Digby

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the throwback-based shirt for the Union. Especially cool if that's a throwback Bimbo logo on it. I wouldn't think that would be a very good choice for Bimbo, though.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I REALLY like that Union/Bethleham Steel FC throwback.

Its not really a throw back its a black Union jersey with Bethlehem steel emblems sewn on

Fair enough.

I really like the black Union Jersey with Bethlehem Steel emblems on it then.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

It's an homage. Or, to use some vernacular around here, a "fauxback".

Is it really, though? It's a stock Adidas template with two vintage logos slapped on. You could make one yourself with a silkscreen kit and a Eurosport teamwear catalogue.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Im a little disappointed in these

photo-1.jpg

3rdjersey.jpg

Worst execution of a throwback - or fauxback, for that matter - since the 1994 Buffalo Bills throwbacks. And I use the term "throwbacks" loosely.

Granted, who knows what restraints were placed upon them by MLS. Perhaps there wasn't much wiggle room, and Philly did the best they could within the parameters they were offered.

I personally would've gone another route. That "B" is a complete afterthought. I would've tried to do a shadow "B" in the center (something like the shadow sash on the USMNT jerseys). Something to make that "B" a lot more prominent than the lower left hand corner. Sheesh. I blame MLS. I just wish they'd fully embrace the sport's past rather than try and get us to forget it whenever possible.

For reference, here's what Bethlehem Steel looked like back in the day.

1918team.jpg

Is it really, though? It's a stock Adidas template with two vintage logos slapped on. You could make one yourself with a silkscreen kit and a Eurosport teamwear catalogue.

To believe some, that's the epitome of kit design. Mind you, I don't really agree with that, and I do see what you're saying. It would probably be best to move the B up up to where the Union crest is and maybe moving the Union crest to the middle or the upper back would work. (Or maybe just using the Union snake.) But you couldn't really add other trim, because that would move away from what they were trying to do.

In that case, it's a pretty good homage.

Still hate monochrome crests, though.

It's interesting that you absolutely love simple/plain, but you hate tonal crests. I think the tonal crest here works very, very well. Using the full-color Union crest would look very out of place.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's interesting that you absolutely love simple/plain, but you hate tonal crests. I think the tonal crest here works very, very well. Using the full-color Union crest would look very out of place.

Yeah, I contain multitudes. ;)

FWIW, I tend to like simple crests. But not as a rule reducing a complicated design down to a simple one by virtue of click-and-fill monochrome.

I think it's mostly about very few logos looking good when reduced to a single color. Robs them of their complexity and balance. I would have preferred they use the alternate snake logo if they were going to use a tonal logo, for that reason.

Yeah, I contain multitudes ;)

YOU ARE LIKE AN ONION

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The homes are spiffy.

Those blues are a big swing and miss. What a mess. Cool concept, but awful execution.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Toronto's kit is just a tad too busy. If it was just the maple leaf on the front it'd be awesome. I know they're not really similar but it reminds me of the sweet crest that Team Canada had at the latest Olympics.

To believe some, that's the epitome of kit design. Mind you, I don't really agree with that, and I do see what you're saying. It would probably be best to move the B up up to where the Union crest is and maybe moving the Union crest to the middle or the upper back would work. (Or maybe just using the Union snake.) But you couldn't really add other trim, because that would move away from what they were trying to do.

Well, I think it'd be a better throwback with *less* trim. If Adidas removed the stripes or made them tonal black, I'd like it considerably better. And it could go even better on top of that with a simplistic template, rather than a typical modern Adidas template -- although at least those parts were all colored black.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived