think every now and then it's a good thing to go against the grain of popular thinking, if for no better reason than to remind people that not everything has to be done the same way every time.

Just my own two pennies, of course.

Edit: also, what Goth said.

yea the jersey word mark shouldnt be a surprise. it was clear what they wanted to represent with the release of the logos. i think it's a bit odd yea, but it dosent bother me much. actually, as much as i dislike the Pelicans name i think i prefer the N.O. emphasis.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I think there is a rare group of cities that have enough draw on their own to justify the city name on both jerseys. New Orleans certainly qualifies.

I don't know if I'd agree that New Orleans is that strong. Regardless, in doing so they are wasting a name with a lot of potential.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived