New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Court design has been released. Feels a bit unimaginative, but I'm glad it doesn't have red all over.

court_small.jpg

Everytime I look at the Pelicans' logo, I can't help but see the afro on the bird. I know I can't be the only one.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

I think red should have been a part of the court especially since blue is only a team color because the NBA wouldn't let them use black. Now its just another blue team in the NBA out of a billion.

Outside of that, love the court. Only complaint is the gold in the paint is fighting the tan in the rest of the court.

I think red should have been a part of the court especially since blue is only a team color because the NBA wouldn't let them use black.

Pelicans shouldn't have budged on having black as a primary colour. If Jay Z can convince the league to allow Nets to have black then im sure Pelicans could have done it too.

Black & Gold colour scheme would have been one of the best in the NBA.

I think red should have been a part of the court especially since blue is only a team color because the NBA wouldn't let them use black.

Pelicans shouldn't have budged on having black as a primary colour. If Jay Z can convince the league to allow Nets to have black then im sure Pelicans could have done it too.

Black & Gold colour scheme would have been one of the best in the NBA.

The Pelicans don't have to mimic the Saints. They should have their own identity.

^^^

Nothing wrong with mimicking the Saints, especially when you are trying to build up more local connections with the city (name and colour changes). Plus it's a unique colour scheme.

I think red should have been a part of the court especially since blue is only a team color because the NBA wouldn't let them use black. Now its just another blue team in the NBA out of a billion.

Where did you get that from? Benson's wife chose the blue, red & gold colourscheme - it was fairly common knowledge even before the rebrand was announced.

Where did you get that from? Benson's wife chose the blue, red & gold colourscheme - it was fairly common knowledge even before the rebrand was announced.

It's the colors of the flag.

^^^

Nothing wrong with mimicking the Saints, especially when you are trying to build up more local connections with the city (name and colour changes). Plus it's a unique colour scheme.

As a local and fan of both, I'm INCREDIBLY PLEASED that they didn't go with black and gold. And, honestly, I don't think Benson ever would have gone with black and gold. It would have eaten into new merchandise sales with people just wearing Saints gear to the Pelicans games.

I believe Mrs. Benson wanted red and gold. The blue was added in later from what I can remember.

gYH2mW9.png

^^^

As a local and fan of both, I'm INCREDIBLY PLEASED that they didn't go with black and gold. And, honestly, I don't think Benson ever would have gone with black and gold. It would have eaten into new merchandise sales with people just wearing Saints gear to the Pelicans games.

I believe Mrs. Benson wanted red and gold. The blue was added in later from what I can remember.

I actually agree with that because I am having a hard time figuring out ways they could have differentiated themselves from the Lebron Era Cavs if they would have gone with red & gold.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The name "Pelicans" still hasn't grown on me. I think it's a clumsy name -- too long and an odd animal to have as a sports mascot. A one syllable nickname that doesn't end in 's' (ie, Krewe) would have worked much better with "New Orleans" being a long name and ending in 's'. Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.

The name "Pelicans" still hasn't grown on me. I think it's a clumsy name -- too long and an odd animal to have as a sports mascot. A one syllable nickname that doesn't end in 's' (ie, Krewe) would have worked much better with "New Orleans" being a long name and ending in 's'. Anyway, just had to get that off my chest.

Krewe sounds like an Arena Football name. Pelicans is so much better.

gYH2mW9.png

I don't have a specific link or source but I seem to remember that right as the name Pelicans was beginning to be leaked out she said they wanted to do Black, Red, Yellow but the league wouldn't let them use Black because of something to do with the way it shows up on tv which totally baffles me given the NETS and soon to be SUNS.

The original Pelicans baseball team was B,R,Y so it would have made sense, especially since the Hawks have vacated those colors. This just looks like the CAVS' alternate uni's from the lebron era.

So will they go with gold as their home color and have an alt white like the Lakers?

Really? I thought we've all made it clear that the Lakers are the only team allowed to have a non-white home jersey.

Pelicans will have a white home jersey.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

So will they go with gold as their home color and have an alt white like the Lakers?

Really? I thought we've all made it clear that the Lakers are the only team allowed to have a non-white home jersey.

Pelicans will have a white home jersey.

God, I hope so.

gYH2mW9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone (ColorWrex?) enlighten me on this one? I have a problem with the official Red.

The Pelicans have two different Reproduction Guideline Sheet files uploaded.

The older one (with the word "confidential") shows a 225/58/62 RGB. The newer one (without the word "confidential") shows 227/24/55. Both of them also show Pantone 186.

When analysed side to side, they seem to be three different shades of red. What's going on? Am I doing something wrong?

bk64j.jpg

2rgmmoy.jpg

2d2832c.jpg

Can anyone (ColorWrex?) enlighten me on this one? I have a problem with the official Red.

The Pelicans have two different Reproduction Guideline Sheet files uploaded.

The older one (with the word "confidential") shows a 225/58/62 RGB. The newer one (without the word "confidential") shows 227/24/55. Both of them also show Pantone 186.

When analysed side to side, they seem to be three different shades of red. What's going on? Am I doing something wrong?

The designers are more than likely using Illustrator to determine RGB values, and possibly between different versions of swatch libraries.

I store these "custom" RGB and CMYK values that the teams and leagues provide, but to be honest - I don't put too much stock into them.

Whenever I refer to "official" colors using Pantone colors, all RGB and CMYK values that I use as standard come from Pantone's own specs. For the latest measurements for PANTONE 186 C, you'd use this:

PLS_186_C_SRGB.png

These are the most accurate to matching current Pantone standards; anything else would be potentially outdated.

Archived