Bend (OR) Bucks - 1988-91 Northwest League interesting (stolen?) logo...

sc49erfan15

I got on a Wikipedia train and, via the Tri-City Dust Devils...ended up at the page for the Bend Bucks. Googled their logo to see what their hat looked like, and I'm sure quite a few of you recognize this logo...

3ab2380a-2459-4036-99c6-708f91a9d0ca.jpg

...it's the same as Browning Arms Company.

thumb-1324734019392-browning_logo.jpg

Anybody know the story on this? I don't know how long Browning has used that logo, but if the Bucks stole it (or if Browning did), that's a pretty blatant ripoff.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Yup, I've been aware of this for a couple years. Was actually going to post something on this a few days ago, so I'm glad someone else has picked up on it.

Now, to answer your question, I don't know the history on this, but it is something I hope to investigate and find some answers to.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

This article says the Browning logo, called the "Buckmark," has been in use since 1978.

However, this little tidbit is interesting:

None of the initial usages carried the registration mark (®). In fact, it was quite a few years before the word logo with Buckmark and the Buckmark alone were formally registered. Both elements eventually were registered but not simultaneously. The reason for this delay was lack of urgency, despite Bailey’s almost paranoid insistence that it was critical to register the mark. He was proven right, of course, and ultimately his wish prevailed.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived