New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My overall first impression-- understated, and a little underwhelming.

• Biggest thing is size of the "New Orleans" wordmark. Freaking tiny. It's as if the designers were using a basic square for each letter's dimensions rather than a vertical rectangle (as it was with both variations of the New Orleans Hornets). That may work on "MIAMI" or "UTAH" or even "BOSTON", but for a name the length of "NEW ORLEANS" to fit, you wind up with tiny lettering. Major drawback. If they would've used the same font, but elongated, it would've been nice. Hell, the "New Orleans" in the main logo is more elongated than that uniform wordmark, and it's the same font. Copy the "New Orleans" from the logo onto the jersey and it's 100% better.
  • Bad move outlining blue numerals (and "New Orleans") with gold on the home whites. Gold gets "lost" in the white, thus everyone's comments on why the number sizes look dissimilar. Gold numbers and letters outlined in blue on the home whites would've worked better.
  • Conversely, the gold outline on white numerals (and "New Orleans") on the blue aways looks SHARP.
  • For some reason, I really like the gold collar on either set. It's wide enough so that it doesn't get lost on the white home, and contrasts nicely with the blue.
  • No belt stripe, no arm-hole/shoulder stripe, no bottom of the shorts stripe, just a side panel. Sort of boring and basic.
  • Anybody get a look a the logo on the belt area front? Looks like a very basic line drawing of a basketball with an "N" overlaid, I guess forming an "N" and "O" for New Orleans. Haven't seen that logo yet.

It is what it is.

They need to make the wordmark somehow smaller.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The gold piping is the only redeeming aspect; the top end of it is awkward and distracting though. No arm trim looks bad, although it's better than the half arm trim I guess.

It's like they set out to make these as boring as they could. Reminds me of the Astros makeover. I'm getting drowsy just looking at them.

3 things:

1) The wordmark is arced (not arched) in a way no other is in their entire identity and it looks bad, also because it is so SMALLLL!!!!! WHY IS IT SO SMALLL!!!!! The size makes it look rec-league. They definitely should have used the bolder, larger wordmark from the primary logo. This makes them look like summer league unis.

2) The collar has a one-color trim, while the armholes do not. This generally only works in certain circumstances: See Clippers, Magic, Kings, Pacers. They pulled it off. This is because their collar is multi-colored and tapered, and/or have a neckline logo at the bottom of the collar.

3) THE NUMBERS ARE HUGE

NEW ORLEANS

There's next to no red...they need more red. I mean they're not terrible but they don't stand out at all.

And adding more red will do that, when red and blue are already very common, in not just the nba, but every american sport, compared to blue and vegas gold that isnt used anywhere in the nba

Archived