Digby

Seattle looks great as usual. Really like the clash even though it probably see much action.

Vancouver's home looks nice. Still wish they'd go with a chest stripe like they used to have, but I guess the Fire already have that market cornered in MLS.

Don't really like Sporting's home shirt. I'm curious to see what color the away will be since the home is light and dark blue. Probably just white, but we'll see.

I said this earlier, but Montreal's third is great. They should have gone with a striped shirt as the home from the beginning.

Sporting will have the same secondary kit as last year. They'll introduce a third kit later this season, but for now both of their kits are completely blue.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something's going to have to be done about all of these stars at some point, or every team's going start looking like Boca Juniors. (Except Red Bull, of course.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Something's going to have to be done about all of these stars at some point, or every team's going start looking like Boca Juniors. (Except Red Bull, of course.)

At some point they'll probably do what Serie A does and only have stars for every ten championships. MLS would obviously start that on a smaller scale though.

Seattle looks great as usual. Really like the clash even though it probably see much action.

Vancouver's home looks nice. Still wish they'd go with a chest stripe like they used to have, but I guess the Fire already have that market cornered in MLS.

Don't really like Sporting's home shirt. I'm curious to see what color the away will be since the home is light and dark blue. Probably just white, but we'll see.

I said this earlier, but Montreal's third is great. They should have gone with a striped shirt as the home from the beginning.

Sporting will have the same secondary kit as last year. They'll introduce a third kit later this season, but for now both of their kits are completely blue.

That doesn't make much sense to have the primary kit light/navy blue and have an all-navy clash kit. Hopefully they roll out the third kit sooner rather than later.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Montreal's third back..

I don't know why they took this route. White numbers would show on black and blue verticale lines all the way to the top.

Some competitions require numbers to be on a solid colour no matter how good the contrast otherwise. Anyone know if MLS uses that?

Montreal's third back..

I don't know why they took this route. White numbers would show on black and blue verticale lines all the way to the top.

Some competitions require numbers to be on a solid colour no matter how good the contrast otherwise. Anyone know if MLS uses that?

To my knowledge, not yet.

That said, chances are Adidas is no longer sublimating stripes on the back panel of their striped kits as this template is used in other leagues where the solid back rule is in effect.

patriotssignature.png

Story about LA Galaxy's new away kit confirms that the gold star takes the place of the "scudetto" for defending champions... http://www.mlssoccer...LSsoccer%2Bpost

I might be in the minority here, however, I'm glad that the Scudetto will no longer be a part of MLS' history.

While I understand the prestige behind wearing the patch, it seemed out of place when this system was randomly implemented beginning in 2006.

Additionally, I take solace in the fact that this is one less European football element adopted by MLS.

Really like the Sporting jersey, definitely picking one up.

The whole two-state concept and shape of the angle on the jersey (and that has always been on the crest) probably doesn't mean much unless you live around here but I think it's a clever graphical way of making the shirt "local" and a much smarter solution than adding a pointless and hideous jock tag to the shirt.

I also really like how the Ivy Funds sponsorship logo picks up the color of the jersey and doesn't stand out. The extra stripe along the state line is a nice touch and I also like how the sponsorship logo doesn't overlap or impede the design. For instance, I love the Seattle away shirt, it's gorgeous, but my one nitpick is how the XBOX text is just kind of overlaid and intrudes onto the stripe design without any real rhyme or reason.

My one nitpick on this SKC shirt is that the Ivy Funds logo itself has the same type of vertical striped elements that the crest does and from a distance it looks like two very similarly shaped and sized logos on the front.

Still, for Adidas and for a club which has had some of the most boring kits around in the past decade, this is way better than I expected and I really think this shirt will be a hit with SKC fans. I expect to see tons of them around Sporting Park this season.

P.S. - even though having a sponsor often hurts the integrity of the actual kit design, I for one am glad SKC finally has one. Maybe I am just jaded from decades of having advertising on kits but it just doesn't seem as professional to not have a sponsor on the shirt now.

Montreal's third back..

It's certainly been the case for a while. Both Chivas' stripes and Dallas' hoops get broken up for the number area on the back. In a more subtle instance, the Timbers' jersey dropped the two-tone split and went with the darker shade for the number area on their 2011-12 kits. I even have an old Nike MetroStars jersey that interrupts the stripes on the back with a solid black circle for the number.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Montreal's third back..

It's certainly been the case for a while. Both Chivas' stripes and Dallas' hoops get broken up for the number area on the back. In a more subtle instance, the Timbers' jersey dropped the two-tone split and went with the darker shade for the number area on their 2011-12 kits. I even have an old Nike MetroStars jersey that interrupts the stripes on the back with a solid black circle for the number.

Exactly, I think it's pretty safe to say this is basically the standard now.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Video look at the new Portland Timbers kits here: http://www.portlandtimbers.com/video/2013/02/28/2013-portland-timbers-jerseys

I don't think they match the near-perfection of the inaugural MLS kits, but I like the Portland flag jock tag and the embossed rose on the away kit.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Portland looks a lot better on a player than it did with just the shirt. I like how they're keeping with the red clash shirt too, that was one of my favorite kits in the league. There's a little too much white for my liking in these, though. I'm guessing they'll have green alternate shorts again? Otherwise, it might be a little hard if they're playing a team in all white.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Portland looks a lot better on a player than it did with just the shirt. I like how they're keeping with the red clash shirt too, that was one of my favorite kits in the league. There's a little too much white for my liking in these, though. I'm guessing they'll have green alternate shorts again? Otherwise, it might be a little hard if they're playing a team in all white.

I'm sure they will. I wonder if the third will be used at all this year. The away is basically the same as the third now, just with an Ajax-style stripe on the chest.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived