New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

They chose "Pelicans" because it has a clear association with New Orleans (the fact that Benson owned the name may have factored in as well). Before they played up New Orleans while downplaying the name which had no connection to the city. The fact that they changed to a name that did shows how much they do want to play up the city more than anything, so yes, it should've been expected. And makes sense.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is a rare group of cities that have enough draw on their own to justify the city name on both jerseys. New Orleans certainly qualifies.

I don't know if I'd agree that New Orleans is that strong. Regardless, in doing so they are wasting a name with a lot of potential.

I agree that "Pelicans" is a great name that deserves showcasing.

That having been said, I think everyone in the country has a very strong image of New Orleans in their minds, and it's a pretty attractive one. Mention the city to just about anybody, and once you get past Katrina memories the conversation will turn to swinging jazz, architecture, parade floats and flying beads.

I'd wager New Orleans is probably in the top five or six American cities in terms of national consciousness. Certainly more so than any other Southern city save possibly Miami.

I think there is a rare group of cities that have enough draw on their own to justify the city name on both jerseys. New Orleans certainly qualifies.

I don't know if I'd agree that New Orleans is that strong. Regardless, in doing so they are wasting a name with a lot of potential.

I agree that "Pelicans" is a great name that deserves showcasing.

That having been said, I think everyone in the country has a very strong image of New Orleans in their minds, and it's a pretty attractive one. Mention the city to just about anybody, and once you get past Katrina memories the conversation will turn to swinging jazz, architecture, parade floats and flying beads.

I'd wager New Orleans is probably in the top five or six American cities in terms of national consciousness. Certainly more so than any other Southern city save possibly Miami.

yep. culture is brand, and New Orleans is a very special part of the country. that's why they've gone this direction.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Frankly, I wish the Nets had changed their nickname.

They're not completely de-emphasizing the nickname; but maybe they just didn't like the Hornets nickname anyway? No particular reason to keep it, especially when there's a great local name just sitting around unused.

• 4 months later...

Court design has been released. Feels a bit unimaginative, but I'm glad it doesn't have red all over.

court_small.jpg

Put some damn lines in the key and this will look MUCH better.

They put that little mutant fluer-de-bird on it... thumbs down for me...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Teams that have circle elements in their logo but don't size/place them to fit exactly within the center jump circle baffle me. Why isn't the red circle exactly used as the jump circle? Yeah the whole logo might be a tiny bit high from center but it would look way better in my opinion. If it works for the Heat any team can do it.

Lakers do it perfectly. Sixers and Nets are needlessly too big. Knicks basketball is too small. List goes on.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Court design has been released. Feels a bit unimaginative, but I'm glad it doesn't have red all over.

court_small.jpg

Those lines are unnecessary in today's NBA.

And I think every new court unveiled in the past year or so hasn't had them. I'm guessing that will be the case for all new designs unless they regularly have college games on it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yay for little to no red.

Well they have stated from the beginning that red is a tertiary color. Looks like they're standing by that statement. It's fine for a basketball court. No complaints here. I like that they included the "Crescent City Basketball" logo also.

gYH2mW9.png

court_small.jpg

And I think every new court unveiled in the past year or so hasn't had them. I'm guessing that will be the case for all new designs unless they regularly have college games on it.

Two exceptions...the Spurs' and Suns' new courts for 2012/13 had the collegiate lines in the paint.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

court_small.jpg

Two exceptions...the Spurs' and Suns' new courts for 2012/13 had the collegiate lines in the paint.

Unnecessary, sure. Necessary visually, yes. Without the lines in the key the court looks unfinished.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Does the arena have a name or are they stuck with Copperplate Fieldhouse?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived