New Orleans Hornets Will Rebrand as Pelicans in Time for 2013-2014 NBA Season

Island_Style

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utah Jazz is fine. I'm sure 99% of NBA fans are more familiar with the Utah Jazz than the New Orleans Jazz. Stockton and Malone played for the Utah Jazz. The Utah Jazz have history, the New Orleans Jazz don't.

New Orleans Pelicans. Embrace it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

My first thought was Pelicans was a bit, eh... but like a few posters above have said... I dislike is less and less every time I hear it. I just hope they have some sort of unique color scheme. I saw the wife of the owner is in favor of navy, red, and gold. The last thing we need is another navy and red team. I like the idea of them adding gold, like a New Orleans Saints gold, not the marigold yellow they have now. I think gold and light blue would be a nice combo for them. It would be unique color pallet, can have multiple solid colored jerseys, etc.

Hoping for something like the old Nashville Pred's color scheme. That would work considering what color Pelicans truly are.

Possible SuperFan Zones behind the basket:

• "The Throat Pouch"
  • "The Anchovies" (primary diet of Brown Pelican, native to LA)
  • "Big Gulpers"

Etc.

edit: to further elaborate on what a crapass color scheme RWB (and the alleged gold) is that the Brown Pelican is actually sort of pleasant to look at. A sea-blue, some sort of faded yellow and a stately brown/grey/sand would be fantastic and unique.

But this is the NBA we're talking about, so bust out the RWB set with a stupid black alt.

Totally forgot about the brown/sand color. Talk about a color pallet the would be completely unique to a team in the NBA. Something like sand/brown, with light blue, white... and possibly a sea green as strictly an accent color.

They'll go with mardi gras colors. I'd almost be willing to bet on it.

It's already been reported that the color scheme will be red, blue, and gold, kind of like the McDyess-era Nuggets. Sucks, I remember talking about this last year and hoping that they'd go purple and metallic gold or something if they ever rebranded.

As for the name, don't hate it, don't really like it either. Better than Voodoo or Krewe or Brass.

Possible SuperFan Zones behind the basket:

• "The Throat Pouch"
  • "The Anchovies" (primary diet of Brown Pelican, native to LA)
  • "Big Gulpers"

Etc.

edit: to further elaborate on what a crapass color scheme RWB (and the alleged gold) is that the Brown Pelican is actually sort of pleasant to look at. A sea-blue, some sort of faded yellow and a stately brown/grey/sand would be fantastic and unique.

But this is the NBA we're talking about, so bust out the RWB set with a stupid black alt.

Totally forgot about the brown/sand color. Talk about a color pallet the would be completely unique to a team in the NBA. Something like sand/brown, with light blue, white... and possibly a sea green as strictly an accent color.

They'll go with mardi gras colors. I'd almost be willing to bet on it.

I hope so. Purple, kelly green and metallic gold would look great and make them distinctively different than the Jazz. If they do insist on going with the red, navy and gold scheme, I hope they 1) use a medium red like the Bulls. Burgundy or even cardinal look too muddy with navy, and 2) use metallic gold instead of yellow. Red, blue and yellow-gold together look bad.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

sorry to mislead, gentleman, but the logo i posted is from Scott Greci at Guru Design in New Orleans. and like Goth pointed out, it won't be used because it's already out there and they would never pay the guy who made it.

it's some sweet action though. top-shelf work.

I think Pelicans is actually a pretty awesome name. For those of you feeling it's a little too "minor league"... you got used to the Pittsburgh Penguins, didn't you?

The "Pittsburgh Penguins" has alliteration. It's a name that flows off the tongue well. "New Orleans Pelicans" sounds...weird. Much harder to say than Pittsburgh Penguins.

Oh well, it's just the NBA.

Alright, I will go against the crowd and say I don't like the logo Conrad posted. I hate the half-basketball underneath. It serves no purpose. I dislike that it reads "Pelicans New Orleans". I think it is over-shaded. The biggest problem is it's too detailed. Simplify it. You can't reaproduce that logo easily in small forms, so that will lead to a stupid alt logo such as a P in front of a basketball used as the default primary in many instances. Also, if you are going with a name like Pelicans, you need to go the "dolphin wearing a helmet" route and make it a little silly and campy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived